• The KillerFrogs

TCU, golf, Worth Hills, Jack Ruby, Ann Richards et. al.

Froginbedford

The only piece I've read that matches this...in fact, surpasses this because Gary Cartwright was the writer...is a Texas Monthly story, "Stop the Press!" I kept it for a number of years, but it was lost in some moves....Does anyone know if it's available on line?

Cartwright tells of one of the first women hard news reports in FW, Mary Crutcher, going to the basement of the Press building and burning files that she had kept under lock and key for years....No telling what FW history was lost....

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
In a way, I am terrible sad that I only began reading these guys during the sunset of their careers. But what a glorious sunset it was!

As to Mr. Jenkins, you can get started on Volume II of the "Greatest Moments in TCU Football" any time now...

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
I guess that I can tell this story now

What many of you don't realize is that for a long time, Dan Jenkins spent time every day reading Killerfrogs. I won't tell you his forum name, but on the rare occasion when he posted something, he was sometimes challenged by one or more of you who said "you don't know what the hell you are talking about." I always got a kick out of that and think that he did as well.

Once I got a call from a friend of his and a former neighbor of mine asking me if I could help him get logged in. So I called him and he asked me if I could come over to help. "Yes sir..I'll be right over."

Now in this article, you get a brief glimpse of his office but when I went over to his house, I was able to see the whole thing and it was like walking into a museum of TCU history as well as PGA history.

He had every press badge from about 50 Masters tournaments, first edition covers from his books ( all framed ), framed letters from sports greats and things that would blow your mind.

I remember commenting about all of it and he said" yeah, I don't know what I am going to do with all of this crap." My only comment was " I can find a place for it, sir"

My whole visit lasted 10 minutes and it took me about 30 seconds to help him log in, but for that 10 minutes, I felt that I was in the presence of greatness.

Frog DJ

The only piece I've read that matches this...in fact, surpasses this because Gary Cartwright was the writer...is a Texas Monthly story, "Stop the Press!" I kept it for a number of years, but it was lost in some moves....Does anyone know if it's available on line?

Cartwright tells of one of the first women hard news reports in FW, Mary Crutcher, going to the basement of the Press building and burning files that she had kept under lock and key for years....No telling what FW history was lost....
https://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/stop-the-press/

Had no trouble finding it, at all.

Enjoy, everyone!

Go Frogs!

Diehard

What many of you don't realize is that for a long time, Dan Jenkins spent time every day reading Killerfrogs. I won't tell you his forum name, but on the rare occasion when he posted something, he was sometimes challenged by one or more of you who said "you don't know what the hell you are talking about." I always got a kick out of that and think that he did as well.

Once I got a call from a friend of his and a former neighbor of mine asking me if I could help him get logged in. So I called him and he asked me if I could come over to help. "Yes sir..I'll be right over."

Now in this article, you get a brief glimpse of his office but when I went over to his house, I was able to see the whole thing and it was like walking into a museum of TCU history as well as PGA history.

He had every press badge from about 50 Masters tournaments, first edition covers from his books ( all framed ), framed letters from sports greats and things that would blow your mind.

I remember commenting about all of it and he said" yeah, I don't know what I am going to do with all of this crap." My only comment was " I can find a place for it, sir"

My whole visit lasted 10 minutes and it took me about 30 seconds to help him log in, but for that 10 minutes, I felt that I was in the presence of greatness.

I remember you calling and telling me you had just been to his house and how I thought your were feeding me full of BS (not that you would ever do that kind of thing).....Until you went into detail and I heard the excitement in
your voice. Great experience!!

Frog DJ

Thanks

It was so funny when people would challenge him on the forum. If only they knew who they were talking to
It 's not really my style, but I sincerely hope I wasn't guilty of that.

By the way, for those who are hesitant to invest the half hour or so it would take to read the Texas Monthly link I posted earlier - here's a short excerpt:

We started a bulletin board of pretentious literary leads clipped from other newspapers, and we celebrated great events in songs that we wrote. The genealogy of “You Never Went to That School, Buddy,” says a lot about the pride we took in our profession.

There was once a TCU journalism student named Jim Hendrix who was a friend of mine and later became editor of a national aviation magazine, but on this particular day Hendrix couldn’t rise to the occasion, as was absolutely required in the peer group. It was the 1956 TCU-Texas A&M game. The Aggies won it, 7-6, in the final quarter. It had to rank as one of the most bitter defeats in TCU history, but when Blackie ordered Hendrix to the dressing room to gather some post-game quotes, Jim refused.

“I can’t do it,” he said. “I can’t face those guys after what happened.”

“That’s not a very professional attitude,” Blackie told him.

Hendrix gave him a hard, hurt look and said, “That’s easy for you to say…but you never went to that school, buddy.”

To which Todd and Jenkins quickly penned these words:

You never went to that school, buddy.

You never lived in Tom Brown Hall.

You ain’t had no dealings with M.E. Sadler

You never attended a Howdy Week Ball.

I’m not certain, but I would guess that song had something to do with the fact Jim Hendrix soon left Fort Worth and never returned.

There's more where that came from...

Go Frogs!

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.

Damn, Dan Jenkins is Wexahu.

pgdaly84

That was really fantastic to read. I love reading about Fort Worth history, and that was a great glimpse into a golden era of sports writers. Pretty incredible that all of those giants were on that tiny paper at the same time.

Frog DJ

Bob Schieffer also briefly worked for the Press before WBAP AM/FM/TV hired him away. He was a news anchor on Channel 5 in the 60s when I was a young RTF major at TCU.

I flirted with a TV production career and was Mr. Schieffer's floor director several times, although I'm quite sure he doesn't remember me.

He was always gracious and encouraging, but one of the TV directors told me, "Stick to radio boy - you'll make more money."

Go Frogs!

Last edited: