• The KillerFrogs

"The Carter"

Nick Danger

I forgot the sarcasm emoticon ...
Here ya' go...

http://media.scout.com/media/forums/emoticons/215/sarcasm.gif

sarcasm.gif

Matthewavp

I will always just call it "the stadium" or "Amon Carter" or "ACS", depending on the context of the sentence, but "Hell's Half Acre" is so clearly the coolest nickname out of all the choices listed. It has a historical significance to the city of Fort Worth, it's not something cheesy we just made up and are trying to force down peoples' throats, and it's awesome sounding.

I mean, I probably wouldn't ever use it in casual conversation or anything.... "hey guys, what time are y'all heading out to Hell's Half Acre tomorrow?".... just doesn't sounds right, it sounds forced. But it's still a cool nickname and is good for signs and t-shirts, etc....

I agree completely. I think the argument will take care of itself. "The Carter" has some merit because of Mr. Amon G Carter. The current fad and connection with Lil Wayne will be gone just like the Macarena, tags on hats, and Soulja Boy. But Hell's Half Acre is great for marketing and having something that opponents and their fans will remember after even just one visit.

jsfrog

and carters aren't ftw aritocrats...i think amon and his progeny just a little too wacky for ftw polite society
in fact amon believed in ftw and tcu...his grandchildren attended. and the man did great things for ftw and tcu, you know before either were cool.

Those wacky grandkids ... I guess we shouldn't re-hash that story :tongue:

HickoryFlameFrog

i am in your camp hff.....

but i am always gonna take a few jabs at ftw aristocray. kelly an moncrief's want to put their names on buildings.fine. give em a plaque and free parking.

and carters aren't ftw aritocrats...i think amon and his progeny just a little too wacky for ftw polite society
in fact amon believed in ftw and tcu...his grandchildren attended. and the man did great things for ftw and tcu, you know before either were cool.

but the fact is...no one under the age of 45 gives a damn about carter, that's their loss.(and for instance isn't the AGC Museum known as 'the carter')? agc was a fascinating guy. he is appropriate as a mascot of the little university that could.

put to a vote...i would vote amon carter

Jab away and take a few pot shots as well, cause the "good ol' boys' of Fort Worth
certainly were nowhere close to being nominated for sainthood.
But for better or worse whatever Fort Worth and TCU are today is due
to some real life Pecos Petes.

The Aggies and Longhorns don't have an exclusive claim on all things Texan.
Students, Friends and Fans should know and be proud of TCU's history and they
don't have to take a back seat to any university in Texas when it comes to legends and history.

And contrary to that Longhorn saying about God loving Longhorns because he made the sunsets
burnt orange, well, the truth is God really loves Horned Frogs cause those burnt orange sunsets
fade into the most majestic shades of purple just before nightfall.

As much as TCU loves Schmidt, Dutch, and Abe
Amon G. Carter personified a lot of what TCU
has become in getting to where it is.

P.S. No burnt orange in jsfrog's signature

hindry

hff......i officially nominate u as the heart and soul of KF

i offer this comment to the 'younsgters' here

if you read a history of tcu and add-rann and ftw , they all entertwine....in a fascinating way

we are not a land grant college which accidentaly sat on top of the world's largest oil reserve

we were a smallish liberal arts university that boot strapped itself into prominence( and a little oil money)

we were never that smug little college of izod wearing real estate heirs(in texas dallas was it for a long, long time)

we were never a bunch of hill billy clodhoppers or [Deleted] kickers'

and we never were a college in strangle hold of a bunch of bigots and simpletons(waco taliban)

but we have elements of all

tcu is a unique story, riven with characters large and small.

i personally am flumoxed that we are here...guys with no particular history with ftw or frogie-land set us on a course of success and re-known..and dam grateful for what they have done

this may be the year we do it all......and after the seniors graduate we will decline..a little

but its a wild ride and i am enjoying myself thourgholy(sic)

my vote: dalton-baugh field at the amon g. carter stadium

can i get a second?