• The KillerFrogs

Top 5 Frog DT/NT's of All Time

Genbukan

The Frogs should be pretty strong in the middle of the D-Line this year with Grant and Griffin holding down the fort. With the exception of Lilly I don't think Frog DT/NT's have a spectacular history.

1. Bob Lilly
2. Shawn Worthen
3. Royal West
4. Mitchell Benson
5. Kent Tramel

talor

QUOTE(McFroggin @ May 20 2010, 08:48 AM) [snapback]561908[/snapback]
No one comes close to Lilly. The order is:
1. Lilly
2. Lilly
3. Lilly
4. Lilly
5. Lilly

Yep. We haven't really had any studs since I became a TCU fan back in the early 2000s. I hope this changes quickly...David Johnson I am looking at you!

Double D

Tier 1
Fred Washington should be on the list.

QUOTE(Genbukan @ May 20 2010, 01:41 PM) [snapback]561899[/snapback]
The Frogs should be pretty strong in the middle of the D-Line this year with Grant and Griffin holding down the fort. With the exception of Lilly I don't think Frog DT/NT's have a spectacular history.

1. Bob Lilly
2. Shawn Worthen
3. Royal West
4. Mitchell Benson
5. Kent Tramel

Genbukan

QUOTE(Double D @ May 20 2010, 09:10 AM) [snapback]561981[/snapback]
Fred Washington should be on the list.

Forgot all about Fred --- I'd have to put him at #2.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
He's not the best, shouldn't be on the list, but he played hard in games, made a lot of big plays, chased ball carriers down whether far behind or past the LOS and is one of my recent favorites -- PUUUUGH!!!

Frog89

Maybe I'm bias to Fred b/c I played with him and he was such a great guy, but I'd have to put him at #2. He's the best I've seen play at TCU. Didn't get to see Lilly, but nobody's going to ever be better than that guy.

Actually with Fred, Wyatt, Collins and Davis, we had a decent front 4 back then.

South Texas Frog

QUOTE(TopFrog @ May 20 2010, 10:52 AM) [snapback]562026[/snapback]
He's not the best, shouldn't be on the list, but he played hard in games, made a lot of big plays, chased ball carriers down whether far behind or past the LOS and is one of my recent favorites -- PUUUUGH!!!

Not always and that's what kept him in the doghouse.

oldscribe

With the exception of Lilly, who was great in college and even better in the pros, all those who are mentioned played in a two-platoon era. Do not entirely overlook the two-way players like Don Floyd, Bobby Plummer, Norman Hamilton, Ben Boswell, Foster Howell and I.B. Hale (and Allie White, for that matter). Charlie Davis was a good one, too, in the early 70s. Trouble is that it is so difficult to compare players from different eras and different defensive schemes. While DTs in the Patterson defense are keys and do get noticed and appreciated, the scheme seems more DE oriented.

frogmama91

QUOTE(TCUTalor @ May 20 2010, 09:32 AM) [snapback]561946[/snapback]
Yep. We haven't really had any studs since I became a TCU fan back in the early 2000s. I hope this changes quickly...David Johnson I am looking at you!

frogmama91

I think Yendrey will definetly step up to the plate for defensive tackle. He was able to get two sacks for the year with very little playing time. it's going to be exciting to watch him develope over the next few years.

South Texas Frog

QUOTE(frogproud @ May 20 2010, 12:04 PM) [snapback]562100[/snapback]
I think Yendrey will definetly step up to the plate for defensive tackle. He was able to get two sacks for the year with very little playing time. it's going to be exciting to watch him develope over the next few years.

Thought he was moved to DE...did he go back to DT?

frogmama91

Yendrey moved back to DT shortly after they tried him at DE, pretty sure they had people ready to step up and play DE but didn't have alot of depth at DT... makes sense to leave him at DT

Shooter

QUOTE(oldscribe @ May 20 2010, 10:41 AM) [snapback]562075[/snapback]
With the exception of Lilly, who was great in college and even better in the pros, all those who are mentioned played in a two-platoon era. Do not entirely overlook the two-way players like Don Floyd, Bobby Plummer, Norman Hamilton, Ben Boswell, Foster Howell and I.B. Hale (and Allie White, for that matter). Charlie Davis was a good one, too, in the early 70s. Trouble is that it is so difficult to compare players from different eras and different defensive schemes. While DTs in the Patterson defense are keys and do get noticed and appreciated, the scheme seems more DE oriented.

Well said. Floyd, Plummer and Hamilton were absolutely outstanding.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
QUOTE(South Texas Frog @ May 20 2010, 11:00 AM) [snapback]562038[/snapback]
Not always and that's what kept him in the doghouse.

He did that I saw ... I thought his issues were more during the week, not gameday.

Anyway, he's still one of my faves of recent years. Big butt in the middle and made many big plays on both sides of the LOS.

steelfrog

Tier 1
Fred Washington, #2 for sure. And Mitchell belongs there as well, IMO. Talent-wise, Fred was incredible. Does anyone remember the game where the other side was kicking away from Tony and Fred got the ball and rumbled down the field? Hilarious!

RIP, My Friend.

neutral observer

QUOTE(South Texas Frog @ May 20 2010, 11:05 AM) [snapback]562104[/snapback]
Thought he was moved to DE...did he go back to DT?

Yendry moved back to DT. The coaches decided that Maponga was better suited for DE than DT!