• The KillerFrogs

The Disappearance of Amon G. Carter's Home Field Advantage and Ways to Fix It.

ftwfrog

I honestly don’t think the problems start with the stubhubbers.

These prime seats were bought by companies in Fort Worth. And if my huge FTWFrog insurance company can afford 4 tickets (and now I’m allowed to buy 8), oh and we play OU and Texas every other year when we used to be hosting Wyoming and Colorado State? I’m going to buy them and hand them out to clients & employees and take my mistress every now and then. Oh, we’re playing Arkansas Pine Bluff this week, just leave them on the counter and someone might use them. FTWFrog Insurance Company doesn’t need to sell 2 tickets to the Iowa State game on stubhub when I’ve been robbing people blind all year long.

PurplFrawg

Administrator
hqdefault.jpg

Peacefrog

Degenerate
This makes zero sense and literally has nothing to do with what I’m talking about.

I actually really like my seats. I don’t particularly like that my good seats are surrounded by away fans every game, but outside of moving up a few rows, I honestly couldn’t ask for a better location without having to pay for west side club seats (which I don’t want) or having to move to the west side lower bowl, which is the least fun section in the entire stadium.

The entire point of the opening post was to improve our stadium’s home field advantage by getting actual TCU fans in our stadium’s best seats. But feel free to continue being a dick just to be a dick.
I will continue to do so as long as you keep complaining about everything and being a hypocrite. The seats go to those that buy them. They can do whatever they want with them. Just like you do with your four extra tickets.

And you know you want club seats. You would take them in a heartbeat if you could.

flyfishingfrog

For those of you that don’t recall - the lower west side was part of the old stadium footprint and was not torn down as part of the remodel

because of that - they only had two options - 1) leave it like the student section with twice as many rows as they have now but they would have to be non- back bench seats because of the spacing

or 2) take out the concrete for every other row and put in half as many seats but with much better seating like we have now

they chose the second option under the idea that they could sell those nicer seats right behind the team to larger donors for a big donation and a higher annual ticket cost to increase capital fund raising

while they did raise more money for the construction- I think everyone agrees it backfired from an ongoing atmosphere perspective both because they are almost never full and even when they are, there are still too few people for the acreage involved

they need to find a way to put back the benches and relocate the seat holders that don’t want or can’t sit on benches- I feel confident they could easily sell bench seats behind our team at a premium to enough true die hard fans to compensate the exchange - but I am just not sure what they would do with the current ticket holders that moved out

maybe put them in the east side club since it seems to be struggling to sell out

Last edited:
This post is absolutely ridiculous and just full of all kinds of nonfactual statements. Let's breakdown everything you said, and why it is wrong:
  • "As for StubHub, how does revoking tickets and letting other people buy them from TCU guarantee that the next owners don't sell them? Are you going to create ID-check stations and punch-card system for each game, and require buyers to turn in proof that you and you alone sat in those seats?" According to my suggestion, if you sell your tickets for every game on stubhub, you lose those seats. This exact thing is done all the time in both professional and collegiate sports to make sure good seats aren't being controlled by ticket brokers. Once those seats are released, they are most likely picked up by someone during the upgrade process that intends to sit in them. If for some reason the new person decides to sell those seats all season too, then they obviously also lose them. Unlike the current situation, there would be consequences for buying tickets only to resell, and for the most part, people would stop doing it. Tracking the online resell of tickets is extremely easy. To sell a ticket on stubhub, you have to upload the barcode, which has a digital footprint that is tracked by TCU. Sure, people could still give them or sell them on their own, but this would get rid of the chronic stubhub seller, which is the biggest culprit of our problem.
  • "If there were really all these die-hard TCU fans ready, willing and able to fill the seats between the 20s, then they'd be buying them on StubHub as it is. Opposing fans buy them, so why not our fans? " Umm no. Our core fans are buying season tickets. That's why opposing fans buy their tickets on stubhub. They aren't season ticket holders.
  • "I guarantee you that the cost of buying an end-zone season ticket from TCU, plus the StubHub cost of the individual game(s) you want to sit between the 20s, is pretty much the same as what that season ticket holder paid for that seat." Your "guarantees" clearly have very little value behind them. Each endzone seat is $300. A good seat on the east side on the 50 yard line and fairly low down is $375. Stubhub fees are 15% to the buyer. I can actually guarantee you that it would not even be close to the same cost as what the season ticket holder selling his seats paid to do that.

• "but if you continue buying a large number of endzone tickets, and upgrading every year, you'll eventually get out of there and inch closer to where you want to be." Ah. What a brilliant solution. Just tell everyone to buy up large numbers of endzone seats @ $300 a pop that they don't intend to sit in so that they can slowly catch up to the stubhub resellers that have been buying extra seats and reselling them for years.

• "I promise you that, over time, no re-seller is profiting from buying and selling TCU football tickets. Sure, there might be a game here or there, but overall it's budget neutral." Goodness. Just another blatant lie. I, unlike you, don't just pull stuff out of my ass and claim it as true. I've spent years following this and speaking in depth with people in the ticket office. TCU not only tracks what tickets are sold, they also track how much it sold for. I also personally know people who have bought and resold tickets for years. Let's just say I have it on very good authority that there are people that VERY MUCH make a profit reselling seats.

• "As a result, unless enrollment is doubled, we're never going to routinely fill a 50K seat stadium with an overwhelming majority of TCU fans." This was never my premise. Sure. We will never fill a stadium with 50k TCU fans, but we could do a MUCH better job ensuring the TCU fans that do attend are occupying our best seats and doing our best to keep opposing fans high up and in the corner seats.
I buy 21 season tickets, including two club seats and four parking spots every season. Why don't you sit down and let the adults run the show.

PurpleBlood87

Serious question. Was Amon G Carter ever a real "home field advantage" when playing back in the SWC or was it only when we were largely playing teams from much more distant places who's fan bases didn't travel nearly as well? I seriously don't know because I'm not sure I ever attended a game at AGC when TCU was in the SWC.

Who knows maybe in the 1930s and 50s.

froginmn

I'm not even exactly sure which portion of "home field advantage" we are trying to restore; it's been stated that we can't fill the stadium with our fans so it seems more the case that we're trying to get our fans in the better seats.

Regardless, the way you kill weeds in a lawn is to grow strong grass to choke them out. I would focus on:

Making sure that the game experience remains enjoyable, so casual fans continue to come and we fill the stadium as full as we can with our own fans (alumni and FW adoptees). Things like a vibrant tailgate atmosphere, including lower cost options that appeal to FW folks and those without the means/willingness to spend for prime options. Things like bleacher creatures, which appeals to families. Keep seeking ways to engage fans and make them feel as though they are part of the experience. It's amazing how TCU has worked with the city to have them embrace the team; these efforts should continue.

Stop worrying about opposing fans being there. I've been to plenty of football games in my life, and several games in opposing teams' stadiums. It's fun. Our fans like to travel, and the opposition likes to travel. Who cares if UT fans come to AGC? We have enough seats that they're going to be there. Make sure enough of our fans are in the seats, and make noise for the team. Then beat UT again.

I was at a game in Kansas, and a KU fan approached me and my daughter before the game. He asked if I had tickets. I did, but asked what he had. Two seats on the 50. He'd just won an upgrade (recliner seats or a box) and offered me the seats on the fifty for 20 each. Of course I took them, and had a great time. Me being there didn't harm the KU fans or their "home field advantage"; we had fun with the KU fans and squeaked out a victory. Every fan base has people who are rude to visitors (good job big 12), but you don't have to be an [ Arschloch], you can just have fun.

I"m a season ticket holder at Minnesota but not an alum. I sometimes sell tickets. Usually to U of M fans, but sometimes they are purchased by visitors. It's a free society. Deal with it.

Create a good atmosphere that keeps our fans coming, and don't worry about the fact that opposing fans might actually want to come to our stadium and spend money in FW.

Wexahu

I'm not even exactly sure which portion of "home field advantage" we are trying to restore; it's been stated that we can't fill the stadium with our fans so it seems more the case that we're trying to get our fans in the better seats.

Regardless, the way you kill weeds in a lawn is to grow strong grass to choke them out. I would focus on:

Making sure that the game experience remains enjoyable, so casual fans continue to come and we fill the stadium as full as we can with our own fans (alumni and FW adoptees). Things like a vibrant tailgate atmosphere, including lower cost options that appeal to FW folks and those without the means/willingness to spend for prime options. Things like bleacher creatures, which appeals to families. Keep seeking ways to engage fans and make them feel as though they are part of the experience. It's amazing how TCU has worked with the city to have them embrace the team; these efforts should continue.

Stop worrying about opposing fans being there. I've been to plenty of football games in my life, and several games in opposing teams' stadiums. It's fun. Our fans like to travel, and the opposition likes to travel. Who cares if UT fans come to AGC? We have enough seats that they're going to be there. Make sure enough of our fans are in the seats, and make noise for the team. Then beat UT again.

I was at a game in Kansas, and a KU fan approached me and my daughter before the game. He asked if I had tickets. I did, but asked what he had. Two seats on the 50. He'd just won an upgrade (recliner seats or a box) and offered me the seats on the fifty for 20 each. Of course I took them, and had a great time. Me being there didn't harm the KU fans or their "home field advantage"; we had fun with the KU fans and squeaked out a victory. Every fan base has people who are rude to visitors (good job big 12), but you don't have to be an [ Arschloch], you can just have fun.

I"m a season ticket holder at Minnesota but not an alum. I sometimes sell tickets. Usually to U of M fans, but sometimes they are purchased by visitors. It's a free society. Deal with it.

Create a good atmosphere that keeps our fans coming, and don't worry about the fact that opposing fans might actually want to come to our stadium and spend money in FW.

Agree. A seat filled by an opposing team’s fan is better than an empty seat IMO.

steelfrog

Tier 1
Good post by the OP.

One thing that is being ignored in all of this is the premise that "game day atmosphere" maters to TCU. Steel believes it does not. One thing matters to TCU, a fact which has been repeatedly proven over the years: MONEY.

TCU like any corporation is a greedy pig that must always be increasing its money. Grow money or die.

Pharm Frog

Good post by the OP.

One thing that is being ignored in all of this is the premise that "game day atmosphere" maters to TCU. Steel believes it does not. One thing matters to TCU, a fact which has been repeatedly proven over the years: MONEY.

TCU like any corporation is a greedy pig that must always be increasing its money. Grow money or die.
A strong metaphor with billable hours can be made.

flyfishingfrog

Good post by the OP.

laywer complaining about people being money grubbers? now that is funny for a member of a profession that serves no purpose but their own 99% of the time.

tcumaniac

I'm adamantly opposed to stopping re-sell's on StubHub if that could even be done. Not only will it stop me from purchasing tickets and attending games, I suspect that it will do the same for many others. If I have to purchase a full season's worth of tickets knowing that I can only use about half of them, I'm going to purchase precisely none.

As am I. Season ticket holders should totally be allowed to utilize stubhub to resell tickets for games they cannot attend.

Let me be crystal clear, I am definitely not calling for the removal of stubhub all together. Stubhub is a great platform for people who can't attend a particular game, or for someone like you where it doesn't make sense to buy season tickets.

What does need to be eliminated is the chronic stubhub reseller that buys tickets that they never intend to sit in and immediately lists every single game on stubhub.

steelfrog

Tier 1
A strong metaphor with billable hours can be made.

Small difference is that Steel doesn't pretend to be anything other than that. If you want to hire Steel, you can. If you don't, then don't.

TCU plays on people's loyalties, almost like a religion. TCU literally begs for money. Remember them begging for money in the latest capital campaign right during the Texas game this year? TCU begs for money as if poor, and at the same time never misses an opportunity to make money. Their first question when it comes to any decision is, how do we profit from this?

WhatTheFrog

I think home field advantage really just comes from the players and coaches not being taken out of their normal daily routines (waking up in their own beds, no travel before the game, familiar environment, etc). The university only must care about game day atmosphere to the extent that they can maintain the vast majority of their season ticket sales. After that, it's all about revenue.

Fine suggestions. I'd certainly be curious the cost to destroy and re-pour the lower west side, definitely a design mistake.

That being said - winning will cure 90% of the problem. I'm considering dropping my season tickets after next season, but it has nothing to do with opposing fans or empty seats. I've lost a degree of hope we can actually compete for a NC and we aren't trending in the right direction as a program. Combined with a move to Houston and two very young children, it's hard enough to make one game a year. The product is quickly becoming not worth the considerably greater effort. I'll probably never drop them because I have bad TCU football FOMO, but I'm considering it for the first time.
FOMO (also sometimes appearing in lower-case form as fomo) is a trendy new acronym standing for the expression fear of missing out, used to describe that feeling of anxiety which many people experience when they discover that other people have had fun together, been successful at something, or done just about anything