• The KillerFrogs

TCU v UNLV tourney game 1

JugbandFrog

This team is a roller coaster of joy and pain. I can't stand to watch these kids give games away. In spite of the bad calls, they never should have been in this position.

Spike

Let's not overexaggerate here. Coats clearly beat the throw, but it wasn't by a step, or even half a step. It was bang-bang, but the umpire shouldn't have missed that one.

That was a prime example to those who say an umpires missed call never costs you a game. That one did.

We sucked tonight, that is what cost us the game. More errors than runs, many runners left on. Only had a chance in the 9th because of a mini meltdown by UNM. Really hated seeing that smirk on RB's face.

Pharm Frog

Pena thrown out trying to steal, 1 out.

This was a critical play in this game and should have never happened. Instead of sliding into the back edge of the bag (as should be done on almost all steal attempts at 2B), for some inexplicable reason, we try to steal it straight into the middle with a sit-down slide that allows for a tag on the front side of the bag high on the runner. I know that one doesn't necessarily "think" that they'll throw through with a runner at third but "thoughts" shouldn't even be a part of this play. Steal the base the right way and we definitely score an additional run and maybe a few more.

On a similar note in the 9th, when the poorly executed bunt went into the air directly toward the mound, there wasn't a lot of "out-of-the-box" hustle demonstrated which could have cost us a DP right then had NM been able to throw down and turn. I can stomach losses, but these types of things gall me as a fan and spectator.

TCURiggs

This was a critical play in this game and should have never happened. Instead of sliding into the back edge of the bag (as should be done on almost all steal attempts at 2B), for some inexplicable reason, we try to steal it straight into the middle with a sit-down slide that allows for a tag on the front side of the bag high on the runner. I know that one doesn't necessarily "think" that they'll throw through with a runner at third but "thoughts" shouldn't even be a part of this play. Steal the base the right way and we definitely score an additional run and maybe a few more.

On a similar note in the 9th, when the poorly executed bunt went into the air directly toward the mound, there wasn't a lot of "out-of-the-box" hustle demonstrated which could have cost us a DP right then had NM been able to throw down and turn. I can stomach losses, but these types of things gall me as a fan and spectator.

All of that sucked (particularly Pena getting thrown out), but the whiff at SS to allow two to score did us in. Bottom line, you make that play, or at least knock it down, and it's a different story.

leofrog

And, it kinda irks me that the broadcasters can't come out and say that was a blown call. Maybe they did, but I didn't hear it. I just heard some homer speak. And yes, we lost because of more than that!!

Pharm Frog

Let's not overexaggerate here. Coats clearly beat the throw, but it wasn't by a step, or even half a step. It was bang-bang, but the umpire shouldn't have missed that one.

That was a prime example to those who say an umpires missed call never costs you a game. That one did.

Was not "bang-bang". Just saw the post with the still pic and even that doesn't do it justice as to how "non-close" that play really was. The DVR still facing the right field wall is amazingly clear just how far the ball was from the mitt when Coats touches down. As an umpire, you're taught to watch for the foot to hit and listen for the ball to hit mitt. There's simply no way you can blow a call that badly if you are even close to being "in the game". Even so....if the play is so close that your senses (hearing and sight) can't distinguish, it's common baseball to declare safe as opposed to out. And...you are right. When everyone is hustling, there are very few plays at first base that are decided by a full-step. Given the closing speed of a ball approximately 4-6 feet away, I'd say less than half-a-step is right but that's still not necessarily "bang-bang"....maybe "bang-------bang." :unsure:

Spike

And, it kinda irks me that the broadcasters can't come out and say that was a blown call. Maybe they did, but I didn't hear it. I just heard some homer speak. And yes, we lost because of more than that!!

They showed the replay a number of times but it alost seemed like they were holding their tongues. I'm not sure that Christenson knows the difference between out and safe, ball or strike, hit or error. It's not football and it doesn't involve BYU so he's completely clueless.

Good night Frog Fans! Not that I'll sleep tonight. See you at 5.

Pharm Frog

All of that sucked (particularly Pena getting thrown out), but the whiff at SS to allow two to score did us in. Bottom line, you make that play, or at least knock it down, and it's a different story.

Oh... I agree with you on that one as well. My son had just returned from Bricktown where he watched OU drop to KSU (We're headed downt there tomorrow to catch all four games). He was screaming, "knock it down...knock it down...." Even the 14-yr-old realized that you play tied instead of behind had you just "knocked-it-down". When we went to the bare-hand attempt in the 9th, I had to make him go to his room before he said the "magic word" that Mrs. Pharm would have used as justification for sending him to NMMI.

sandiegojack

New Mexico tried to give us the game in the ninth inning, but the Frogs refused to take it. The TV announcer said something like TCU has not won a game all season where we trailed after eight innings. Is that correct?

Seemed like a too typical loss: losing to an inferior team, errors, not hitting in the clutch, runners thrown out stealing. Summarizes the season.

sdj

PurpleBlood87

Just finished watching the game and that wasn't even a bang, bang play. Coats foot is on the bag and the ball is clearly not even in the glove. Sorry that's a terrible call. Wasn't even close.