• The KillerFrogs

Toughest Regional

Houston Frog

I think we got one of the toughest regionals, but we were one of the last teams to get a host spot, so we probably deserved a tough regional.

On the flip side, we got a great draw in terms of the national seed we are paired up with. Rice is arguably the weakest national seed, and they're only 4 hours away so our fans can make it easily (if we get that far of course)

Limey Frog

I think that any team that can't get a run home against New Mexico with the bags loaded and no outs in the bottom of the ninth is very fortunate to be hosting a regional. Whatever mojo the 2010 Horned Frogs had, we need to find it again if we're going to get out of this bracket. This team has plenty of talent, but they've had some bad luck, haven't always played smart, and don't have much mojo. I'm glad we made it this far, frankly.

kidkarr

Regional is tough for sure. The positive is that our guys will have to get up for every game and that means there is less of a chance someone sneaks up on us. Also, getting out of this regional will have our guy rolling into the super.

yurintroubl

On the flip side, we got a great draw in terms of the national seed we are paired up with. Rice is arguably the weakest national seed, and they're only 4 hours away so our fans can make it easily (if we get that far of course)

We only go there if they win their tournament. Baylor and Cal have both notched wins against Rice this season (interesting - both are "bear" teams and won their contest in extra innings).

I think if we can flip the regular-season script on Oklahoma and Dallas Baptist... Dish out a little payback here in crunch time - There's an above-average chance the Super Regional comes to Fort Worth. :cool:

TCUFrogs

If it were easy everyone would do it. Just like the Frogs had to deal with UT in Austin, Frogs have to deal with OU once and for all to earn their way back to Omaha. Bring it!

Frog79

Rice is arguably the weakest national seed, and they're only 4 hours away so our fans can make it easily (if we get that far of course)

Agreed, but I wonder if they will have many tickets available. Last year UT gave us only a handful and most folks from here got none unless they were players' family members or were very high on the priority points list.

I think that any team that can't get a run home against New Mexico with the bags loaded and no outs in the bottom of the ninth is very fortunate to be hosting a regional. Whatever mojo the 2010 Horned Frogs had, we need to find it again if we're going to get out of this bracket. This team has plenty of talent, but they've had some bad luck, haven't always played smart, and don't have much mojo. I'm glad we made it this far, frankly.

I totally agree. We should completetly ignore the fact that we won over 40 games, had the best conference winning % in the history of our program, have been ranked in the top 10 just about the entire year, and went 10-4 against the Big XII including a win on the road against the Big XII champ.

No, its the fact that we once failed to score a run during one inning of one game against a team that we'd beaten twice before that says alot more about our team. Yeah, makes sense to me.

(Please note the dripping sarcasm of this post.)

Limey Frog

I totally agree. We should completetly ignore the fact that we won over 40 games, had the best conference winning % in the history of our program, have been ranked in the top 10 just about the entire year, and went 10-4 against the Big XII including a win on the road against the Big XII champ.

No, its the fact that we once failed to score a run during one inning of one game against a team that we'd beaten twice before that says alot more about our team. Yeah, makes sense to me.

(Please note the dripping sarcasm of this post.)

I didn't say this team is no good. I actually said they have plenty of talent. And I didn't say we can't or won't get out of this regional bracket. I said that if they are going to get out of this regional bracket they need to find the post-season mojo they had last year. Talent alone isn't enough. You need to play your best when it most matters. Yes they have 40+ wins, yes they can beat anyone, yes they have a great conference winning percentage. This team can do anything. I'm not ragging on our team, so please untwist your panties.

I just think that the situation in that game against New Mexico was representative of several big-game situations. How many times this year did we see men left on bases in the most important points of big ball games? The exact same thing happened in the bottom of the ninth at home against OU. That isn't the only such instance that comes to mind.

Am I really going out on a limb by commenting to the effect that there has been a feeling about this team all year that it hasn't had the "team of destiny" aura about it that the 2010 baseball Frogs had? Is that even that surprising? You can't be that great every year. If someone comments come late November that even though the 2011 football Frogs went a solid 10-2 they just didn't have the magic of the 2010 team are you going to throw a little hissy fit at them?

I'm pretty sure folks on this board have been saying all year that this team has come frustratingly short of their full potential at some clutch moments. [They've also delivered in not a few.] Now we're facing not only the toughest regional, but one including two teams with a 2-0 record against us this year. Is it really that big of a stretch for me to comment that we won't get out of this bracket unless we can find the mojo that fueled Aaron Schultz's series winning home-run down in Austin, or that incredible 8th-inning comeback vs. FSU in Omaha? That doesn't seem too outrageous of a stretch.

PurpleBlood87

Seriously? That call on the bases loaded play was so bad. TCU for the run home but the first base umpire blew the call.

Limey Frog

Seriously? That call on the bases loaded play was so bad. TCU for the run home but the first base umpire blew the call.

As I clarified in response to Frognosticator, I referenced that scenario in the UNM game because it felt representative of several other big-game situations where we've seen men stranded. That has happened quite a few times. Here we are at the end of May and I feel like the vibe around this team isn't the same "do-or-die" midas-touch type feel we saw last year. I think these guys are well capable of that. For one thing most of them were on that team [though obviously some of them in far better health]. This team can do anything. They just have come up frustratingly short in several crucial clutch moments. Considering that, and the fact that we have more home losses than in any of the previous three seasons, as well as road losses to the likes of UT-Arlington, I think even getting the chance to host a regional [against two teams with 2-0 records against us, no less] is better than I expected. Some folks are acting like we just had a right to expect a regional and it would be an obvious injustice if we didn't get one. I think we deserve one as much as a lot of other teams, but you can't demand privileges like post-season home-field advantage unless you have consistently left no doubt. This team is very good and can go far. But the 2011 Horned Frogs haven't consistently left no doubt. The UNM game I referenced was symbolic of that, to me.

tetonfrog

TCU beats ORU, OU and DBU and we'll have our mojo back! You get it back by beating tough teams. Plus, get the OU monkey off our back and we'll be the top team in Houston. I guarantee you the Frogs are pumped! Back-to-back regional hosts - that is outstanding. Props to coach Schloss and the Frogs! They never quit this year.

You earn your trip Omaha. It is not given to you. TCU made it last year the hard way - through Texas - and this year we start with OU and DBU. Cool. Anyone have a TV or streaming schedule? Wish I could be there, especially as I watched TCU play terrible in Norman, but getting even with OU will be sweet.

Go Frogs!

pgdfrog

DBU has one stud pitcher named Williamson, that we saw twice (and beat us twice). He has to throw against OU, so at least we shouldn't have to see him in the tournament. Rooting for the Patriots to take down the Sooners.

UnderToad

Star Telegram article is out . . . looks like TCU plays at 7 pm Friday, Saturday and Sunday as long as they win.

http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/05/30/3114365/horned-frogs-host-familiar-foes.html

I didn't say this team is no good. I actually said they have plenty of talent. And I didn't say we can't or won't get out of this regional bracket. I said that if they are going to get out of this regional bracket they need to find the post-season mojo they had last year. Talent alone isn't enough. You need to play your best when it most matters. Yes they have 40+ wins, yes they can beat anyone, yes they have a great conference winning percentage. This team can do anything. I'm not ragging on our team, so please untwist your panties.

I just think that the situation in that game against New Mexico was representative of several big-game situations. How many times this year did we see men left on bases in the most important points of big ball games? The exact same thing happened in the bottom of the ninth at home against OU. That isn't the only such instance that comes to mind.

Am I really going out on a limb by commenting to the effect that there has been a feeling about this team all year that it hasn't had the "team of destiny" aura about it that the 2010 baseball Frogs had? Is that even that surprising? You can't be that great every year. If someone comments come late November that even though the 2011 football Frogs went a solid 10-2 they just didn't have the magic of the 2010 team are you going to throw a little hissy fit at them?

I'm pretty sure folks on this board have been saying all year that this team has come frustratingly short of their full potential at some clutch moments. [They've also delivered in not a few.] Now we're facing not only the toughest regional, but one including two teams with a 2-0 record against us this year. Is it really that big of a stretch for me to comment that we won't get out of this bracket unless we can find the mojo that fueled Aaron Schultz's series winning home-run down in Austin, or that incredible 8th-inning comeback vs. FSU in Omaha? That doesn't seem too outrageous of a stretch.

Let me just quote you here:

"I think that any team that can't get a run home against New Mexico with the bags loaded and no outs in the bottom of the ninth is very fortunate to be hosting a regional."

That's the comment I was responding to. I thought it a very short-sighted and stupid comment. Especially considering the ump blew the call on that exact play and the Frogs DID show some late inning mojo on that one play.

So get your own panties untwisted.