• The KillerFrogs

Thanks Coach Doug Meacham

ECoastFrog

steelfrog said:
Ya but CGP will not forever.  Wacker didn't forever. And neither has any other coach in the history of ever.  So, do we do a deliberate succession plan or do we hope we luck out?

What about Meacham as co-head coach?

Since when did you start becoming rational?   :biggrin:   I wanna stick my head in the sand on this one.

TCUdirtbag

Credit to all of our offensive coaches --

Meach, who came in and implemented an effective new offense without the ideal personnel 

Cumbie, who coached Boykin into a winning QB overnight

Anderson, who humbly took his demotion and has vastly improved the O-Line

Burns, who likewise humbly took his demotion and has coached up our outside receivers 

Luper, who is doing a great job over at RBs

Oliver, the GA who is helping Anderson get the O-Line back on track

And of course Patterson for sacking up and reshaping his offensive staff. 

TCUdirtbag

Reptilian said:
And only 5 games in. Remember tech trolls saying it would take 2-3 years? Will only get better. Really need to limit the 3 and outs. The 4 in a row in the 1st have was like a young Mike Tyson working the body of our defense.

It's not just tech trolls who thought it would take time to get the offense rolling.  We can see the immediate effect in the past couple weeks, yes, but when we've recruited to this offense for a few years--just imagine what it will be able to do.  

TCUdirtbag

SouthTulsaPoke said:
You will have him, at most, one more year.

You pay Meacham $100K less than OSU pays Mike Yurcich. Meacham is a Cowboy. If we want him back, we'll get him. 

But most likely, you will lose him to an offer to OC at a larger program, or as a HC at an intermediate school. The more successful he is, the likelier you are to wish him good luck. 

OSU was able to keep Holgorsen for one season. We were able to keep Todd Monken for two years. 

Enjoy him while you have him.

lol at the thought of OSU "taking him back" as an OC --- (Burro digging spots) didn't give him the chance to be OC when he deserved it a couple years back, so he moved on.  Fort Worth is a way better place to raise a family than Stillwater, Oklahoma.  Get over yourselves.  

Also, you have no idea what Meach is getting paid (private schools have the advantage of not having to publish these things).  And everyone knows TCU can go dollar-for-dollar against OSU.  

Dogfrog

SouthTulsaPoke said:

You pay Meacham $100K less than OSU pays Mike Yurcich. Meacham is a Cowboy. If we want him back, we'll get him. 

But most likely, you will lose him to an offer to OC at a larger program, or as a HC at an intermediate school. The more successful he is, the likelier you are to wish him good luck. 

OSU was able to keep Holgorsen for one season. We were able to keep Todd Monken for two years. 

If he has any pride he'll tell T-Bone to stick it up his patooty. Besides, TCU has Barnett money. T-Bone has been tilting at windmills.

traderfrog

SouthTulsaPoke said:

^ This is absolutely correct. I love Meacham and Cumbie, but let's be real. Cumbie left his alma mater because he wanted to be able to prove his ability as a play caller, and you know both would take good head coaching jobs if they came along. Justin Fuente did the same. There's nothing wrong with that - it's part of college football. It's very rare to see a Kirby Smart (or Dick Bumpas) for that matter who stays as an assistant coach for a long time.

If Cumbie and Meacham had TCU ties it would be different, but if the Tech and OSU head coaching jobs became available, respectively, you know that's their dream job. But let's enjoy them while they are here. And if they do decide to leave, at least we'll be able to have an offensive identity established where we can bring in another good coach with a similar philosophy.

Ron Swanson

steelfrog said:
Question:

Erbody has to have a succession plan.  Not that GP is old--he's barely 50.  but, just for fun:

Meacham here for say, 4-5 years, and then GP hands over the reigns as HC and Cumbie OC.

Does anyone think maybe succession planning is what lured Meacham here?  Or at least was that issue part of the dialogue?

No

TCUdirtbag

traderfrog said:
^ This is absolutely correct. I love Meacham and Cumbie, but let's be real. Cumbie left his alma mater because he wanted to be able to prove his ability as a play caller, and you know both would take good head coaching jobs if they came along. Justin Fuente did the same. There's nothing wrong with that - it's part of college football. It's very rare to see a Kirby Smart (or popsicle Bumpas) for that matter who stays as an assistant coach for a long time.

If Cumbie and Meacham had TCU ties it would be different, but if the Tech and OSU head coaching jobs became available, respectively, you know that's their dream job. But let's enjoy them while they are here. And if they do decide to leave, at least we'll be able to have an offensive identity established where we can bring in another good coach with a similar philosophy.

I don't think anyone argues with the fact they'd leave for HC gigs. I think most take issue with the idea that they'd leave for an equivalent position at another Big 12 school.  IMO, Meach won't ever coach on a Gundy staff--Gundy should've given Meach the chance and didn't.  Cumbie ain't going back to Tech unless Kliff is out because OC at Tech under Kliff is like DC at TCU under Patterson--a title only. 

Purp

We aren't losing Meacham or Cumbie for anything less than an HC or sole OC job respectively. TCU will match any money they may be offered for a lateral transfer so the only way we lose either of them is for a big promotion. And given the changing nature of P5 versus other FBS football I'm not totally sure an intermediate HC job would lure them away.

Also, the OSU HC job isn't going to be available any time soon. Likewise, as bad as he's been so far, I think KK will get to replace hos entire staff twice before getting canned. His place in TT football history gives him a much longer leash than most young HCs.

TCUdirtbag

Ron Swanson said:

+1. My guess is that Meacham will be here 2-4 years total and will then take an HC gig somewhere.  Cumbie then takes over play calling duties and we bring in a new Co-OC / WRs coach to learn the system.  

The Co-OC system is both a professional courtesy and a built-in succession plan for when the more senior Co-OC (the play caller) leaves.  

I don't think we're anywhere close to a CGP succession plan.  Patterson is 54--he could very well have 11 years in him. He does seem to me, though, like the type of guy that will recognize when it's time and decide it's time to retire one day and start traveling.  I think since he has complete ownership of the TCU football program that he'll do what he can to make sure there's a succession plan in place during his final few years.  

jewstfrogit said:

I don't think anyone argues with the fact they'd leave for HC gigs. I think most take issue with the idea that they'd leave for an equivalent position at another Big 12 school.  IMO, Meach won't ever coach on a Gundy staff--Gundy should've given Meach the chance and didn't.  Cumbie ain't going back to Tech unless Kliff is out because OC at Tech under Kliff is like DC at TCU under Patterson--a title only. 
That's just wishful thinking. Oklahoma State's OC job is one of the plumb jobs in the NCAA. All four of our last OCs are now FBS HCs (Gundy, Fedora, Monken and Holgorsen).

Due to this, we're in a position to offer the OC job to coaches with experience calling plays. I'm confident that Gundy advised Meacham to find an OC position that would let him run a similar offense, to get experience When he was at Houston, he would've been brought back in a heartbeat.

I concede that TCU makes luring Meacham back, should we want him, a little more problematic. But in the end, we have a bigger budget, he's spent 12 years of his life in Stillwater, their family is here and we will be more forgiving of a down year, because he's part of the Cowboy family. 

20111104_B1_20111104_meachamb1%255B1%255D.jpg

bscttyb

Meacham is from the area (or maybe his wife is?), he will leave when a head coaching job comes available, not for another OC position.  TCU will pony up the money if it is warranted. Money won't be a factor.

Scott

"KillerFrogs.com....your source for TCU SPORTS"
jewstfrogit said:

SouthTulsaPoke said:
That's just wishful thinking. Oklahoma State's OC job is one of the plumb jobs in the NCAA. All four of our last OCs are now FBS HCs (Gundy, Fedora, Monken and Holgorsen).

Due to this, we're in a position to offer the OC job to coaches with experience calling plays. I'm confident that Gundy advised Meacham to find an OC position that would let him run a similar offense, to get experience When he was at Houston, he would've been brought back in a heartbeat.

I concede that TCU makes luring Meacham back, should we want him, a little more problematic. But in the end, we have a bigger budget, he's spent 12 years of his life in Stillwater, their family is here and we will be more forgiving of a down year, because he's part of the Cowboy family. 

jewstfrogit said:

BINGO!!

South TexasPoke....you think you know, but can assure you he would ONLY go back to OSU as a HC. And yes...I DO KNOW.

Limp Lizard

Still trying to figure out what a "big program" is with respect to TCU.  Ranked, in a great City, top-notch university (don't know if any of our players have been totally illiterate....it isn't OSU).  Only a lot more money might work, but I doubt that we would not go down easily.  OC is just a lateral move.

Head coach is what has me worried.

froginaustin

I doubt TCU will have a successor-presumptive or a head coach in waiting, either by a quiet handshake or a public announcement, until Patterson tells them they need one.  The Stewart-to-Holgorson screw up at WVU, and the Brown-to-Muschamp embarrassing situation at UTx are case studies in how that might go very badly.

IIRC Frank Windigger once told us that any AD has a file of prospects in the back of an obscure filing cabinet just in case a HC is hit by a bus.  But I doubt there is any understanding with anyone, about who might replace Patterson (or Schloss or Trent Johnson, for that matter) down the line.

Purp

SouthTulsaPoke said:

Apparently you aren't paying attention.  By the time the Pokes have a chance to offer Meach a lateral transfer to be OC in Stoolwater he'll be getting offers to be head coach by FBS schools all over the place.  

Even if this weren't true your premise is also absurd.  If you're Struggling FBS U and you need a new head coach are you going to take a guy who's been OC for a couple years at a place known for big time offense under the HC or a guy who came into a school known for defense and improved the offense by 171 yards per game in his first year?  He has a much better opportunity to impress prospective HC employers at TCU than OSU. 

Even if that weren't true also, the idea that your budget is so much more significant than ours that you can afford to pay him more is also absurd.  OSU will not be able to offer him more than TCU will.  Period.  You can offer him a raise, but TCU will match it every time.

Finally, you seem to be ignoring the fact that Meach doesn't want to work with/for Gundy.  Maybe he loves Stoolwater and would love to move back there and coach one day, but he's talked to enough folks around FW for us to know he's not going to be leaving GP's staff for the same position on Gundy's staff.  You're articulating a pipe dream here and you ought to let it go.  It's just never going to happen hot rod.

Also, we all know he was an OL at OSU in the 80s so posting a picture doesn't help you make a point.

SnoSki

Scott said:
If you had not arrived, we wouldn't have anything to argue about. No way we keep up with that Baylor team, without our new offense. NO WAY!
Amen.

With last years offense we lose 61-18 and lose allllllll credibility we had built up to this point.

froginaustin

That's just wishful thinking. Oklahoma State's OC job is one of the plumb jobs in the NCAA. All four of our last OCs are now FBS HCs (Gundy, Fedora, Monken and Holgorsen). . . .

The unintended dark humor of this post is striking.  All of these fine coaches (I mean that seriously) are in their first HC jobs, with Fedora, Monken, and Holgorsen in their first contracts (IIRC).  I wouldn't expect Gundy to have any angry customers, but each of Fedora, Monken, and Holgersen are suffering some degree of hot-seat, and may be winning games elsewhere as a coordinator or position coach in the not-to-distant future.