• The KillerFrogs

"The Party's Over"

razor488 said:
How do you guys think we will look next year? 

I'm thinking we'll look the same but with better players. Our OL is pretty talentless so with better players we should be better.

I don't think we see more than one offensive coaching change and, maybe, Bumpas retires.

FrogGrillz

the party's over??? According to Willie?? 

well Merle finishes by remind us that the good times aren't really over for good http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ9OzIn9-o4

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I think GMFP is hardly blind to what is going on. I also think he is weighing a number of factors which many have no concept of, as in, if he fires Anderson, what happens to him, his family (I know nothing of the man beyond football, so I stand to be corrected), his kids, etc.? He isn't just a drone that gets tossed to the side of the road and forgotten: he is a friend, colleague and member of the Frog Family of Coaches that makes such moves difficult.

I do not doubt that there will be some extremely hard choices to be made here in the next few weeks.

Somebody posted some old Bum Phillips quotes, and one of those (memory spotty) is apropos: "There's two kinds of coaches; them that's just been hired, and them that's about to be fired." It's a tough way to make a living, and those that read the SI piece on GMFP in the early days know that he led a life of a nomad. I believe he made a conscious decision to not play that game when he was named Head Coach, but sadly, sometimes such extremes are necessary. It is too easy for many Head Coaches to scapegoat their subordinates (ahem, Mack), but there are also times when the problem is such that the only solution is obvious. Ultimately, the duty falls to GMFP.

And he, of all people, knows this fact.

tcujsauce

BrewingFrog said:
I think GMFP is hardly blind to what is going on. I also think he is weighing a number of factors which many have no concept of, as in, if he fires Anderson, what happens to him, his family (I know nothing of the man beyond football, so I stand to be corrected), his kids, etc.? He isn't just a drone that gets tossed to the side of the road and forgotten: he is a friend, colleague and member of the Frog Family of Coaches that makes such moves difficult.

I do not doubt that there will be some extremely hard choices to be made here in the next few weeks.

Somebody posted some old Bum Phillips quotes, and one of those (memory spotty) is apropos: "There's two kinds of coaches; them that's just been hired, and them that's about to be fired." It's a tough way to make a living, and those that read the SI piece on GMFP in the early days know that he led a life of a nomad. I believe he made a conscious decision to not play that game when he was named Head Coach, but sadly, sometimes such extremes are necessary. It is too easy for many Head Coaches to scapegoat their subordinates (ahem, Mack), but there are also times when the problem is such that the only solution is obvious. Ultimately, the duty falls to GMFP.

Which is why you don't fire Anderson or Burns. You take the OC position away from them, let them coach a position, and let them recruit. Bring in ONE OC to run the offense, no more of this co-OC crap.

pgdaly84

TCU J-Sauce said:

Which is why you don't fire Anderson or Burns. You take the OC position away from them, let them coach a position, and let them recruit. Bring in ONE OC to run the offense, no more of this co-OC crap.
I think everyone is missing the real problem: Williamson at OL Coach. Our line has regressed three years in a row to the point that College Gameday has called them the worst in the nation three straight weeks. Even the best OC around can't gameplan around an embarrassingly bad O-Line. We have too much size and talent to be this terrible. If Williamson stays then our offense will not get better.

Cougar/Frog

pgdaly84 said:
I think everyone is missing the real problem: Williamson at OL Coach. Our line has regressed three years in a row to the point that College Gameday has called them the worst in the nation three straight weeks. Even the best OC around can't gameplan around an embarrassingly bad O-Line. We have too much size and talent to be this terrible. If Williamson stays then our offense will not get better.
EW needs to retire, gracefully. CGP can then their a nice farewell party and get a new O-line coach.

A good O-line, which we really haven't had since the Rose Bowl, makes most of this junk go away.

Texas brought in a number of JUCO O-line to get some depth this season. Seems to have paid off......

Of course Mack fired his DC when it was shown he needed to, so Mack is one ahead of CGP, because JA skills have been canned after Tech.....

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
BrewingFrog said:

Spot on. Also the one after J-Sauce. Gary understands what needs to be done, and I for one trust he will proceed in the right manner. He's been making adjustments to the play calling responsibilities, and maybe that's all he's willing to do in the middle of a season - maybe because he thinks it's not professional to fire in-season, I don't know. If that were the case I can respect that. It's not likely the long term answer at OC is sitting around unemployed at this moment anyway (no matter how much I believe in my play calling ability lol).

Equally concerning is the fact that we have three seniors (Dunbar, Tausch, Wooldridge) starting

on the offensive line. Has our evaluation of OL prospects been as equally culpable as our OL 

coaching?

asleep003

Sponger said:
I'm not so sure.  Our great BCS teams were largely due to Fuentes and his ownership of the offense. 

Those teams were largely due to those OLs with Newhouse/Canon/ and lets not forget a Remington award winner, among others. if you have an OL that blows people off the line or even just controls the line of scrimmage ... pretty much everything you do works; even with this staff... though not advocating we settle for the present OC scenario. To be able to run again, like we did years ago, would be exciting.

Cheers !

Dogfrog

Pure Purple said:
Equally concerning is the fact that we have three seniors (Dunbar, Tausch, Wooldridge) starting

on the offensive line. Has our our evaluation of OL prospects been as equally culpable as OL

coaching?
Legitimate question. You have to consider the talent level we're left with following injuries, defections, players kicked out of school, and players who just havent panned out. The evaluation part isnt just on the OL coach. As I understand it, the coaches recruit geographic regions, not by position. But what we have left arent competitive.

berryfrog95 said:
Way to screw up that rose bowl victory
WT?  You're reaching.  TCU program was able to place 5-6 players from that game into the NFL, where they are thriving.  It was instrumental in promoting TCU into the B12, which, as we now see, has been critical. 

The Casey Pachall - led summer, camp and season of 2012 (up to the DWI) is what doomed this current team to where it is today. 

CP is apparently a changed man, but the team was left wandering after a void in leadership (and wrong-headed leadership), and they are still feeling the effects of that.