• The KillerFrogs

TCU: The Western Front of the Big East

Should the Frogs Go to the Big East?

• Total voters

stevenkpayne

When I first heard about this, like Randy Galloway of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, I pretty much said "Yeah Right!" Then, the more I thought about it and the more I read about others ideas, the more I like it. Here are a few factoids that make this a good thing:

1. Auto-Qualifying BCS Conference: This is a no-brainer. The MWC's future as an AQ does not look bright now that Utah and BYU are leaving. The Big 12 remnant is not interested in TCU spoiling their party, so an invitation from them is not so sure even if they decide to get back to 12 for a championship game. No matter how you slice it, if the BCS continues, there is no better path for the Frogs than to be in an AQ conference.

2. Big East Media and Market Exposure: Despite the BE's current troubles in perceived football strength, the fact is that everyone in the BCS world is looking for any ways possible to preserve the BE's AQ status. Their media and market exposure is actually very good, and their TV contract relationship is quite nice compared to MWC and the Big 12. With TCU coming in, that is just the credibility they need to keep AQ going. BE is a darling of the eastern media markets and ESPN and that kind of exposure would be great for our Frogs.

3. Travel: There is really no problem here. Since the old SWC's demise, TCU has been traveling either West or East for 13 years (WAC, C-USA and MWC). The "new" MWC travel schedule will be just as arduous as a BE schedule.

4. Frogs Become the Formidable Western Front of the Big East: I like this moniker.

5. Two BE Expansion Ideas: Along with the Frogs, bring in 3 additional teams to get to 12 football schools with a championship game. I see two potential winning scenarios here. First scenario: Add TCU, SMU, Houston and Central Florida. TCU/SMU/Houston could rekindle the old SWC rivalries, and let's face it, SMU will get it's glory back with June Jones. They are patterning themselves after the Frogs, "pull yourself up by the bootstraps/climb the ice-covered cliff" and it's beginning to work. They will be an honorable partner/rival with TCU in the new western division of the BE. Houston will play strong too. Central Florida is in a good market and can be a great rival with South Florida. Second scenario: Add TCU, Houston, Kansas and Kansas State. The BE, being a great basketball conference should love this, and it provides for a solid "western" division for the BE. And, let's be honest, the Texas/AM/OK/OKST groupies will likely kick KU and KSU to the curb when they finally merge with the PAC 12 to become the PAC 16.

6. If Big East gets to 12 teams, which includes the powerful TCU, they will not lose their AQ status. And, the chances of them being raided by the Big 10 or ACC diminishes.

7. What are realistic alternatives: MWC getting AQ? Not likely now. Big 12 inviting TCU? I'm afraid those cowards will never be interested in a new Sheriff in town. Big 10 invite? Maybe, but they'd have to commit to 16 total team now that they are at 12. So, doubtful. Pac 10/12 invite. Won't happen. SEC invite? Well, that's possible, but it won't happen unless SEC commits to 16 total teams.

What do you think?

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
This is much more than a rumor. Talks have already happened between TCU and the Big East. Google "TCU Big East" to get the scoop.

Wow, you would think we would have heard something, but scrolling through the posts I see no mention of the big east.

Gunner

TCU accepts Big East bid. 0ne and half years later, MWC boots BE out of BCS. Was it worth the risk?

Hope we think this thing thru. TCU Boise San Diego Air Force, will overwhelm a sorry football conference eventually. And that includes the ACC and the Big East...

And you better know, that guy out there at San Diego can coach and recruit. Watch out for him....

I'm mixed on this, but it all worries me..