• The KillerFrogs

TCU Golf 2023-2024

JogginFrog

Well, some good TCU news…Paul Barjon wins the Korn Ferry Tour Championship and will be a member of the PGA Tour next year.

Congratulations, Paul!
Paul was 45th on the points list going into this week--top 30 earn a Tour card. Well back going into the weekend, he shot 64-68 to win going away. Fantastic!

Game story and highlights: https://www.pgatour.com/korn-ferry-...pga-tour-card-shad-tuten-loses-out-on-penalty

He also pockets 270 grand for the victory.

Paul was 45th on the points list going into this week--top 30 earn a Tour card. Well back going into the weekend, he shot 64-68 to win going away. Fantastic!

Game story and highlights: https://www.pgatour.com/korn-ferry-...pga-tour-card-shad-tuten-loses-out-on-penalty

He also pockets 270 grand for the victory.
Frimodt has also put himself in the hunt to earn Korn Ferry status through the PGA Tour University program. He’s currently 12th. He needs to be in the top 10 to get Korn Ferry status.

It will be fun to track his progress the rest of the year.

JogginFrog

TCU men and women are both in action today.

The men are in Hockley at Houston Oaks for the Big 12 Match Play. They won the morning match, 3-2-0, over Iowa State, with Ethan Dial providing the key point, 1 up, in a match where only 5 holes were halved. They'll play UCF this afternoon. Scoring.

Women are in action at Medinah today for the Illini Women's Invitational. They are really hurting for depth right now. If you must follow scoring, it's here.

JogginFrog

TCU men beat UCF 4-1-0. Ethan Dial was Tiger to Nicholas Estrada's Stephen Ames in a 9 & 7 trouncing, with Ethan -8 through 11 holes. Andrew Petruzelli won both his matches without seeing the 15th hole. Frimodt was -6 in winning both his matches. Jack Beauchamp won his last 3 holes for a 1-up win that capped a good afternoon.

Frogs will face Baylor tomorrow a.m. for the pool title.

JogginFrog

Frogs get blanked by Baylor. Playing this p.m. vs. Oklahoma--may not have any implications on bracket play, which begins tomorrow.

TCU women are about to finish 14th at Medinah. That's not last.

JogginFrog

Was looking at the schedule today and kinda missed that the TCU men are done for the fall.

After the Big 12 Match Play, Baylor Coach Mike McGraw invited Bill Allcorn on his podcast. Thankfully, they did not discuss BU blitzing TCU 5-0. They did talk about connections to Abilene and Charles Coody, how a personal quest for distance helped Allcorn transition from pro golf to coaching, how he caught on at OU, and what he saw in Cole Buck that led to his hire.

Was looking at the schedule today and kinda missed that the TCU men are done for the fall.

After the Big 12 Match Play, Baylor Coach Mike McGraw invited Bill Allcorn on his podcast. Thankfully, they did not discuss BU blitzing TCU 5-0. They did talk about connections to Abilene and Charles Coody, how a personal quest for distance helped Allcorn transition from pro golf to coaching, how he caught on at OU, and what he saw in Cole Buck that led to his hire.

Coincidentally, I listened to that last night. I like our new coach. He’s a very modern-day coach with some old-school values. I think we will see some improvement the next couple of years.

First Tee Frog

Listened to this today then talked to him out at Leonard’s. He and Cole were out helping a player working through something. Think the next 2-3 months will be extremely important for changing the direction of the program and building some momentum.

Listened to this today then talked to him out at Leonard’s. He and Cole were out helping a player working through something. Think the next 2-3 months will be extremely important for changing the direction of the program and building some momentum.
How I wish I had a college coach who was willing to help me work things out. We were basically on our own, or relied upon our own personal instructors who were typically hours away in our home towns. Most of the time, we taught each other.

College coaches are truly coaches in the purest sense today. I played golf recently with an assistant coach from a small, but notable school in Georgia. We had a great conversation about what he does with his players. I was blown away by some of the things he told me he was doing to help players develop.

JogginFrog

World Amateur Team Championships are going on in Dubai this week and next, with one current and at least two former Frogs participating. The format is 72 holes of 3-count-2.

Gustav Frimodt and Jacob Skov Oleson represent two-thirds of the Danish team, which is T6 at the halfway mark, but they are only 3 back of the U.S. team's lead.
Individual leaderboard: https://www.igfgolf.org/watc/2023-watc-abu-dhabi-uae/eisenhower-scoring-male-individual.
Team Leaderboard: https://www.igfgolf.org/watc/2023-watc-abu-dhabi-uae/eisenhower-scoring-male-team

The women's side of the competition is next week.

World Amateur Team Championships are going on in Dubai this week and next, with one current and at least two former Frogs participating. The format is 72 holes of 3-count-2.

Gustav Frimodt and Jacob Skov Oleson represent two-thirds of the Danish team, which is T6 at the halfway mark, but they are only 3 back of the U.S. team's lead.
Individual leaderboard: https://www.igfgolf.org/watc/2023-watc-abu-dhabi-uae/eisenhower-scoring-male-individual.
Team Leaderboard: https://www.igfgolf.org/watc/2023-watc-abu-dhabi-uae/eisenhower-scoring-male-team

The women's side of the competition is next week.
They get 2 points in the PGA Tour University standings for playing in that event, I believe. That will be big for Frimodt.

JogginFrog

They get 2 points in the PGA Tour University standings for playing in that event, I believe. That will be big for Frimodt.
Frimodt is currently in 9th place. He and countryman Kjetterup both passed Wake's Michael Brennan this week by virtue of being among the 3 best amateurs in their country.

I saw where Gordon Sargent locked up his Tour card this week via PGA University Accelerated just by teeing off in the WATC.

JogginFrog

Lois Lau shoots a sparkling 65 at the Jim West but it wasn't quite enough to match SMU's Ellie Szeryk, who shot a 63 to came away with the win. Lois finished solo third.

And thanks to another 65 by Sofia Barroso Sa and a 67 by Meagan Winans, the Frogs posted a -17 round that broke the school record for score in relation to par. Frogs posted the second-lowest score of the day and moved up from 11th to T7. Great way to end the fall slate.

JogginFrog

Looking at other Frog pros to see how they get it done.

Julien Brun also appears to be an elite ball striker, which makes up for poor driving. Brun is outside the top 100 on the DP World Tour in driving distance and driving accuracy, but he's inside the top 35 in GIR, which means that he is better than most with his irons (and may also mean that the Euro Tour rough is benign).

Paul Barjon is just the opposite. He ranks second in total driving on the Korn Ferry Tour but is well outside the top 100 in GIR. He knows how to close when he's in contention, but he'll need to shore up his iron play and putting to be successful on the top circuit.

JogginFrog

Congrats to former Frogs Sabrina Iqbal and Jennie Park, who both finished in the top 40 of a mostly pro field of 188 at the Epson/LPGA Stage 2 tournament. I believe that gives them full Epson Tour status for the upcoming season, and if they finish top 20 in the LPGA's Q Series (first week of December), they'll earn full LPGA status.

Iqbal and Park both competed as amateurs but will need to turn pro to play the Q Series.

I didn't realize that Sabrina transferred to Colorado to play her bonus year and work on a masters in organizational leadership. She posted 3 top-20 finishes this fall for the Buffs, including a T2.

JogginFrog

TCU men announce 3 signees today, all from the U.S. Most prominent is Charlie Wylie of Houston, ranked 14th in AJGA. The other signees are Hudson Wilt of Nashville, younger brother of current player Toby Wilt (both grandsons of Masters starter Toby Wilt), and Blake Burt of Austin.

TCU women announce 1 signee today--Camille Min-Gaultier of France, who is ranked 584th in WAGR, which should be a solid addition. Was hoping to also see 9th-ranked AJGA player Gracie McGovern sign, but no news yet. TCU commitment still appears on her social media.