• The KillerFrogs

TCU social media trolls Cincinnati and skyline chili after win

westoverhillbilly

My curiosity in Skyline chili ended in summer/'21 when my wife and I were eating it at Camp Washington chili parlor in a very rough section of Cincinnati. We were just served our chili/spagetti at the counter when we were told to get on the floor because there was a shoot out occurring outside. The cops came in a couple of minutes and the parlor didn't charge us. We did resume eating and the chili was pretty okay. We've since met a few people from Cincy who said they don't dare go near there.

I was in grad school in Cincinnati about 40 years ago. At that time, there were three varieties of "Cincinnati-style" chili: Empress; Camp Washington; and Skyline. They are not the same. Skyline was always my favorite. There is a Skyline chili parlor adjacent to the campus at Clifton and Ludlow. There used to be an Empress in the student union.

So, rough neighborhood notwithstanding, if you ate at a Camp Washington chili parlor, you didn't eat Skyline chili.

westoverhillbilly

I was in grad school in Cincinnati about 40 years ago. At that time, there were three varieties of "Cincinnati-style" chili: Empress; Camp Washington; and Skyline. They are not the same. Skyline was always my favorite. There is a Skyline chili parlor adjacent to the campus at Clifton and Ludlow. There used to be an Empress in the student union.

So, rough neighborhood notwithstanding, if you ate at a Camp Washington chili parlor, you didn't eat Skyline chili.
You're right- I just tended to link all Cincinnati chili together as Skyline but it's not technically correct. Thx.

SLUDGE!

i‘ve made it at home. It’s good. Better on a dog than pasta. But its pretty good if you follow the recipe. It’s just…..different. But when done right it’s pretty good.
Almost every Saturday when I lived there, I had lunch at the Skyline at Clifton and Ludlow. Lunch consisted of a 5-way, a cheese Coney with onions, and a Pepsi (no coke, only Pepsi).

The best of both worlds (dog and pasta).

Also, authentic recipes for Skyline can be hard to find. We have one that's pretty good, but not a perfect match.