• The KillerFrogs

TCU Getting a Med School

texas_sicilian

Sorry if this had already been mentioned (didn't read every post), but my understanding from a few folks with ties to TWU, was that A&M was the preferred choice over TCU because they wouldn't be strengthening a local university that they still compete with on other levels. Generally a safer bet from a local competition standpoint.

French Frog

Here is a little information sent to the board members of the Pre-Health Professions Institute Advisory Board by Dr. Matt Chumchal.  I bet most of you didn't realize that we had a Pre-Health Professions Institute.

French Frog

Dear Pre-Health Advisory Board:

Today is a significant and historic day for Texas Christian University!

I am pleased to share with you that earlier today TCU and the University of North Texas Health Science Center finalized a memorandum of understanding to create a new MD school in Fort Worth. 

This collaboration supports TCU’s board-approved strategic plan, Vision in Action: The Academy of Tomorrow, which calls for the University to increase its number of graduate students as well as establish strong graduate programs. Another goal of the strategic plan is for TCU to increase the academic profile of its students. We believe the addition of an MD school will greatly assist in achieving both of these goals.

Our world-class faculty from both institutions, along with a new MD school dean appointed by the provosts from both institutions, will develop the curriculum, which is envisioned to be at the leading edge of preparing future physicians – putting patients at the center of care and working in a collaborative health care team setting.

TCU’s excellent liberal arts programs will assist in developing physicians who think critically about the world around them, have excellent interpersonal communication skills, and are culturally competent, resulting in health care leaders who understand the whole human condition as well as the increasingly complex landscape of the “business” of health care.

Plans are to begin accepting applications for the new MD school in 2017 and to enroll the first class of 60 students in the fall of 2018. Total anticipated enrollment for the new school is 240 students by the 2021-22 academic year.

This is not only an epic day in the history of Fort Worth and TCU, but also promises to take the Pre-Health Professions Institute to the next level. Based on conversations with Dean Phil Hartman, who participated in drafting the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) along with TCU’s Chancellor, Provost and Dean Susan Weeks of the Harris College Nursing & Health Sciences, I anticipate that a variety of new opportunities will present themselves to our pre-health students.  For example, our agreement provides that up to one-third of each entering class will be reserved for TCU pre-health students.  We are very excited about what the future holds as we begin to work with our colleagues at UNTHSC to establish what we hope will be a premier MD school.

We are honored to be part of shaping the future of health care in Texas and beyond. And as always, TCU will remain a university that is personal and student-focused – committed to our overall target enrollment of 10,000 (8,500 undergraduate and 1,500 graduate students).

I hope you will join us in celebrating and supporting this exciting development for our university. We will continue to apprise you of further developments as the new school begins to take shape. In the interim, if you have any questions, please feel free to email or call.

Sincerely,

Matt

Matt Chumchal, PhD
Associate Professor of Biology
Director, Pre-Health Professions Institute

Department of Biology
Texas Christian University
Winton Scott Hall 401
2955 S. University Dr.
Fort Worth, TX 76129
Office - 817-257-6440

tcudoc

TCUdirtbag said:

It's worth noting the announcement event was a bit of a who's-who of FW.  That's a good sign for fundraising.  I expect JPS will end up playing a noticeable role in the program, too. 

I agree about JPS.  It would be a natural fit since they have several outstanding residency programs already there.  This means that the docs there are accustomed to teaching and adding in some med students would go smoother than trying to add them to a hospital that does not already have a teaching environment.  I am really excited about this news and I hope it works out well.  I must say that the collaboration of two very different entities makes me a bit nervous.  A dean answering to the TCU Chancellor as well as the University of North Texas person has potential for chaos and dysfunction.

tcudoc

French Frog said:
For example, our agreement provides that up to one-third of each entering class will be reserved for TCU pre-health students.
If class size reaches ~200 students, this is huge if it holds up.  The percent acceptance rate is already super high for TCU premeds.  Imagine if there is a med school willing to accept up to a third of their class from the TCU pool.  TCU likely would never be able to achieve enough students to meet that mark without significantly expanding the pre med program.

For the purposes of reputation, hopefully the school will attract the best and brightest from around the state and country and not too many TCU students ( I would say 15% would be a good target for TCU students).  It will be interesting to see what the tuition costs will be compared to the state schools. 

rodrod5

some might say "what does this have to do with the HSC and TCU and the MD program"

http://www.gomeangreen.com/forums/topic/104716-University of North Texas-dallas-could-get-a-new-president-soon-but-no-one%E2%80%99s-saying-why/

and the answer is look into the history of leadership at each component of the University of North Texas System and look at the poor hires, the secret firings shortly after "good" evaluations", look at the financial improprieties (and the lack of people losing their job for those issues especially at the top) and you will see a system in chaos repeatedly and one run by a first rate buffoon at the top......one that TCU needs to be prepared to distance from in short order when the time comes 

these issues span multiple presidents at each component of the system, but they all share a single "leader" at the top of the system.....one that is still there today destroying things faster than he can start new things and do a poor job of it

Frogcrates

French Frog said:

We are honored to be part of shaping the future of health care in Texas and beyond. And as always, TCU will remain a university that is personal and student-focused committed to our overall target enrollment of 10,000 (8,500 undergraduate and 1,500 graduate students).
Have they not been reading KillerFrogs?! It's been clearly established that anything less than 100,000 undergrads by 2020 is as embarrassing as the current size of our stadium's video board.

McFroggin

Genus Rana said:
Any news on what residencies will be associated with the school? And when those will begin?
Residency programs are not governed by the same entity. There are places with residencies and no med school.

Residency possibilities depend more on the hospitals than the med school. It is possible that our academic affiliation leads a hospital to add residency options but I think that is far out.

Deep Purple

TCUdirtbag said:
Well, no report yet as to whether Deep will attend the presser.

I was there.  In the gallery right between the trumpeting angels.  I stood there at the bar for two hours and the bartender never showed up.  Outright dereliction of duty.

I can't believe this wasn't reported.

Lot Lizard

tcudoc said:
If class size reaches ~200 students, this is huge if it holds up.  The percent acceptance rate is already super high for TCU premeds.  Imagine if there is a med school willing to accept up to a third of their class from the TCU pool.  TCU likely would never be able to achieve enough students to meet that mark without significantly expanding the pre med program.

For the purposes of reputation, hopefully the school will attract the best and brightest from around the state and country and not too many TCU students ( I would say 15% would be a good target for TCU students).  It will be interesting to see what the tuition costs will be compared to the state schools. 
I think the e-mail states total enrollment would reach ~240 rather than a single class being close to 200. Agree with the overall point but not sure about the exact numbers

Deep Purple

Rifram09 said:
This is awesome!

One note: The info in that article is inconsistent regarding the name of the school:

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/community/fort-worth/article26585644.html#storylink=cpy

I would obviously prefer TCU College of Medicine at UNTHSC. A donor's name could fit in there too. Maybe some of that depends on whether University of North Texas is successful in overturning the Tx Law that prevents them from offering MDs. Found it interesting that the UNTHSC pres said they could offer MD degrees tomorrow simply by putting TCU's name on it (obviously pending accreditation, which is apparently not expected to be a roadblock).

Don't see anything is this article that contradicts what's been announced in the naming scheme, so where's the inconsistency?

Also, the final name won't include "at ___" because the program won't be exclusively located at either TCU or University of North Texas-HSC.  Certain classes will take place at both campuses and be taught by both faculties.  Not a big deal, since the two campuses are less than 3 miles and a 10-minute drive apart.

A much bigger deal will be finding parking on either campus.

TCUdirtbag

Deep Purple said:
Don't see anything is this article that contradicts what's been announced in the naming scheme, so where's the inconsistency?

Also, the final name won;t include "at ___" because the program won't be exclusively located at either TCU or University of North Texas-HSC.  Certain classes will take place at both campuses and be taught by both faculties.

I think a lot can develop/change by the time Applications are available in August 2017.  

Sounds like there are a lot of name options.  Could be a donor name like Smith College of Medicine at TCU and UNTHSC; could be the Fort Worth College of Medicine; could be TCU-UNTHSC College of Medicine; etc.  I don't think TCU College of Medicine at UNTHSC is off the table on logistical grounds as it's hard to see how the majority of the classes won't be at UNTHSC as they'll already have cadaver labs etc. that wouldn't make sense to duplicate on TCU's campus. Someone who's actually been through med school could offer more insight on the actual likelihood of a 2-campus setup. But it seems like they want equal branding, which might strike TCU ___ at UNTHSC as a possibility. 

It sure seems like a neutral name like [Donor] or "Fort Worth" College of Medicine makes the most sense.  The full/official name could have TCU & UNTHSC at the beginning or end, but it could primarily be branded without the schools' names. 

Anyways, it's really here nor there.  I imagine we're a year away from a name.