• The KillerFrogs

TCU not interested in the Big 12

Gunner

Instead, catch 'em in the national championship game. Why take on their 127 million in revenues(UT) every year. Or another way of saying it is, why play 2 or maybe 3 double tough games instead on one or two. Why play OU or Texas in the regular season, maybe again in the Big 12 Championship game, and then another double tough game in the nat championship.

If they tried to stick us in the 12 North, it wouldn't be much better, still facing a 12 Championship game before the big one. Rather be a big dog in our conference instead of being one of 3 in the 12. That's assuming we can stay the big dog, of course.

Comcast is in the process of gaining 51% of NBC. They own 7 large cable companies and NBC owns 7 or so big cable companies. Alot of their coverage is in and around the mountains. They need content. Comcast and CBS own a bunch of The Mountain (MWC coverage). Will let you put 2 and 2, maybe, together.

The MWC is the only conference, I think, that has little to worry about. Pac 10-Big 12 will never happen, IMO. So Pac 10, to save face, may come after Utah and Colorado. So, we take in Boise, not to worry. NBC might push MWC to take in Houston and 5 million TV sets.

gdu

QUOTE(Gunner @ Jun 8 2010, 04:40 PM) [snapback]571463[/snapback]
Instead, catch 'em in the national championship game. Why take on their 127 million in revenues(UT) every year. Or another way of saying it is, why play 2 or maybe 3 double tough games instead on one or two. Why play OU or Texas in the regular season, maybe again in the Big 12 Championship game, and then another double tough game in the nat championship.

If they tried to stick us in the 12 North, it wouldn't be much better, still facing a 12 Championship game before the big one. Rather be a big dog in our conference instead of being one of 3 in the 12. That's assuming we can stay the big dog, of course.

Comcast is in the process of gaining 51% of NBC. They own 7 large cable companies and NBC owns 7 or so big cable companies. Alot of their coverage is in and around the mountains. They need content. Comcast and CBS own a bunch of The Mountain (MWC coverage). Will let you put 2 and 2, maybe, together.

The MWC is the only conference, I think, that has little to worry about. Pac 10-Big 12 will never happen, IMO. So Pac 10, to save face, may come after Utah and Colorado. So, we take in Boise, not to worry. NBC might push MWC to take in Houston and 5 million TV sets.

5 million Houston tv sets haven't ever watched Houston play unless it was vs. UT.

Dogfrog

QUOTE(Gunner @ Jun 8 2010, 11:40 AM) [snapback]571463[/snapback]

Gunner I'm with you all the way until you get to the 5 million Houston TV sets. There may be 5 million sets in Houston, but only about 500 of them watch UH.

Dogfrog

QUOTE(Gunner @ Jun 8 2010, 11:49 AM) [snapback]571483[/snapback]
Think that theory went out the window when they whipped Okie State at Stillwater.

You may be right. Make that 600. :biggrin:

Houston Frog

QUOTE(Gunner @ Jun 8 2010, 11:49 AM) [snapback]571483[/snapback]
Think that theory went out the window when they whipped Okie State at Stillwater.

Nope

Frog Attack II

no other TX schools in the MWC. period. UH brings nothing.

The only way that we should ever get back in w/ a conference w/ any Tx schools is if it's back in the Big 12.

Protect the niche!

tcuball3

Ticket Exchange Pass
QUOTE(Frog Attack II @ Jun 8 2010, 04:59 PM) [snapback]571493[/snapback]
no other TX schools in the MWC. period. UH brings nothing.

The only way that we should ever get back in w/ a conference w/ any Tx schools is if it's back in the Big 12.

Protect the niche!

Protect the niche!

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
While the general consensus in that UH can't draw flies, they did have a well-attended game against Tech last year and had fairly decent crowds for their other games.

TV ratings are mercurial at best. Winning for a few years breeds a following. Winning against teams with a following reinforces the ratings you have built. Unfortunately, a single losing season will erode a lot of that. Two drops you into obscurity. Two years ago, Rice won 9 games. Anybody remember that in the wake of their single win last year? Nope.

UH also has no defense. Good luck, Coogs...

Gunner

Wondering if folks are giving MWC the props they have out in the general public. You think folks don't notice BYU putting 61 points on UCLA or embarassing Oregon State in the bowl game. Or Utah whipping up on Cal? Or the year before MWC going 6-1 against the Pac 10? Or BYU, TCU wins over OU.

Those MWC teams have people paying attention. Houston is coming on too. Sumlin is a good coach.

I think followers of college football know and they will watch.

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
QUOTE(BrewingFrog @ Jun 8 2010, 12:05 PM) [snapback]571502[/snapback]
While the general consensus in that UH can't draw flies, they did have a well-attended game against Tech last year and had fairly decent crowds for their other games.

NW State - 22043
Tech - 32114
SMU - 26889
Southern Miss - 20125
Memphis - 22036
Rice - 28243

Meh..........

Dogfrog

They did have over 30K for that Tech game and they did a pretty smart thing. For that game only, they required purchase of a mini package of (I think) three games in order to have access to the UH/Tech ticket. That forced all those Tech fans who attended to buy a total of four tickets for the one game. Tech still had a big turnout.

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
QUOTE(Dogfrog @ Jun 8 2010, 12:31 PM) [snapback]571529[/snapback]
They did have over 30K for that Tech game and they did a pretty smart thing. For that game only, they required purchase of a mini package of (I think) three games in order to have access to the UH/Tech ticket. That forced all those Tech fans who attended to buy a total of four tickets for the one game. Tech still had a big turnout.

Something tells me those other 3 games were NW State, SMU and Rice.

Houston Frog

QUOTE(Dogfrog @ Jun 8 2010, 12:31 PM) [snapback]571529[/snapback]

But for a school with an enrollment over 30,000 in a metropolitan area of over 4 million people, getting 30,000+ in your stadium once every few years isn't exactly something to brag about.

gdu

QUOTE(BrewingFrog @ Jun 8 2010, 05:05 PM) [snapback]571502[/snapback]

TV ratings are mercurial at best. Winning for a few years breeds a following. Winning against teams with a following reinforces the ratings you have built. Unfortunately, a single losing season will erode a lot of that. Two drops you into obscurity. Two years ago, Rice won 9 games. Anybody remember that in the wake of their single win last year? Nope.

UH also has no defense. Good luck, Coogs...

Let's jsut say it's a good thing the two fan bases wear the same color to games.

gdu

QUOTE(Gunner @ Jun 8 2010, 05:05 PM) [snapback]571503[/snapback]
Wondering if folks are giving MWC the props they have out in the general public. You think folks don't notice BYU putting 61 points on UCLA or embarassing Oregon State in the bowl game. Or Utah whipping up on Cal? Or the year before MWC going 6-1 against the Pac 10? Or BYU, TCU wins over OU.

Those MWC teams have people paying attention. Houston is coming on too. Sumlin is a good coach.

You're wrong, but it's still a good thought. If what you are saying is true, Boise wouldn't be relegated to the Friday night special.

ChickDawson

QUOTE(Gunner @ Jun 8 2010, 12:05 PM) [snapback]571503[/snapback]

The problem is that this isn't about the product on the field, but rather about how many are watching from their living room. The MWC doesn't have enough folks in the living rooms.

These supposed super-conferences will squash all over conferences if they indeed occur. That's why Notre Dame has woken up. It's scary to think that the golden-domers (and to a lessor degree Nebraska) possibly hold the fate of so many programs in their hands.

Gunner

Excuse me, but if Boise is rated number 1 or number 2, where they should be come Sept, you're telling me nobody will watch on TV. That is looney. :biggrin:

gdu

QUOTE(Gunner @ Jun 8 2010, 06:54 PM) [snapback]571615[/snapback]
Excuse me, but if Boise is rated number 1 or number 2, where they should be come Sept, you're telling me nobody will watch on TV. That is looney. :biggrin:

The way you and I think things should be is not the way it actually is re: college football.