• The KillerFrogs

TCU Men's Tennis 2021-2022

Pharm Frog

Doubt it. Sunday afternoon match, any team in the country is booking it to the airport.
If their travel arrangements were that tight and there was a 1pm start, that’s on them….and yet its another reason that we should have more indoor courts…and cameras. Almost criminal not to be able to watch these matches. If they had started at 2p, I would have come up. But sounds like they should have started at 12n

Endless Purple

I am looking forward to getting on campus late March/early April. There are two Fridays when they have a men's tennis match scheduled and a baseball game scheduled. Figured they would be afternoon / then evening set ups. Will have to see how they have parking set up as well.

Longfrog

I'm not saying drop points on purpose. Just you know, take a little more time between points.

"Charlie was playing one of the toughest outs in college tennis. That guy makes you work for everything. He was down and everybody probably thought he was done but by the time we clinched he was nearly at match point. It's a shame we couldn't play those final points but I have so much respect for the heart that they showed as leaders of our team."

Roditi was definitely begging for 2 more minutes so Aguilar could get the win.

Jared7

What a monumental W for the Frogs! To beat Virginia - our Nemesis - for the first time ever by this coaching staff is really a big deal. This team has depth and ability and a fight back attitude up and down the line-up. This sets up a really legitimate shot at the Indoors title this weekend. We're clearly one of the favorites (although Ohio State, who skunked Wake 7-0 today, is clearly THE favorite). We'll probably be 4th seeded - which may well mean South Carolina (who lost to North Carolina 4-2 today). Maybe Texas. The draw will be announced in a few days. If you go by the CTR ITA computer projection, we'd be 3rd ranked if 4 W's are counted, but we'd be 2nd ranked if 5 W's are counted. I imagine, that because we knocked the Buckeyes out of last May's NCAA's, they'll be itching to play us and it could happen in the semis if the draw is as anticipated and form holds (they beat Washington and we get by the Gamecocks). But all teams in Seattle will be capable of pulling out W's and all of our matches have been at home so far and whether we're road warriors remains to be tested. Personally, I'd kind of like to get a shot at Ohio State - they have been tearing through everyone so far. But revenge against Tennessee is also something I'd like.

It's great to see Frogdom rallying around this team. The Chappell/Norrie and Norrie/Rybo teams were great - this one might actually be better and deeper.

FrogUltimate

What a monumental W for the Frogs! To beat Virginia - our Nemesis - for the first time ever by this coaching staff is really a big deal. This team has depth and ability and a fight back attitude up and down the line-up. This sets up a really legitimate shot at the Indoors title this weekend. We're clearly one of the favorites (although Ohio State, who skunked Wake 7-0 today, is clearly THE favorite). We'll probably be 4th seeded - which may well mean South Carolina (who lost to North Carolina 4-2 today). Maybe Texas. The draw will be announced in a few days. If you go by the CTR ITA computer projection, we'd be 3rd ranked if 4 W's are counted, but we'd be 2nd ranked if 5 W's are counted. I imagine, that because we knocked the Buckeyes out of last May's NCAA's, they'll be itching to play us and it could happen in the semis if the draw is as anticipated and form holds (they beat Washington and we get by the Gamecocks). But all teams in Seattle will be capable of pulling out W's and all of our matches have been at home so far and whether we're road warriors remains to be tested. Personally, I'd kind of like to get a shot at Ohio State - they have been tearing through everyone so far. But revenge against Tennessee is also something I'd like.

It's great to see Frogdom rallying around this team. The Chappell/Norrie and Norrie/Rybo teams were great - this one might actually be better and deeper.
I looked back at some of the old TCU teams... man we played Norrie at #3 doubles line. Pretty hilarious to think about. The guy who is now #13 in the world played line 3 doubles for TCU at one point haha.

I would say this year's team is certainly deeper... you have legit ranked guys at every spot, and Jirousek isn't even playing! On those past great teams you had Stalder, Nava and Johnson playing at the bottom of the lineup. Solid players but not ranked quality. Definitely don't have a Norrie or anything close on the roster currently who is automatic, but TCU is likely to be favored every match in at least 3 of the 6 singles matches.

Pharm Frog

It is hard to see several good teams in different Frog sports that are so close that just can't quite get the big win over the past many years. Maybe the Rifle team needs to sit with them to talk about closing it out.
Given the results last weekend maybe want to hold off on that conversation but I get the point.

Longfrog

I looked back at some of the old TCU teams... man we played Norrie at #3 doubles line. Pretty hilarious to think about. The guy who is now #13 in the world played line 3 doubles for TCU at one point haha.
I feel like that's a pretty common tactic. Teams will just stick their #1 singles guy down there to try to overwhelm the competition. Baylor's got Boitan playing 3 doubles right now.

To me, the wild part when Norrie was doing it was that period when Johnson was hurt and we were down to five players. So it was Norrie and whichever guy we called in off the street playing together.

FrogUltimate

I feel like that's a pretty common tactic. Teams will just stick their #1 singles guy down there to try to overwhelm the competition. Baylor's got Boitan playing 3 doubles right now.

To me, the wild part when Norrie was doing it was that period when Johnson was hurt and we were down to five players. So it was Norrie and whichever guy we called in off the street playing together.

Yeah it definitely isn't too rare, just funny to think about given where his career has gone.

In other news, Gray moved all the way up #412, about 10-15 spots higher than I expected. A good reminder of how brutal it is to break from level to level in tennis. He now has four titles to his name in Futures, and is still fringe Challenger qualifiers level. The points just accumulate so slowly. But if he puts together another 3-4 good tournaments he should start to get firmly on the Challenger qualifier lists.

Norrie is the #1 seed in Delray Beach (very slow hard court). Unfortunately he drew Korda in the quarterfinals assuming they both get there.

Retired Frog

My amateur view of Frog tennis is that it is just great to get the Doubles point each match. Don’t expect the lineup to change once everyone is healthy but if it did. Even better
I do a lot of what ifs. What if Gray stayed for his last year. Based on how he is playing in pros it seems we missed a lot of his potential
But Coach prepared for and delivered a potent lineup. No letup in any spot and even more encouraged hearing Virginia didn’t put out full lineup at Baylor to save their top guys for us
OSU might be pretty good. Just hoping we get a chance to see

Jared7

The Glasgow ITF tourney has a bit of a tougher draw, so Alastair Gray will have to open up against 30-year-old Tobias Simon, a German with an ATP ranking of #489. In Cancun, Nick Chappell will face Federico Zeballos, a 33-year-old Bolivian, with an ATP ranking of #611, who beat Rybo in the 2nd round at Cancun last week. So don't expect as much success as last week. At Delray Beach, top-seeded Cam Norrie will open up against Oscar Otte, a 28-year-old German with an ATP ranking of #85.

I expect Roditi to continue to experiment with the line-up after the completion of the Indoors this weekend; although I think we're set for that. Jirousek will return at some point and will get starts and I also think we'll work in Ruehl into the singles line-up a few times. But I agree with long that Jong is probably the likely #4, with Fomba, Aguilar and Vives as the top 3. The Indoors starts Friday in Seattle - no rankings this week.

Ohio State "might" be pretty good - they've not only got 4 ranked W's, they've skunked each and every top team they've played, losing zero points in the process. They're the obvious call at Seattle. But their history is to dominate indoors and struggle a bit when the action moves outdoors. They've won the Indoors but have never taken home a NCAA title.

Last edited:

Jared7

According to CTR, there were no line-up challenges for the Indoors and they will not be making small adjustments to the seedings so as to account for conference rivals or teams otherwise on the schedule, so they expect a straight draw based on the current rankings, which should be announced shortly. That'll mean Ohio State v. Washington, TCU v. South Carolina, Florida v. A&M and Stanford v. Georgia in our bracket and Tennessee v. Mississippi, Baylor v. Texas (again!), Virginia v. Kentucky and Wake v. USC in the other bracket. Pre-COVID, the usual practice was to have consolation brackets for the first round losers and then a second consolation bracket for second round losers, thus guaranteeing at least 3 matches for every team (and 4 for the finalists). Last year, they just eliminated some of the consolation matches. Not sure if they'll do that this year. Whatever. Those 16 teams will be there.

(And I don't usually cover the women's side, but UNC beat OU for their 3rd consecutive women's Indoors title yesterday). Cracked Racquets will be covering the entire event on their youtube channel, just like they did last weekend for the women.

Longfrog

I do a lot of what ifs. What if Gray stayed for his last year. Based on how he is playing in pros it seems we missed a lot of his potential
I think about this too. I'm assuming we wouldn't have had a scholarship for Vives if Gray didn't leave. So long run, it might be for the best. And it also may not make much difference once we get to the outdoor season, where Vives should excel. But indoors I do think it hurts us a little.

FWIW, using UTR rankings, Gray would be #11 in the nation had he stayed. Vives is currently ranked #45.