• The KillerFrogs

The Oklahoman: 'The dirtiest hit we'll see all season.' OU football QB Dillon Gabriel out vs. TCU. Twitter says?

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
I don't see anything about that play that was any more "dirty" than the OU db who launched himself at the TCU receiver before the ball got there, and didn't even get a PI call, much less targeting. Just the result was different, but it could have just as easily turned out the other way.
To ole CJ’s credit he did mention the ref blew this call if you look down towards the bottom of the comments…just to be fair.

Chieves

OU may have the softest fanbase I've ever seen. 2 losses on a first year head coach with a near-total program reset and they're melting down and starting to throw around the cheap play/ moral victory/ nobody wants us to succeed trifecta.

Maybe they can use this energy to prevent their state's public school system from collapsing.

HornyWartyToad

Dirty? Defender was essentially launching himself as the slide began. You wait that long to slide and you’ll get hit a fair amount of the time. Don’t like it? Slide earlier.
Go back and play the video slowly. He began to lean in toward the QB at or *possibly* right before the slide started, but as the sequence developed you could actually see him lower his attack angle to match the QB's angle of descent. My assumption is that was instinctive on his part, but if he doesn't change his angle to match the QB, he probably goes right over him and makes either no or minimal contact. I don't like hearing it called dirty because I want to believe it wasn't malicious, but I'm guessing if it had happened to Max, we'd all be calling it that.

Horny4TCU

https%3A%2F%2Ffansided.com%2Ffiles%2F2012%2F12%2F8234740929_bbd30352f4_o.gif

Like when the 0U lineman punched our guy on the ground and didn't get flagged? Watch the bottom left corner of the video and get pissed. Then be happy we knocked Gabriel out.

*This was when Stoops was coach.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pharm Frog

I forgot all about it a few seconds after it happened. Then they kept reminding me. Then I decided it was a clean hit only because I got tired of hearing about it.

As for malicious…I guess it depends on how you want to define the word but I hope it was malicious as in intending to do harm to the progress of the ball. I certainly would not expect any “benevolent” means of interfering with the progress of the ball. Clearly a foul and time/yardage served yesterday and resumes next week I guess. Also clearly dangerous. But doesn’t nearly meet my definition of “dirty”. To me…dirty is premeditated and/or executed with sufficient time to consciously choose a course of action.

Horny4TCU

TBH, I still don't see the helmet to helmet contact. It looks like he lands on him with his chest and just knocks his head into the ground. Oh well, the 0U fan base deserves every bit of misery to justify how far they've fallen.

Volare

TBH, I still don't see the helmet to helmet contact. It looks like he lands on him with his chest and just knocks his head into the ground. Oh well, the 0U fan base deserves every bit of misery to justify how far they've fallen.
That's exactly right. He mostly went right over the guy.

HornyWartyToad

Agree- the worst part of it was seems to be how hard the back of his head bounced off the floor. Valid penalty though, and I've got no quarrel with the ejection. Lessons learned. But as previously noted, I hope the league office is getting bombarded with some hard questions about the no-PI call on their DB, and that absolutely INSANE phantom fair catch call. WTH WERE THEY WATCHING???

Virginia Frog

Aren't ALL targeting plays considered "dirty." That's way they are penalized so heavily.

This hit wasn't a good one in any way but to dog this TCU player as though THIS hit was so exceptional in it's badness is wrong/extreme.

D players just have to learn "helmets up", but I believe that is more in theory than in practice..when one is in the heat of battle.

TCU D must continue to keep hitting hard. It matters.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Watching it live, I simply saw that Gabriel was waiting until the defender committed himself and then did a slide in attempt to draw a penalty. He knew he was going to get a hit, and was trying to take advantage of the rule to get a cheap penalty. IMHO, he got what he deserved.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

HickoryFlameFrog

Watching it live, I simply saw that Gabriel was waiting until the defender committed himself and then did a slide in attempt to draw a penalty. He knew he was going to get a hit, and was trying to take advantage of the rule to get a cheap penalty. IMHO, he got what he deserved.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
This would imply he is smart and fast thinking?

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
This would imply he is smart and fast thinking?
He may be very smart and fast thinking. He could be the crossword puzzle champion of Norman, OK. Yet, even the quick witted outsmart themselves every now and again.

At the very least, I am willing to bet that he is smart enough not to do that again!

Horny4TCU

He may be very smart and fast thinking. He could be the crossword puzzle champion of Norman, OK. Yet, even the quick witted outsmart themselves every now and again.

At the very least, I am willing to bet that he is smart enough not to do that again!
I hope he is and gets his bell rung again. He'll be the next Troy Aikman.