• The KillerFrogs

TCU vs OSU Fly-by

NewFrogFan

The plane is 57 years old now. How would you like to continually pilot an aircraft that may be twice as old as you are?

On the other hand, Uncle Sam sure got his money's worth on longevity.

When I flew it at Castle in 1980, the Sacremento Bee came in and used me as their photo op for a story on the airplane being older than the pilots flying it!
I never was much for “family model” USAF planes, thus my very short 2 year B52 “career”! They had G models out at Castle too but I only flew H so really I was older than the plane!

ShreveFrog

They are being re-engined and are expected to fly into the 2050’s. They are retrofitted with new weapons capabilities. An instructor pilot at Barksdale told me they are routinely taken apart and rebuilt to maintain airworthiness. @NewFrogFan could probably explain this more precisely.

NewFrogFan

We live near Barksdale. Frequently see and hear BUFFs on approach or takeoff. The sound of freedom!

They still have the same fan engines and they have been trying to find a new engine that doesn’t lead to bouncing on the ground on OB stations. The cockpit might be the last round gauge airplane left in the USAF. UPT students that fly it now, fly T-6, glass, and T-38 glass! They get in a Buff and think they are in a museum.......they are right!

ShadowFrog

Moderators
They still have the same fan engines and they have been trying to find a new engine that doesn’t lead to bouncing on the ground on OB stations. The cockpit might be the last round gauge airplane left in the USAF. UPT students that fly it now, fly T-6, glass, and T-38 glass! They get in a Buff and think they are in a museum.......they are right!
You forgot the built-in coffee cup holders and....ash-trays.

Latest posts