• The KillerFrogs

TCU Tailgate and Visitors Guide

ShinerFrog

Tailgating Command Unit
OK after reading this thread...who is going to host me at their tailgate this fall? Hopefully I can do a roadie to FW...ummm on second thought I just remembered tix are going to be limited due to the construction. :sad:

Thanks for all the comments...this should get me off to a great start.

BTW, when you come up to Cuse let me know and I'll hook you up at my tailgate in the Fine Lot. By Syracuse standards we have a pretty good sized one...usually 50-75 folks.

You'll get introduced to our local White Snappy Griller (Coney) which is awesomely delicious as well as some other local NY food items.

We'd love to have you come by our tailgate! Hopefully we will still be in lot 4, but as mentioned before, with the stadium construction all bets are off on where we get to park next year. If not in lot 4, we will find a spot.

SF

ShinerFrog

Tailgating Command Unit
Young professional type bars - a lot of the West 7th area caters to that (newer area in FW). Not far from campus, just a quick drive north on university from TCU.

In that area:
Pop's Safari (Cigar Bar)
Ten (Martini Bar, although I don't think it's called Ten anymore - if someone can correct me on the name???)
Capitol Bar (Bar - good in the summer - huge patio off 1st floor and upstairs patio - usually have live music on the weekends, outdoor stage/patio)
Durty Crow (Bar - new but has a low key feel)
Magnolia Motor Lounge (haven't been here - someone help me out - I think it's food and a bar???)
Tillman's (Restaurant and Bar - cool set up and design. rustic, "texas" type of feel)
Poag Mahone's (Irish pub)
Chimys (good margarita's, good nachos, but closes at midnight - original is in lubbock, but they cater and have an affinity for us TCU folks)
Fred's (already mentioned)

I know I am missing a lot of bars and restaurants in that area - just listing some that I like and/or could think of off the top of my head.

I believe that Ten is now called M The Martini Bar.

La Familia next door is a very good mexican restaurant. The margaritas are served on fire.

SF

Endless Purple

Not going to add much, not having lived in FW for a long time. But, I did want to endorse the Amon Carter Museum since it is American art and has a good western collection. Something that might be different for most of the BE fans.

Brought my brother-in-law (Longhorn) to the AF game, and he really liked stopping at Dutchs.

TexanMark

Yes. The brisket alone is worth a visit, though nobody else in my group seemed all that enamored with the place. Careful if you want ribs...my wife ordered them and the guy put 5 on her tray, which turned out to cost $40.

I plan to do a seperate section on Barbeque. Some of the fans using this guide will be in town for several days. Are there any destination BBQ joints within 2 hours of FW? I can tell you all about BBQ in the SA/Aus area but I need some help in North Texas. I did BBQ sections in my guide for ECU/Memphis and think TCU rates one too.

froginaustin

My wife and I really like museums. We go to Chicago (Art Institute of), New York City and D.C., to visit their local museums.

The only museum district that I have seen that I think is better than the one in Fort Worth is the Smithsonian complex on the National Mall. Kimball in Fort Worth > Dallas's DMA (the Nasher Sculpture Garden is way cool) > Houston's fine arts museum.

The museums in San Antonio are nice, but they are relatively small and spread out compared to Fort Worth's.

The Kimball hosts absolutely top shelf traveling exhibits, in addition to a relatively small but very impressive permanent collection. From the Kimball, one can walk to the Museum of Modern Art (young museum, relatively small collection but well done), and the Amon Carter (largest collection of western American art in the world; more Remington sculpture alone than one can really see in one visit). One can also walk to a museum of natural history that is much smaller than the one in Chicago, but great for kids as is the nearby Cowgirl Museum.

I particularly appreciate the fact that Kimball exhibits, in particular, can induce my wife (A Kimball member but a very reluctant football fan) to travel to Fort Worth-- go to a game; go to the museums Friday or Sunday.

Frog-in-law1995

I plan to do a seperate section on Barbeque. Some of the fans using this guide will be in town for several days. Are there any destination BBQ joints within 2 hours of FW? I can tell you all about BBQ in the SA/Aus area but I need some help in North Texas. I did BBQ sections in my guide for ECU/Memphis and think TCU rates one too.
With plenty of good BBQ in Tarrant County, I'd hesitate to designate anything elsewhere worthy of "destination BBQ joint" status...though Hard 8 might just be an exception. Between Railhead, Angelo's, Riscky's, Coopers, and North Main BBQ in Euless (and other neighborhood joints too numerous to mention), there's little reason to drive far for BBQ around here.

But since you're interested in places that aren't necessarily close to campus, then you need to include Babe's as well. Great fried chicken, with a couple of other choices too, depending on location. They're in Roanoke, Arlington, Burleson, and Granbury (with a few more in counties east of here).

ricksterh

If you come in to the Metroplex via Southwest which I like
to fly that takes you into Love Field over in Dallas.
To get to Fort Worth somebody said there isn't any mass transportation
but actually there are several options including mass
transit. If you take a cab I think that runs about $100
and if you can split that 3 or 4 ways that is an option.
Another is Yellow Checker Shuttle which you can get on line
and that runs about $50 a person and takes about 1 to 11/2 hours
depending on where all they stop on the way over. The third option
which I hae done several times is actual mass transit.
From Love Field you catch the 39 bus which takes you through
area Turtle Creek to downtown and you can get the shuttle
through the West End to the train station. There is a nice train
double decker that goes through the mid cities and winds up
downtown Fort Worth. If you are staying in the Sundance are
you are pretty much right there. If you stay out on University
Drive you catch the 7 bus. The cost is $10 total and counting
stops and waits for the next step takes about 3 1/2 hours. If I am
travelling that way i usually come in a day early and leave a
day later to allow for the time and the train TRE doesn't run on Sunday.
The other thing you can do is in Dallas the West End is nice and has a
great steakhouse called the YO Steakhouse which has awesome decor and
great food. I recommend the prime beef sandwich for lunch maybe with
a cup of soup. The owners of the YO Steakhouse also own the YO Ranch
which is a huge ranch in Central Texas are Hal Stanislaus and his son who are TCU Frogs alums and bigtime fans. I met Hal out in San Diego at the hotle for a bowl game and saw him again at the tailgate at the Rose Bowl recently. If you go that route I highly recommend the YO Steakhouse. :biggrin:
highly recommend the YO Steakhouse

macaroni

La Familia next door is a very good mexican restaurant. The margaritas are served on fire.

Yes, yes they are. And they are wonderfully strong.

And since the OP asked about shopping, there are several upscale boutiques in that W. 7th area. Right next door to La Familia is "Bess and Evie's," a vintage clothing store owned by TCU alum Kalen Ruiz. The Big East yankees can go get themselves a fine pair of vintage cowboy boots!

JogginFrog

Anyone know if the Blue nine at Rockwood is still open?

3,700 yards with a 667-yard par 5 with a cut-off-as-much-as-you-dare tee shot over a bend of the Trinity, a 240-yard par 3 over water, a par 4 where you have to thread your drive through a gap between the Trinity and the cart barn about 200 yards out. Fun times. Cheap and rarely any traffic on it, so you could hop down there from campus and play it in 80 minutes or so. Shot 36 there once and thought "I'll never play a better nine holes."

Down side is that it would be closed for long periods of time when the river flooded.

Anyone play there recently who can give an update?

Limp Lizard

Anyone know if the Blue nine at Rockwood is still open?

Far as I know the Blue nine at Rockwood is gone for good. Pitty, since it had some of the hardest holes in the Ft. Worth muny courses (#'S 2, 3, 5, and 7 are as tough as you can find anywhere).

Two more public courses I have not seen noticed, which are good challenges, are Ironhorse in North Richland Hills and Meadowbrook in East Ft. Worth.

For the real masochists, who have the time, the course to play is the Cliffs at Possum Kingdom Lake. Lots of very interesting holes, but bring a lot of balls and don;t worry about your score.