• The KillerFrogs

TCU Golf

JogginFrog

TCU women's golf concludes its season with their best round of the regional, shooting 291 (+3) (if I remember correctly; online leaderboard is down) to finish 13th in the Lubbock Regional. Arizona State blitzed the field, winning by 21 and placing 1-2-3 in the individual medalist race. Texas (+5, 4th) and Tech (+8, 5th) both advance to nationals from the Big 12.

JogginFrog

Stafano Mazzoli, playing from the #4 slot, is off to a great start, -3 through 6. Still early, but he's at the top of the individual leaderboard.

Frogs as a team are currently in second at -4. All 5 Frog scorecards are still in play.

What's interesting to watch early in a five-to-count-four tournament round is how many individuals shoot themselves out of contributing to their team. Interesting case in point is the host school, Middle Tennessee. They have four guys rocking it, giving them an early lead at -8. But their fifth guy is +7, putting all the pressure on the other four. They know they can't be rescued now, and any bad hole is going to reflect on their team score.

JogginFrog

And here's why you need all 5 scorecards in play: Mazzoli gets in trouble and goes from even to +5 on a single hole, and suddenly Turner McLean's card is being counted on. McLean doubled the opening hole and has been battling all day. Would have been easy to let the round get away, but he's hung in there (+4 through 16) and with a strong finish can keep the Frogs competitive.

TCU currently in 7th place at +4 playing holes 13-16. Fifth place will be Even or +1.

JogginFrog

TCU finishes day one at +7, which has the Frogs in a three-way tie for 8th. They are currently 7 strokes back of a qualifying slot.

Those in the top five include top-seeded Vanderbilt (1st) and third-seeded Clemson (5th). But the others are the 7th, 8th and 11th seeds (Kennesaw, UCF & Troy), so I would expect some volatility on the leaderboard as higher seeds work to move up and those lower seeds fight to maintain their position.

Second seed Texas Tech is in last at +11.

JogginFrog

Frogs off early and making the turn at +3 today. Has dropped them to T10th at +10. No one from TCU is playing poorly (all are E or +1), but no one is shooting the low number needed to make up ground.

Meanwhile, the top teams from yesterday are all keeping pace. Current 5th place team is +1. Frogs need a good second nine to stay within range of qualifying.

Only good news to report is that Tech continues to bring up the rear.

Edit: Mazier eagles the 18th (TCU began on 10) to go under par for the day and pull the Frogs back to +8.

JogginFrog

Frogs finish day two at +15 (11th). Most of the top five held their spots; the big move was by Lipscomb, a Church of Christ university in Nashville, which went -11 today to move from T8 to T2. Fifth place is currently -1, so it'll take a similar or better round tomorrow for the Frogs to have a chance to advance.

The hole that has killed the Frogs this week is #1, which the scorecard lists as the fourth-easiest hole (although it's played ninth-hardest this week). Two Frogs have been +4 on that hole on counting scorecards, which accounts for half of the gap between +15 and a qualifying score.

JogginFrog

Second-seeded Texas Tech has made a big push on day three. At one point they were -6 for the day (+8 total). They've since dropped a couple of shots but have moved into 7th place. But the Raiders, like the Frogs, were too far back; they're going to run out of holes. Fifth place is Kennesaw State at -2 and well into the back nine.

JogginFrog

Meanwhile, the Big 12 is showing its strength in other regionals. OSU, Texas and Iowa State are 1-2-3 in the Austin regional. Baylor and Oklahoma are 1st and 3rd in the Stanford regional.

JogginFrog

Frogs finish 11th. Qualifying for nationals are UCF, Vandy, Kennesaw St., Clemson and Lipscomb.

Tough finish for TCU; they were +2 today as a team through 14 holes, then +16 on the last 4.

Wexahu

TCU's golf teams, both men and women, should be much better than they are. You'd think the school and all the golf history in Fort Worth would be an easy sell to recruits.

TCU's golf teams, both men and women, should be much better than they are. You'd think the school and all the golf history in Fort Worth would be an easy sell to recruits.
Ugh. TCU has fallen way behind in the golf arms race. Without true dedicated practice facilities and a course of our own, this is what we are going to get. All that history used to be a key recruiting tool, but not so much any more.

PS -- How's Ohio State doing in their regional?

JogginFrog

J.J. Henry shoots 68-69 at the Nelson (T17). Angela Stanford shoots 66 to jump up to T7 at Kingsmill.

But neither of those is close to the best round of the day for a former Frog. Julien Brun shoots a pro-career best 62 on the European Challenge Tour in Spain, opening and closing with eagle.

Downside is that it's a hybrid tournament format using stroke play for the first two days to seed a match play weekend. All it gets him is a spot in the round of 32.

JogginFrog

Among Frog alums, J.J. Henry finishes T27 at the Nelson; Angela Stanford posts her second 66 of the week to finish solo third at Kingsmill. The 28.5 Solheim Cup points gives her a little breathing room in terms of qualifying.

JogginFrog

Angela's 87K check pushes her over the $10 million mark in career earnings, the 13th LPGA player to surpass that mark. Earnings is a function of era and longevity, but her consistency puts her in pretty elite company. Others in the club:

Sorenstam
Webb
Kerr
Ochoa
Pettersen
Inkster
Park (Inbee)
Pak
Creamer
Lewis
Choi (Na Yeon)
Tseng

PO Frog

Maybe I am off base, but I can't help but think our golf program needs to get it in gear. I understand the long streak for post-season appearances is something to be proud of, but they seem to have fallen behind the rest our our programs in terms of post-season results. Can someone that knows more school me on what (if anything) needs to happen to get things on par (heh) with the rest of the university's success in other programs? Or correct my understanding and tell me the golf team is great and I have nothing to worry about.

JogginFrog

Can someone that knows more school me on what (if anything) needs to happen to get things on par (heh) with the rest of the university's success in other programs?

Definitely a facilities arms race in college golf. The great campus courses (some of which aren't on campus) are designed to be revenue producers in their own right as well as recruiting tools. Lots of good indoor facilities as well, especially at northern schools, which sell the idea that the more time you are forced to practice inside, the better golfer you will be.

Some of the top facilities include:

Stanford

Oklahoma State (couldn't find much by way of facilities tour videos)
http://www.karstencreek.com/

Vanderbilt

Wake Forest

Texas
https://www.utgolfclub.com/club/scripts/section/section.asp?NS=GOLF

Illinois

Washington

Georgia Tech
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGK85cyZFgA

Arizona State
https://tours.asu.edu/polytechnic/golf-driving-range-pro-shop

Would love to hear from those who know more about golf recruiting and facilities development.