• The KillerFrogs

The Lufkin Daily News: Seven Panthers set to sign letters of intent Wednesday

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

By JOSH HAVARD/The Lufkin Daily News

... Although Garrett gave his commitment in the summer, he said that didn't stop the phone calls from coming in from various schools.

"I would still get them so I'd listen to what they have to say," Garrett said. "But TCU has such a big-time program and they things that I like, so I never thought about going somewhere else."

Last season, TCU finished the regular season 12-0 and went on to beat Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl. Following Auburn's win over Oregon in the national championship game, TCU was ranked second in both The Associated Press and USA Today polls. ...

2314@work

Contributor

By JOSH HAVARD/The Lufkin Daily News

... Although Garrett gave his commitment in the summer, he said that didn't stop the phone calls from coming in from various schools.

"I would still get them so I'd listen to what they have to say," Garrett said. "But TCU has such a big-time program and they things that I like, so I never thought about going somewhere else."

Last season, TCU finished the regular season 12-0 and went on to beat Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl. Following Auburn's win over Oregon in the national championship game, TCU was ranked second in both The Associated Press and USA Today polls. ...
Have to wonder about the discipline of these kids. You would think that a school with 7 college signees would have at least won a game in the playoffs this year.

Houston Frog

Very nice article. I think Garrett could be a real sleeper in this class.

I remember reading about Garrett after he verbaled to TCU. Someone was on the sidelines with his coach or something at the 7 on 7 tournament in College Station. Apparently Garrett made a freakishly athletic interception look effortless, and the coach just kind of shook his head and said (paraphrasing), "this kid has no idea how good he's gonna be".

Point being, I agree with you. He's kind of flown under the radar, but I think Garrett could be one of the steals of this class.

Second thought on the article.... 174 CFB players in 16 years out of Lufkin? That's 11/year, that's incredible. I know they're not all FBS players, but still

2314@work

Contributor
I remember reading about Garrett after he verbaled to TCU. Someone was on the sidelines with his coach or something at the 7 on 7 tournament in College Station. Apparently Garrett made a freakishly athletic interception look effortless, and the coach just kind of shook his head and said (paraphrasing), "this kid has no idea how good he's gonna be".

Point being, I agree with you. He's kind of flown under the radar, but I think Garrett could be one of the steals of this class.

Second thought on the article.... 174 CFB players in 16 years out of Lufkin? That's 11/year, that's incredible. I know they're not all FBS players, but still

haven't won a state championship in that time. Garrett I hope is OK, but you have to wonder about team discipline when 7 get signed from a team that lost in the first round of the playoffs.

Houston Frog

haven't won a state championship in that time. Garrett I hope is OK, but you have to wonder about team discipline when 7 get signed from a team that lost in the first round of the playoffs.

Yeah, but I don't care about whether or not Lufkin wins State, I just care about whether or not Travoskey Garrett is a good corner at the next level. I'm sure CGP and staff did their homework on whether he's got grade or character concerns.

2314@work

Contributor
Yeah, but I don't care about whether or not Lufkin wins State, I just care about whether or not Travoskey Garrett is a good corner at the next level. I'm sure CGP and staff did their homework on whether he's got grade or character concerns.
I agree ... Patterson does his homework. It is the other six I am referring to.

West Coast Johnny

The thing about Garrett is that he is big & physical like a safety, but fast & agile enough to be a corner. Two years ago I went to the SDSU game and marvelled at how big DeMarco Murrey & Vincent Brown were compared to Rafeal Priest & Nick Sanders. Size disparity at the corner possition isn't going to be an issue anymore.

purplepreacher

The thing about Garrett is that he is big & physical like a safety, but fast & agile enough to be a corner. Two years ago I went to the SDSU game and marvelled at how big DeMarco Murrey & Vincent Brown were compared to Rafeal Priest & Nick Sanders. Size disparity at the corner possition isn't going to be an issue anymore.
another Egypt Allen?