• The KillerFrogs

TCU extends contract with Nike

Purp

TCU has the rights to it in full
Wasn't that only for 1 calendar year, though? Still, the calendar year would end some time in the middle of football season. My understanding was the 150th anniversary was part of the reason for making this happen so that all historic logos could be featured in some form or fashion during the next football season. I'd also heard the flying T would NOT appear on a uniform next season, though.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
If so that’s happened in recent weeks, hasn’t been announced, and hasn’t utilized those rights.

From Startlegram last fall:

Harris created the “Flying T” TCU logo in the late 1970s when he played for the school; although it once was used as the logo on the helmet, it finally became official TCU property this fall.

Of course the author is Muck, so veracity is questionable…

TCUdirtbag

From Startlegram last fall:

Harris created the “Flying T” TCU logo in the late 1970s when he played for the school; although it once was used as the logo on the helmet, it finally became official TCU property this fall.

Of course the author is Muck, so veracity is questionable…

I assume from Chico’s like of your post that you’re all just guessing. You can take it from me that TCU definitively did not acquire an unrestricted license or from TCU Athletics: https://gofrogs.com/news/2022/10/20/general-flying-t-apparel-available-for-limited-time.aspx

froginmn

I assume from Chico’s like of your post that you’re all just guessing. You can take it from me that TCU definitively did not acquire an unrestricted license or from TCU Athletics: https://gofrogs.com/news/2022/10/20/general-flying-t-apparel-available-for-limited-time.aspx
Doesn't that seem like a guess on your part, though? It says merchandise will be available for a limited time, with no reference as to why. The McRib sandwich was available for a limited time as well...

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
I’m not guessing one way or the other. The full article does, however, say that Donati asked Marshall to donate it for free and said no way. So TCU bought the rights. It does not say partially, temporarily nor any other reference to limitation.
So, unless Muck is playing fast and loose with his journalism (he wouldn’t do that, would he?), it sure sounds like TCU owns it.

“For years, Flying T gear was available, and when TCU became aware of it, a lawyer would send the creator/seller a cease and desist letter. TCU didn’t own the rights to that logo.

About 12 years ago, TCU administrators asked Harris for permission. This was about the time when retro designs and throwback gear became chic.

TCU’s sales pitch was, “Please give it to us.”

Harris, who is an artist and lives in Fort Worth, knew he had an asset. He wasn’t going to give it away for zero.

On the first day of classes in August, TCU director of athletics Jeremiah Donati reached out to Harris, and the two made a deal.

Harris sold his 40-plus-year-old TCU baby to TCU. The university unveiled Flying T merchandise on Homecoming weekend, and it’s been a big hit, behind one item.”

TCUdirtbag

Doesn't that seem like a guess on your part, though? It says merchandise will be available for a limited time, with no reference as to why. The McRib sandwich was available for a limited time as well...
I am not guessing. The license is limited. And it ain’t going on uniforms.

Purp

Chico knows things. He agrees its not going on uniforms, but I trust him when je says TCU owns it outright. Strangely, it sounds like we may never see it deployed as prominently as we might like, which begs the question why we paid for it outright. I guess the argument will officially be put to bed when/if flying T gear is sold after the 1 year mark of the initial agreement, but I'll be surprised now if it's not available again this Christmas for your favorite family members.

TCUdirtbag

Chico knows things. He agrees its not going on uniforms, but I trust him when je says TCU owns it outright. Strangely, it sounds like we may never see it deployed as prominently as we might like, which begs the question why we paid for it outright. I guess the argument will officially be put to bed when/if flying T gear is sold after the 1 year mark of the initial agreement, but I'll be surprised now if it's not available again this Christmas for your favorite family members.
Would be fantastic if the original deal evolved into a new deal for outright ownership, even if subject to a royalty payment. Perhaps Harris enjoyed the royalties and wanted more? In any event, I don’t know why we’d wait to roll out an announcement and/or better merch if we truly obtained the outright ownership rights. They’d sell a lot more with better gear than initially offered. And as quick as the meh stuff sold, there would be huge incentive to roll out better stuff.

ShreveFrog

I got a Flying T tee shirt last year when they came out. I think it’s good for some novelty merchandise sales. But I don’t really want to see it on our uniforms at all. TCU needs to stick to the arched logo and current Frog logo we’ve had for the last quarter century or so during our athletic rise. It’s our identity.

Deep Purple

confused kristen stewart GIF
Apart from the mysterious sign language, that's a point well-taken. Actually looks more the this...

Frogs Bad.JPG

Deep Purple

Because Donati thanked Harris for his cooperation. If TCU rather than Harris owned the logo, they wouldn't have needed his cooperation.

Purp

Would be fantastic if the original deal evolved into a new deal for outright ownership, even if subject to a royalty payment. Perhaps Harris enjoyed the royalties and wanted more? In any event, I don’t know why we’d wait to roll out an announcement and/or better merch if we truly obtained the outright ownership rights. They’d sell a lot more with better gear than initially offered. And as quick as the meh stuff sold, there would be huge incentive to roll out better stuff.
We said the same thing. It's bizarre they haven't announced it, but it sounds like the outright ownership deal happened before the new year. It's been under wraps for a really long time. Doesn't make much sense, but Donati seems to turn everything into gold so I'll be slow to critique.