• The KillerFrogs

TCU Golf 2021-2022

First Tee Frog

He earns a shade over $399,000 for this week's finish...and at least $19,000 more, as that is last-place money in next week's no-cut BMW Championship. Moving up to 48th gives him a realistic shot of making the Tour Championship next week. Congrats to Tom!

he had his priorities straight yesterday. Asked me yesterday if I had heard any frog football practice reports. Head was definitely in the right spot.

JogginFrog

TCU tweets out a pic of its revamped women's team, with two new freshmen plus two transfers.

With classes starting yesterday, it's surprising that Coach Larkin has yet to announce the fall schedule. The women have often begun play in Vail at the Golfweek Conference Challenge--that event is slated for Sept. 27-29.

Wondering if the Big 12 conference shakeup has led to schedule complications-- OU and UT hosted half of the women's fall tournaments last year. OU's Schooner Fall Classic is scheduled for the same week as the event in Vail.

JogginFrog

TCU women finally released their 2020-2021 schedule today. A lot of similarity to last year's schedule, with fall events close to home and spring events mostly out west.

Season kicks off Sept. 12 at Robson Ranch in Denton. Other fall tournament sites include Belmar GC (Norman) and Kissing Tree (San Marcos). The new event on the schedule is Mississippi State's tournament at Old Waverly.

In the spring, the Frogs will play in Scottsdale, Tucson and Napa, sandwiched around a pair of Texas events. Tucson is new; event is co-hosted by Mizzou and K-State at The Preserve.

TCU women finally released their 2020-2021 schedule today. A lot of similarity to last year's schedule, with fall events close to home and spring events mostly out west.

Season kicks off Sept. 12 at Robson Ranch in Denton. Other fall tournament sites include Belmar GC (Norman) and Kissing Tree (San Marcos). The new event on the schedule is Mississippi State's tournament at Old Waverly.

In the spring, the Frogs will play in Scottsdale, Tucson and Napa, sandwiched around a pair of Texas events. Tucson is new; event is co-hosted by Mizzou and K-State at The Preserve.
I'm assuming the move to get more events in Arizona is to prepare them for playing the NCAA in Arizona the next couple of years.

JogginFrog

I'm assuming the move to get more events in Arizona is to prepare them for playing the NCAA in Arizona the next couple of years.

The Clover Cup is great for TCU because it falls at the end of spring break, it's right in Phoenix (Mesa), and teams have time to properly scout Grayhawk beforehand.

The Mountain View event the next week probably serves the same purpose for schools whose spring break falls later (despite the extra drive time to/from Tucson).

For the Frogs, I guess it works from a more-desert-golf-the-better perspective. But the team either has to stay in Arizona another full week or fly back and forth for a couple of days of class. I'm guessing they'll give the women time off during the first half of spring break, then have them go to Arizona for 12 days and hit Grayhawk between tournaments. Wonder if they'll take more than 5? Would be a bad time not to qualify.

Edit: It could reflect some extra consideration for Caitlyn Macnab, who may not have played any golf in Arizona, and who could contend at nationals as an individual even if the team doesn't qualify.

Last edited:

JogginFrog

David Ravetto picks up a top-20 finish on the European Challenge Tour. He seems to have found his footing there. Weird week for him, though. Was top 10 after the first round, but followed it up with a terrible 2nd round. He survived the cut on the number, then worked his way back with a 67 today.

JogginFrog

Not sure what I think about Golf Channel ranking the TCU men in its preseason Top 25 (23rd). Maybe it doesn't hurt for recruiting? It's acknowledgment that the team played well last year when it mattered most, and that they return most of the lineup.

Seems a little high to me, but if Berzina continues on his summer trajectory, Schneider adjusts to Bermuda and Hamm finds some consistency, Frogs could have more scoring depth than any team in recent memory.

JogginFrog

And Sanna Nuutinen shoots a final-round 62 (-7) to finish solo fourth in the LET event in Sweden.

Edit: That's her low career round (previous best 64). I guess it goes into the official stats despite the par-69 course measuring out at only 5,251 yards. Surprised they allow play at that length. Still, it's a 62.

Last edited:

JogginFrog

TCU men posted results from 4 rounds of qualifying for this week's Carmel Cup at Pebble Beach. If format is the same as in the past, teams will play 6-count-5.

Top 4 finishers were Schneider, Hamm, Berzina, and Christopherson. I'd expect to see all of them start--they were 4+ strokes up on the rest of the team.

Not sure what happens from there, as 5 guys were within 3 strokes of each other for 5th and 6th. I don't know if they count all 4 rounds or best 3, and I don't know how many slots are reserved for coach picks.

First Tee Frog

TCU men posted results from 4 rounds of qualifying for this week's Carmel Cup at Pebble Beach. If format is the same as in the past, teams will play 6-count-5.

Top 4 finishers were Schneider, Hamm, Berzina, and Christopherson. I'd expect to see all of them start--they were 4+ strokes up on the rest of the team.

Not sure what happens from there, as 5 guys were within 3 strokes of each other for 5th and 6th. I don't know if they count all 4 rounds or best 3, and I don't know how many slots are reserved for coach picks.

gustav and Massey get final two spots at ridglea south today.

JogginFrog

Noticed that Celli was not among those playing the qualifier this week. Was wondering if he is playing elsewhere or out for some reason. Anyone know what's up with Filippo?

JogginFrog

Back in 2011, both of metroplex auto dealer Fin Ewing III's sons were on college golf squads--Finley at Tech, Charlie at Vanderbilt. So Ewing invited the teams for a little get together in Carmel. Each sent 8 players, and they played one round at Spyglass and two at Pebble in a match/stroke combination event--putt everything out and score it both ways.

The next year, Ewing let TCU, his alma mater, in on the action. The Frogs won the team competition and TCU's Julien Brun edged Finley Ewing IV for medalist.

TCU has been part of the Carmel Cup ever since. Sweet deal, with players staying at The Lodge at Pebble Beach and having caddies and standard bearers. Ewing underwrites all costs. The tournament now includes 8 teams; the 6-to-count-5 format gives teams a little more experience early in the season when lineups are still in flux.

This year's event starts Friday and includes teams that finished last season ranked 1, 2, 7, 12 and 15 per Golfstat. (Frogs were 37th before their run to the final 16 at nationals.) The field also sets up as a conference challenge, with four Big 12 and four SEC teams (still counting OU as Big 12).

Of the four returning players who teed it up for TCU at nationals, only one (Frimodt) made the lineup, and he was the last one in. Transfers Jan Schneider and Brent Hamm will make their TCU debuts. Follow scoring here: http://results.golfstat.com/public/leaderboards/gsnav.cfm?pg=team&tid=23007

JogginFrog

Update: At the Italian Open, Filippo Celli was on the cut line but was sunk by back-to-back doubles on 16 & 17. Mazzoli also missed the cut; Knappe did not start.

Meanwhile, Johannes Veerman continues his stellar play--a pair of 67s has him at T2 heading into the weekend. He is closing in on a top-100 ranking.

Last edited:

JogginFrog

TCU men were not strong at the top and were not strong at the bottom on Day 1 at Pebble Beach. As a result, the leaderboard has a one-of-these-teams-is-not-like-the-others feel. Somewhat predictable when three of your best players from last year did not make the lineup.

At the top, all teams other than TCU had at least two guys break par. Frogs had none.

At the bottom, four other teams threw out 77s or worse. But the Frogs were the only team to count a score worse than 75 (a pair of 77s).

Basically everybody needs to be 3-4 shots better.

Still, the playing time for some of the less-experienced guys is likely to pay off down the road, and a bad result against a small, high-quality field won't hurt in the long term.

flyfishingfrog

TCU men were not strong at the top and were not strong at the bottom on Day 1 at Pebble Beach. As a result, the leaderboard has a one-of-these-teams-is-not-like-the-others feel. Somewhat predictable when three of your best players from last year did not make the lineup.

At the top, all teams other than TCU had at least two guys break par. Frogs had none.

At the bottom, four other teams threw out 77s or worse. But the Frogs were the only team to count a score worse than 75 (a pair of 77s).

Basically everybody needs to be 3-4 shots better.

Still, the playing time for some of the less-experienced guys is likely to pay off down the road, and a bad result against a small, high-quality field won't hurt in the long term.
well that is just a little embarrassing.....

Paint It Purple

Probably old news on this thread, but since my new pickup has Sirius radio, I've been enjoying the golf channel. Was surprised to learn that one of the hosts is a TCU Alum, Drew Stoltz. Funny guy. Talks football almost as much as golf.