• The KillerFrogs

TCU Golf 2021-2022

JogginFrog

Probably old news on this thread, but since my new pickup has Sirius radio, I've been enjoying the golf channel. Was surprised to learn that one of the hosts is a TCU Alum, Drew Stoltz. Funny guy. Talks football almost as much as golf.

I listen to Stoltz's Subpar podcast with Colt Knost sometimes but did not know he's a Frog. Thanks for posting that. Here's detail on his TCU golf career--highlighted by co-medalist honors at the 2005 C-USA tourney.

flyfishingfrog

Sleezy has his moments and he is a much better broadcaster than caddy for sure and he combined with Colt can be brilliant at times

JJ is not bad also but tries too hard and his partner is an idiot so I can’t listen to them

JogginFrog

Brandon Massey gets the first highlight of his college career (in his 3rd competitive round). He closes birdie-birdie at Pebble to shoot a 2-under 70. Berzina matches him, and the Frogs beat 3 SEC teams on a better day.

Frimodt had a great match going with F de O through 14 (Gustav -3, Mateo -2), but a triple on 15 cost Frimodt the head-to-head result. The ex-Frog is T2 overall.

JogginFrog

Frogs are going to finish last in Carmel, but they leave on a high note. They shot -8 today -- 26 shots better than their Day 1 score -- with two scores in the 60s.

I almost posted yesterday that Arizonan Caden Christopherson might get relegated to desert courses only after he went 79-81. But today he shot 67 with a pair of eagles, including one on the 14th, the hardest par-five on the PGA Tour.

Jan Schneider also broke 70 for the first time as a Frog.

Chris Berzina will finish in the top 20 individually at -2, and he won his head-to-head with Mateo F de O today when Mateo tripled the last. Chris has definitely stepped up his game--he did not post a double-bogey in 54 holes.

flyfishingfrog

Frogs are going to finish last in Carmel, but they leave on a high note. They shot -8 today -- 26 shots better than their Day 1 score -- with two scores in the 60s.

I almost posted yesterday that Arizonan Caden Christopherson might get relegated to desert courses only after he went 79-81. But today he shot 67 with a pair of eagles, including one on the 14th, the hardest par-five on the PGA Tour.

Jan Schneider also broke 70 for the first time as a Frog.

Chris Berzina will finish in the top 20 individually at -2, and he won his head-to-head with Mateo F de O today when Mateo tripled the last. Chris has definitely stepped up his game--he did not post a double-bogey in 54 holes.
Hope Coach M takes that finish into consideration the next time he trades loyalty for a “better chance” at winning

JogginFrog

Oklahoma State was 10 shots up on OU with 5 holes to play; Cowboys managed to win by 1. Gary Patterson might be good with that, but not sure about OSU coach Alan Bratton.

JogginFrog

Preseason watch lists are space-filler articles. They don't matter in the long run, because eventually the season plays out and players get the level of credit they deserve.

But I'm still offended at the lack of attention to Caitlyn Macnab paid by the handful of journalists who track with college golf. I was mildly disappointed a couple of weeks ago when Brentley Romine came out with his list of top 30 women's college players (plus a next 10), which included five freshmen, but not Macnab, along with some returning players ranked lower than Macnab in WAGR. Including her would have been justified, but there's a lot of excellent returning college players to choose among.

But when Golfweek's Julie Williams left her off a list of top college newcomers, I had to post to express offense on Macnab's behalf.

Macnab may have been a bit off the radar playing in South Africa (despite top 20s in two pro events this summer), but Williams ignored the 63rd-ranked amateur in favor of players with the following WAGR rankings:
1535​

She also left off the 17th-ranked amateur. That's just not doing your homework.

I hope Caitlyn hits the course next week with a chip on her shoulder.

JogginFrog

TCU women haven't posted their lineup for the season opener in Denton, which starts Monday at Robson Ranch, but it's findable on Golfstat. Frogs will play:

1. Caitlyn Macnab
2. Sabrina Nguyen
3. Valeria Pacheco
4. Lois Lau
5. Caroline Jordaan​

I think it's a good thing to see that Macnab is ready to play the 1 slot from the get-go. Hope she'll set an aggressive tone for the team.

Was wondering if a transfer would make the lineup and Jordaan did. Not a surprise given her strong play in the spring and summer (and you have to like a player who took on the nickname Seabiscuit).

If there's a surprise, it's that Sabrina Iqbal didn't make the squad. She had 11 top-10 finishes in 20 events during her first two years, but only 1 last year, as her game took a step back. Frogs need their season stroke-average record-holder to regain her form.

There are 14 teams confirmed in the field, led by last season's national runner-up Oklahoma State. Host team North Texas is also likely to contend. After that, it's anybody's game.

Pairings aren't out yet, but it will be interesting to see if TCU gets paired with A&M. Former Frog Jennie Park will play #1 for the Aggies.

JogginFrog

TCU men posted their lineup to Golfstat for the Maridoe Collegiate Invitational, which runs Monday through Wednesday:

1. Jacob Skov Oleson
2. Jan Schneider
3. Chris Berzina
4. Justin Gums
5. Brent Hamm​

Gums won the qualifier by a stroke over Oleson. Frogs better be ready to play--it's a talented field and the Maridoe course plays over 7,500 yards. TCU shot +59 last year, which was 9th out of 12 teams in their cohort. It was actually worse than it sounds, as they finished 20 shots out of 8th; their best first-day score was 78.

This year's event includes at least 15 teams, including 6 of the top 13 teams to end last season.

JogginFrog

Interesting. TCU women have changed their lineup for tomorrow. Sophomores Nguyen and Lau are out, senior Iqbal and freshman Avery Blake are in. Wonder if the switch might be illness related.

First Tee Frog

Could not have 2 more different golf courses for the men and the women this week. Wild horse is kind of a joke from tee to green. Maridoe…is not. Brutally hard.

JogginFrog

TCU women set a school-record score in relation to par with an 11-under 277 in the afternoon trip around Wildhorse GC. Frogs tied national runner-up Oklahoma State for low score in Round 2.

Frogs are 4th overall, 6 shots back of OSU with one round to play.

As @First Tee Frog posted, the course isn't a stout test, but it's still impressive to see 67-69-69-72 on the board. In fact, the Frog women have never shot lower; 277 tied their stroke total from 2018 in Cabo, but that was a par-71 track. I think the prior best score in relation to par was -8 in San Marcos when Valeria Pacheco shot 64.

Val was hot again today, notching 13 birdies over 36 holes to lead the field in that category. But her 70-69 was outpaced by Sabrina Iqbal, who shot 69-67. She is in 5th place individually, 2 shots out of the individual lead.

Pacheco is T10 at -5 and Caitlyn Macnab is T18 at -3. She fought back from a slow start (+3 through 6) to shoot 72-69.

Frogs are on watch for team and individual 54-hole scoring records tomorrow. Team record is 253, -11; individual is 209, -7, by Iqbal.

Frogs are paired with the Aggies tomorrow; freshman Avery Blake will go head to head with former Frog Jennie Park (who beat none of her ex-teammates today).

JogginFrog

TCU men were second in the field in par-breakers today at Maridoe, but had a few too many bogeys and doubles in posting +11, which is T9 in a strong field. Frogs are 13 back of OU, but only 5 strokes out of third.

Individually, Brent Hamm is T8 after an even-par 72.

Not a bad start for the guys.

JogginFrog

TCU women lower their 54-hole scoring record by 10 shots, as they finish third in Denton. Frogs shoot -8 for the day and -21 for the tournament (843 total). They passed Oklahoma and remained a shot ahead of A&M, but they never threatened Oklahoma State, which shot a ridiculous -17 today.

While the field included only one top-25 team from the end of last season, TCU beat six teams that were ranked ahead of them last year. They were 27 shots better than host University of North Texas-- a team that whupped the Frogs in match play late last year and returned almost everybody.

Frogs posted 4 sub-par counting scores today--I think just the second time the women have ever done that--led again by Sabrina Iqbal, whose 204 total drops TCU's individual 54-hole scoring record by 5 shots.

Valeria Pacheco and Caitlyn Macnab also posted top-20 finishes, and Caroline Jordaan recorded her first sub-par tournament round for TCU. Did not think that result was likely with Lau and Nguyen sitting out. Great start to the season.

flyfishingfrog

Men had a bad day....and that is being nice about it. Early season so hopefully they figure it out - today was the type of day you either learn from or can stay in your head for a long time.

JogginFrog

Men had a bad day....and that is being nice about it. Early season so hopefully they figure it out - today was the type of day you either learn from or can stay in your head for a long time.

Not much good to be said about that round, but here's something. Justin Gums doesn't get a ton of playing time. Maridoe was one of 3 events he played in last year, and +23 pretty much wrecked his scoring average. So, I'm glad to see him leading the Frogs this week for a bit of redemption.

JogginFrog

Justin Gums shoots a 66 today at Maridoe, with a back-nine 30. The setup or conditions seem a little easier today than prior rounds, but the round-3 average for the back nine was 38.39, so he beat the field by almost a stroke a hole. He finishes at Even par for the tournament, beating his total from last year by 23 shots.

Gums finished T7 individually, beating several guys ranked among the top 50 players last season.

Individual Frogs have posted 33 better single-round scores in their history, but if strokes-gained stats were available, I'm not sure any of them would top this round.

Frogs finish the day +2 as a team, beating yesterday's score by 25 shots. They started the day 9 back of University of North Texas and Florida Gulf Coast, and they end up finishing ahead of those teams. They'll still probably finish 11th, but today will go a long way toward limiting the damage in the stat models used to calculate team ranking.

(Edited to update finish and back-nine stroke average for full field. See later post for more on strokes-gained.)

Last edited: