• The KillerFrogs

TCU Men's Tennis 2021-2022

FrogUltimate

The Frogs' winning ways hit a speed bump in the Dominican Republic today as both Chappell and Rybakov fall in the first round. Nick lost to Colin Markes, a former Longhorn 2 and 4, and Rybo lost to Filip Peliwo 3-6, 6-0, 4-6. So the only Frog left playing this week is Cam (against Isner later).

Bad bad results for those guys playing a Futures tournament.

Longfrog

You guys know he was playing doubles this week? Scheduled to head back out on the same court after Fritz/Nishioka finishes. But he's playing with Paul who's still in a 3rd set.

My memory's fuzzy on the timing, but I feel like his singles performances improved when he stopped playing doubles.

Jared7

You guys know he was playing doubles this week? Scheduled to head back out on the same court after Fritz/Nishioka finishes. But he's playing with Paul who's still in a 3rd set.

My memory's fuzzy on the timing, but I feel like his singles performances improved when he stopped playing doubles.
Well, he didn't play much doubles last year and that's when he improved (vastly) in singles. But I actually disagree - I think he plays better at singles when he mixes in doubles from time to time.

CTR is now projecting next week's ITA rankings, and, wonder of wonders, TCU is projected #1. All Tennessee has upcoming is Furman at home (on 3/1) and then traveling to both Mississippi and Mississippi State on 3/4 and 3/6 (the Frogs have been there and done that), so they're not going to gain any ground until at least then. The reason for the change is that the ITA did indeed start with just 4 W's this week and self-tweaks to 5 W's next week. And because the margin was way closer than expected this week, that in and of itself is enough for changing the projection.

Last edited:

Longfrog

Well, he didn't play much doubles last year and that's when he improved (vastly) in singles. But I actually disagree - I think he plays better at singles when he mixes in doubles from time to time.
I looked it up and he actually played more than I remembered. Last year he played doubles 14 times out of 25 total tournaments. He averaged 1.9 singles wins per tournament when he skipped doubles vs. 2.1 wins when he played. So not much difference but maybe slightly favoring your view.

Longfrog

CTR is now projecting next week's ITA rankings, and, wonder of wonders, TCU is projected #1. All Tennessee has upcoming is Furman at home (on 3/1) and then traveling to both Mississippi and Mississippi State on 3/4 and 3/6, so they're not going to gain any ground until at least then. The reason for the change is that the ITA did indeed start with just 4 W's this week and self-tweaks to 5 W's next week. And because the margin was way closer than expected this week, that in and of itself is enough for changing the projection.
When ITA tweeted out the rankings today, they immediately tagged it with their rankings system explainer. Think they knew it was bound to raise a few eyebrows.

FrogUltimate

Well I guess whatever Paul said to him after last weeks semifinal wasn’t negative like it possibly looked.

Jared7

Well I guess whatever Paul said to him after last weeks semifinal wasn’t negative like it possibly looked.
Well, Paul and Rybo are very close friends (they roomed together in juniors and sometimes in the pros and have collaborated on instagrams and stuff) and Cam knows him really well too. I didn't hear what he said but my guess is that it was just something like "you're welcome for the gift" which is more joshing and banter than anything truly negative. Not surprised that they're teaming together at all.

Longfrog

Now the guys that Norrie/Paul were scheduled to play are on court against two guys who weren't even in the draw. Draw still shows Norrie/Paul in there but it seems like they opted out. Paul won his singles match 7-5 in the 3rd in 2 hours 40 minutes.

Longfrog

I've never seen a 75% / 25% split in an ATP level match outside of a 1st round, and even then it's super rare.

That's exactly where my eyeballs got big too. He lost 12 of 13 2nd serves! At what point do you say screw it and just try popping 2 1sts?

And the one game he won, he held at love!

In a way I'm impressed he didn't just default halfway through the 2nd. Think most guys would.

Last edited:

Purp

That's exactly where my eyeballs got big too. He lost 12 of 13 2nd serves! At what point do you say screw it and just try popping 2 1sts?

And the one game he won, he held at love!

In a way I'm impressed he didn't just default halfway through the 2nd. Think most guys would.
And he was 1 for 6 on break points, which means he didn't put up much of a fight except for the lone game he won.