• The KillerFrogs

TCU Getting a Med School

tcudoc

jentcu said:
McFroggin beat me to the punch, but I'd like to add a few things.

While tcudoc's statistics regarding unmatched residency applicants are absolutely correct they also maybe misleading to those that are unfamiliar with the process of applying for medical residency positions.
1. As of right now, there are still more GME positions (ie residency slots) than there are US medical graduates (both MD and DO). Please note this may change in the future as more new medical schools are added nationwide and current class sizes increasing at a fast rate.
2. C=MD/DO does not necessarily mean you are doomed to be a JUCO biology professor. The number of unmatched medical graduates represents about 3% of the total number of graduating US medical students. The likely REASON that this small percentage of students went unmatched is because they stubbornly applied for ultra competitive residencies (ie orthopedic surgery or dermatology) and did not match. Some of these applicants may not have been qualified for such competitive residencies and did not have an appropriate backup plan. Many reapply the next year but the vacuum leaves several openings for eager foreign medical graduates to obtain US training.
3. I don't think the addition of a medical school at TCU would necessarily force physicians into second careers, but the tipping point is getting closer then it ever has.
P.S. I have really enjoyed this discussion. GO FROGS!
I have been accused of being a pessimist before.  :smile:
That being said, I think the struggle may be somewhere in between.  Students are definitely feeling the pinch and are really scared of not getting a residency program.  The competition is fierce and there are many who get left with the dilemma of no residency program and end up doing research for a year until they can figure out what to do.  I agree that it would be rare for someone to end up as a JUCO professor, but I did meet one who is a middle school teacher (it was likely best for that person).
I do feel strongly that we need residency positions more than we need medical student positions.  We likely need both, but I think the rate limiting factor for getting more doctors in Texas is the insufficient number of residency programs.  Certain specialties (to include primary care) more than others.

frogs9497

Below is an article from the FWST 10 years ago.  Not sure if anyone remembers this transaction, but supposedly the guy who flipped the hospital property to University of North Texas made a cool $10 million just a few months after buying it at auction.  Law prevented University of North Texas from participating in said auction.

One other interesting note:  The FW guy (Patton) who sold to University of North Texas may also be part owner of the LA Dodgers.

University of North Texas buying Osteopathic property
Star-Telegram

FORT WORTH - Just days after seeing the former campus of the Osteopathic Medical Center of Texas sell for $6.5 million at a foreclosure auction, the University of North Texas said Monday that it agreed to buy the property from its new owner.

The university said it expects to close on the purchase by April 1. It did not immediately disclose the price it agreed to pay Fort Worth lawyer Robert Patton, who bought the west Fort Worth property Tuesday.

"The health science center could not purchase the property at auction, because the foreclosure process does not meet various state requirements for property purchase," the university said.

"The state requires that a property purchased by a state entity include a title policy, survey, and other similar items as a safeguard to protect taxpayer money," the university said. "At a foreclosure sale, properties are purchased as is."
Ronald Blanck, president of the health science center, said last week that the university planned to try and negotiate a purchase of the hospital from Patton.

"We're very happy to work with Mr. Patton, whose appreciation of the health science center allowed us to purchase the former OMCT property for less than other offers he had received," Blanck said.

The health science center did not announce immediate plans for the property.

"Before any plans for the property can be made, the health science center will commission a master plan," Blanck said.
The hospital closed in the fall, triggering speculation on what would happen to the main property at Montgomery Street and Camp Bowie Boulevard.

The main property is valued at $38.7 million by the Tarrant Appraisal District for taxing purposes.