• The KillerFrogs

TCU Tennis

NNM

I can eat 50 eggs
It's both. Because Baylor is that messed up. You should be proud.

Yup. Football player kicked and beat a dog with a belt on tape, and was proud of it. Baseball players skinned a cat (¡que viva Queso!), and were proud of it. Football coach recruited rapists, coaching staff and administration shielded them and shamed their victims, and the fanbase is proud of it.

Jared7

The shooting, torture, clubbing and skinning of Queso the Cat by Baylor baseball players outside Taco Cabana in Waco has been well known for over a decade as has been the suspicious deaths of at least 19 bears held in custody by Baylor through the years, but other than the time in 1902 when the Baylor President threw a dog out of the chapel window, I was unaware of any other blatant dog torture by Baylor personnel. Please enlighten me. Torturing animals does have a rich and lustrous history at Baylor, though, so any recent incidents wouldn't really surprise me. But Baylor's long-standing historical cruelty to animals has been topped by the Baylor basketball murder and all the recent rapes, sexual assaults and rape-enabling in recent years, culminating in all the organizing, cheering and egging on of various lawsuits against the trustees and other Baylor people that has been going on most recently by Baylor fans. If a dog was recently tortured, it was probably because it committed a horrible 'crime' like pooping on a #CAB banner or something.

But this is a tennis thread, not a 'Baylor behaving badly' thread. The reason Baylor got good in tennis is probably because Knoll is a good coach, Baylor got a lot of money by using their political connections to force their way into a BCS conference and spent it on non-revenue sports like tennis and because he, like at many other schools, started recruiting players from outside the U.S., most of whom probably had never even heard of Waco, much less been there. TCU is relatively unique in that most of our players are Americans (Rybakov, Johnson, Stalder, Blake, Daniel etc...) although the Frogs also recruit from outside the borders (Norrie, Nunez, Lopez...) and have been doing so for years (Roditi, Weir-Smith, Fisher...). Given the announced changes by the ITF to take effect in 2019, that seems only likely to increase as there will be a lot more players around the world seeking tennis scholarships as the bottom level of the pro tours transitions to a "no-money" circuit.

The anticipated match-ups on Wednesday will be Norrie v. Benitez; Rybakov v. Tchoutakian, Nunez v. Schretter, Lopez v. Little, Johnson v. Bendeck and Stalder v. Franzen although that might change. The new rankings will come out on Tuesday, but as of now it'll be a Top 10 match-up of #4 v. #9. The Frogs can clinch the Big12 regular season championship for the 2nd consecutive year with a win against either Baylor or UT.

Je Suis Queso!

Last edited:

Pharm Frog

The shooting, torture, clubbing and skinning of Queso the Cat by Baylor baseball players outside Taco Cabana in Waco has been well known for over a decade as has been the suspicious deaths of at least 19 bears held in custody by Baylor through the years, but other than the time in 1902 when the Baylor President threw a dog out of the chapel window, I was unaware of any other blatant dog torture by Baylor personnel. Please enlighten me. Torturing animals does have a rich and lustrous history at Baylor, though, so any recent incidents wouldn't really surprise me. But Baylor's long-standing historical cruelty to animals has been topped by the Baylor basketball murder and all the recent rapes, sexual assaults and rape-enabling in recent years, culminating in all the organizing, cheering and egging on of various lawsuits against the trustees and other Baylor people that has been going on most recently by Baylor fans. If a dog was recently tortured, it was probably because it committed a horrible 'crime' like pooping on a #CAB banner or something.

close

Baylor suspends WR Ishmael Zamora after animal abuse incident
http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...-gets-3-game-suspension-animal-abuse-incident

http://www.wacotrib.com/sports/bayl...cle_fab1b060-2450-5bde-9fd9-b1f03bda7f2d.html

Pharm Frog

Jared7....

You are the most awesome resource for all things TCU tennis. Because you are the subject matter expert on all-things related to Frog tennis, it would be unreasonable for us to expect for you to keep up with the voluminous criminal and immoral behavioral patterns coming from that school south of here. That would be a full-time job and you have your plate full already.

I would advise the following:

• If your mind can conceive of something vile and/or criminal, your safest default position would be that "Yes, Baylor did it or is presently doing it."
  • Your secondary default position would be that Baylor did something to cover it up or deflect attention from it by committing something even worse. This means if you haven't heard of something bad happening at Baylor, it is highly likely to have already occurred and has quite possibly become a habit and ingrained in the culture.
  • Finally, if you ever want to verify your default positions, simply watch or read the news after 5 o'clock on Fridays and pay special attention to the same if it happens to be a Friday leading into a long weekend.

Jared7

In advance of tomorrow's match of the year against Baylor, the new ITA rankings came out today and TCU remains 9th in the country (Baylor remains 4th). Here are the rankings:

1. Wake Forest
2. Ohio State
3. Virginia
4. Baylor
5. Oklahoma State
6. USC
7. Texas
8. UCLA
9. TCU
10. A&M
11. Cal
12. UNC
13. Georgia
14. Florida
15. Stanford
17. Oklahoma
21. Northwestern
23. Columbia
24. USF
25. Illinois
31. UCF
35. SMU
40. Rice
42. UCSB
43. Utah State
44. Tech

Cam Norrie moved up to #2 in singles, trailing only Ohio State's Mikael Torpegaard; Alex Rybakov is 27th, Guillermo Nunez 83rd and Jerry Lopez dropped out. For Baylor, it's Benitez at 13th, Tchoutakian at 43rd and Schretter at 53rd. In doubles, we're all bunched up - Nunez/Rybakov at 32nd, Johnson/Stalder at 33rd, Lopez/Stalder at 34th and Norrie/Lopez 40th. Baylor's doubles teams are Benitez/Little at 17th, Bendeck/Schretter 64th and Tchoutakian/Schretter 67th. The TCU women, after that huge upset of #7 Tech on Senior Day, leaped 7 spots to 24th and look likely to earn a #2 seed in the NCAA's depending on how we finish against Baylor and in the Big12 tourney.

Last edited:

Jared7

The stakes could hardly be higher. It's the Frogs' last road match of the year, with a 10-match win streak on the line. The Big12 regular season championship could be decided - possibly the Frog's second consecutive title in the Big12. It's against TCU's arch-enemy - Baylor. The Baylor fans will surely be numerous, loud and virtually certain to be acting inappropriately, a trait for which they are well known. The all-time record between TCU and Baylor is 33-20 in favor of TCU. But, prior to 2002, it was 32-4 in our favor before Baylor reeled off 16 straight wins before TCU broke that string last season in a thrilling home match victory. The Frogs haven't defeated Baylor in Waco for 16 years - back when we were in C-USA. Baylor is ranked 4th in the country - TCU 9th. It's undoubtedly the biggest match of the year for the Frogs so far. It is hard not to over-state its importance.

And, it's a doubleheader with the women's team, who are wrapping up the regular season and are preparing for the Big12 and NCAA tourneys.

In other tennis news, the NCAA has announced the sites of the next few NCAA tennis championships. The new Lake Nona facility is the big winner and UCF will host in 2019 and 2021. Oklahoma State will host in Stillwater in 2020 and Illinois will host in 2022 in Champaign. This year, it's in Athens (the traditional site) and next year in Winston-Salem. And, in 2019, the NCAA's will emulate the baseball format with 16 regionals, 8 super-regionals and only 8 teams advancing to the finals.

Jared7

WFAA's Mike Leslie did a story on Cam Norrie last night - it's on both Leslie's and the TCU men's Tennis twitter pages. Leslie is a horrible tennis player. The women's match starts at 4:00 p.m. and the men are scheduled for 6:00 p.m. (but will really follow the women).

Pharm Frog

Baylor men's team sporting pink shirts. And I just heard the announcement about no cheering during the points. Announcer said this was a rule change since their last match but isn't only for that venue?

Pharm Frog

I'm new to this tennis thing but I swore there were doubles being played and now all I see is singles but the scoreboard says 0-0. Somebody had to win a point didn't they?

jake102

Dumb question, I'm sure, but what happens if we win the doubles point and they win the singles?

Each singles match is worth one point... so seven total points. Six singles points and one overall doubles. So first team to four points. We are up 1-0 currently... need to win three of the six singles matches to win.

Pharm Frog

I can see how team tennis can change on a dime. Frogs looked to be in good position and then virtually every match swung against them in a matter of less than 5 minutes. Hopefully momentum can swing back to the good guys