• The KillerFrogs

This game was over when we didn't go for it on 4th and 5 at their 35 yd line...

Punter1

...in the 1st quarter.

Just had a feeling that if we were going to play scared and conservative early in the game...it just...we just...we didn't come in with an aggressive enough mindset to win.

This offense needs to take some chances and play with some confidence and that call sends a message to the whole team that we are scared. It says "Offense you suck...you can't get 4.5 yards." And defense..."We don't trust you at their 35."

It was a gutless call that showed our scared mentality all game. You HAVE to go for it there...our offense was struggled all year...its tough to drive 80 yards everytime. You have to at least try and take advantage of that opportunity. The risk/reward factor is in our favor...and it at least sends the message to a struggling team you are here to play aggressive amd confident.

Instead...Gary punts to protect his defense...Coach both sides of the ball GP...we have to score to win and maybe 5% of D1 coaches punt right there in the 1st quarter...

y2kFrog

...in the 1st quarter.

Just had a feeling that if we were going to play scared and conservative early in the game...it just...we just...we didn't come in with an aggressive enough mindset to win.

This offense needs to take some chances and play with some confidence and that call sends a message to the whole team that we are scared. It says "Offense you suck...you can't get 4.5 yards." And defense..."We don't trust you at their 35."

It was a gutless call that showed our scared mentality all game. You HAVE to go for it there...our offense was struggled all year...its tough to drive 80 yards everytime. You have to at least try and take advantage of that opportunity. The risk/reward factor is in our favor...and it at least sends the message to a struggling team you are here to play aggressive amd confident.

Instead...Gary punts to protect his defense...Coach both sides of the ball GP...we have to score to win and maybe 5% of D1 coaches punt right there in the 1st quarter...

I am pretty sure it way less than 5%. It is more like .8% since I’m pretty sure GP is the only one to do it. It is such a negative expected value move no matter how good your defense and offense are.

ftwfrog

The issue wasn’t going for it on 4th and 5. We would’ve called a wide receiver screen and picked up 2.

The issue was throwing on 3rd and 5 in obvious 4 down territory. Run it. Run it on 3rd & 5, pick up 3 or 4 and then you force yourself to go for it on 4th and 1. I remember thinking, this is two-down territory.

Our lowest percentage of success is when we throw, so when we decided to throw on 3rd & 5, I knew we weren’t going to do anything on that drive.

Wexahu

The issue wasn’t going for it on 4th and 5. We would’ve called a wide receiver screen and picked up 2.

The issue was throwing on 3rd and 5 in obvious 4 down territory. Run it. Run it on 3rd & 5, pick up 3 or 4 and then you force yourself to go for it on 4th and 1. I remember thinking, this is two-down territory.

Our lowest percentage of success is when we throw, so when we decided to throw on 3rd & 5, I knew we weren’t going to do anything on that drive.

That was my exact thought. I know the percentages say otherwise but in my mind it seems like we have about a 10% chance of completing a pass for a first down on 3rd and 5. The ineptness of our passing game is just hard to believe. Check out the total passage yardage in the first halves of our three losses, I think it might be under 100 yards (or right at it). In 90 minutes of football. Those are Army and Navy passing stats and we have a Mike Leach disciple running our offense. If that isn’t f’d up I don’t know what is.

4 Oaks Frog

They couldn’t get the right personnel on the field for the very first play of the game, a play that they’ve practiced a hundred times in 6 months. There are just so many issues here, it’s mind boggling.
A truer statement has never been made about this team. And, if it was first time it had happened, excuse might could be made. But, it wasn’t the first time this year we’ve had a penalty the first time we touched the ball...

Punter1

I literally think this on every 3rd and 1-5 inside the 40....

Froggy Style

I agree with both...but you have to score to win.

Sometimes I swear I think GP would rather give up 250 yards and 13 points and lose then 500 yards and 40 points and win. He manages the game that way a lot...

This is the upside down drama triangle we are living in. Our coach prefers to play rescuer rather than coach. He would rather play victim (of injuries, stolen signs, 'young players) rather than creator (of better defensive/offensive schemes).

This is typical in business environment, but shocking from a head coach.

https://powerofted.com/the-drama-triangle/

Eight

this, the inclusion of analytics can be seen in offensive play calling.

a number of programs no longer view it as they have 3 plays to gain 10 yards and if you don't do so you automatically punt.

some programs viewed 3rd and 5 at the opponents 35 as exactly two downs to gain 5 yards and a number of defenses (tcu included) haven't made the adjustment. the defense will give up 2-4 yards and make that 4th down much more manageable.

this is just another example of where the frogs haven't evolved their thinking with the changing of the college game.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I'm still mystified at the sequence beginning with Duggan's monstrous run in the 3rd. I mean, he breaks a tackle from their MLB, stiff-arms a Safety away and makes a mighty leap to the pylon! TD! The whole sideline was elated! Then, the Defense stands up and holds! 3rd down sack, and a punt. Then...

We can't do diddley-squat on offense. Dopey plays. Total lack of execution. Two possessions, ending in a punt pinning K-State on their 5. They drive the field and we lose.

That next possession should have put the game away. We were killing them on the ground, and we decided to pass on 2nd down. And 3rd down. RTDB, dammit!