• The KillerFrogs

The Sporting News: TCU, Kansas State fans confused by officials' questionable calls in Big 12 championship games

hometown frog

Yeah there's no reason in the world why the football can't be "wired" for at the very least, correctly spotting it and knowing if the ball has "broken the plane," both for TDs and First Downs. No reason other than fear of not having excuses for getting it wrong, that is.
Sensors in the tips of the footballs as well as the 1st down markers and the goal line pylons would go a LONG way to better critical spots. Then the only thing you have to do is time stamp against the video system and let the computer tell you if/when it crossed the line and go view if a runner was down or out of bounds at that point.

The tech is there, but just like robo umps in baseball, there’s a human pushback to it for some reason.

Relic

Human nature being what it is, I wonder if the refs were just ticked at listening to Dykes scream at them (mostly well deserved) and decided to stiff him when it mattered most? I mean, it's not like the refs actually suffer any repercussions themselves from it...

FrogCop19

Sensors in the tips of the footballs as well as the 1st down markers and the goal line pylons would go a LONG way to better critical spots. Then the only thing you have to do is time stamp against the video system and let the computer tell you if/when it crossed the line and go view if a runner was down or out of bounds at that point.

The tech is there, but just like robo umps in baseball, there’s a human pushback to it for some reason.
I've always felt this would be the best solution. There would be little to no question as to accuracy if you used BOTH systems, but the chips in both ends of the football would be accurate 99% of the time. My only thought on why they wouldn't want to use it is the refs would feel their judgement would be irrelevant, even though they would still be required for penalties and such.

I *do* recall, however, how many people panicked and raised all hades when they inserted the chip into a hockey puck so people could better follow it on screen. They fear change.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I *do* recall, however, how many people panicked and raised all hades when they inserted the chip into a hockey puck so people could better follow it on screen. They fear change.
No, we fear What They Will Do.

The example of "instant replay" was used. Most people in the TV audience could easily see on their screens the replays, and the question was asked repeatedly, "Why the hell can't you do that on the field?" What the NFL came up with was a terrible kludge that, IMHO, was designed to fail just so they could get rid of it. They did figure out that a "replay" call meant an extra commercial break, so they went with the extra money eventually. And, even with the plain video evidence in front of them, the stupid Officials still got it wrong most of the time anyway.

So, with that sterling example of a Pro League saying, "We'll fix it!" in mind, it's no wonder that average fans are terrified of how the "solution" will only make matters worse...

FrogCop19

The example of "instant replay" was used. Most people in the TV audience could easily see on their screens the replays, and the question was asked repeatedly, "Why the hell can't you do that on the field?" What the NFL came up with was a terrible kludge that, IMHO, was designed to fail just so they could get rid of it. They did figure out that a "replay" call meant an extra commercial break, so they went with the extra money eventually. And, even with the plain video evidence in front of them, the stupid Officials still got it wrong most of the time anyway.

So, with that sterling example of a Pro League saying, "We'll fix it!" in mind, it's no wonder that average fans are terrified of how the "solution" will only make matters worse...
So more akin to "the devil you know vs. the devil you don't"? Makes sense.

Froggy Style

Definitely feels like the big 12 refs haven’t gotten the memo to unwind 10 years of “we don’t want TCU to win” bias. You’d think w OU and Ut leaving, it would be obvious, but I suspect it will take time and wrist slaps.

It was amazing in the basketball tourney to see how a game would look if the officials aren’t so one sided in the hacking calls. Our dominant team actually become dominant.

I wonder if the playoff looks to similarly balance out with PI and holding with neutral -ish officials.

mstrB

Ball location technology has been used in soccer for years now with basically zero complaints. It's an automated system with cameras at all angles which prove it afterwards. Video replay is contentious just like football, but the automated system has been a wild success. Not having that for touchdowns in football in this era is asinine.

CardFrog

In my opinion at least the reviewed calls seemed to get fixed (i.e. targeting) and didn't cost us just imagine before there was review what the outcome could have been? So much of the delay on reviews is trying to then spot the ball and look at time on the clock and adjust as necessary but yes it is a momentum killer for sure.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Ball location technology has been used in soccer for years now with basically zero complaints. It's an automated system with cameras at all angles which prove it afterwards. Video replay is contentious just like football, but the automated system has been a wild success. Not having that for touchdowns in football in this era is asinine.
That's great.

Now, review what I wrote: My example was the NFL and their "Instant Replay" system, which used only League operated cameras and not the zillion Network cameras stationed around the various Stadia, and which had other additional nonsense that rendered the system just awful.

My contention is that the BIGXII, were it to utilize such ready-to-go tech, would take such a simple binary output and figure out a way to make it Byzantine and vague to the point of madness, resulting in yet more confusion. After a year of howling by all member programs, they would "clarify" things, making the rules even more vague and maddening.

I don't have a lick of faith in Those In Charge to do anything other than make matters worse. I would giggle if they were all fired tomorrow, but the joy and laughter would fade knowing that Yormark would only replace them with worse imbeciles...

Outback Frog

I am sure fans of teams in every conference believe their officials are the worst, but #Big12 officials are absolutely the worst. They start offf bad and get worse every week the season progresses.
This ^^^^^

I have said ever since TCU joined the Big XII that I miss the officiating from the MWC, which was rock solid. I have actually seen many high school games better officiated than TCU games with our conference refs. Big XII refs = The Suck! And, furthermore, other fan forums in our conference say the exact same thing as we do about our refs.

Frog Brother

It is not our imagination that Big-12 officiating has been bad this year. I have it good authority that the Big 12 is very aware and it will be addressed in the off season. There isn't much they can do during the season. They don't have enough of a bench to call up enough officials to clean this up during the season. Knowing they understand there is a real problem gives me some hope for next year.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
It is not our imagination that Big-12 officiating has been bad this year. I have it good authority that the Big 12 is very aware and it will be addressed in the off season. There isn't much they can do during the season. They don't have enough of a bench to call up enough officials to clean this up during the season. Knowing they understand there is a real problem gives me some hope for next year.
Kind of slow on the uptake, aren’t they? The B12 suckery has been going on for years.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
That's great.

Now, review what I wrote: My example was the NFL and their "Instant Replay" system, which used only League operated cameras and not the zillion Network cameras stationed around the various Stadia, and which had other additional nonsense that rendered the system just awful.

My contention is that the BIGXII, were it to utilize such ready-to-go tech, would take such a simple binary output and figure out a way to make it Byzantine and vague to the point of madness, resulting in yet more confusion. After a year of howling by all member programs, they would "clarify" things, making the rules even more vague and maddening.

I don't have a lick of faith in Those In Charge to do anything other than make matters worse. I would giggle if they were all fired tomorrow, but the joy and laughter would fade knowing that Yormark would only replace them with worse imbeciles...
Ball tech wouldn’t be a solution in all cases. There views or not of contact with ground and/or whistled dead etc.