• The KillerFrogs

TCU Ain't in Dallas

BleedNPurple

There is nothing wrong with TCU being the favorite college of Dallas. I live in Dallas and FW. I have 3 Dallas neighbors on my block and we all fly TCU flags all year round. I see more alumni stickers in Dallas than I do in FW. Dallas has been very good to me and in my opinion Dallas is owned by TCU grads - I know a ton of them living and making good coin over there!

PurplFrawg

Administrator
hear hear!!

sawwhatyoudid.jpg

Deep Purple

A few years ago I had a meeting with the European president of North American operations for a European high-tech firm that is one of the world's market leaders in its product field. This European country has one of the world's highest standards of living. The company's North American headquarters is in Dallas, but the executive I was meeting with lives in Fort Worth. In fact, his wife was completing her degree at TCU. I asked him why he chose to live in Fort Worth when he had to work in Dallas.

He looked at me as if I were dim-witted, then simply said, "Better quality of life here."

Like him, I never understood why anybody would prefer the plastic-and-tinsel city to the East.

Give me a cold Shiner on the rooftop bar of Reata on a soft summer evening, the music from the 8.0's patio and the lights of Sundance Square wafting up, and the beautiful girls drifting by "dressed in their summer clothes" (as Mick would say).

Or give me a frozen Margarita and a tableful of good friends by a fountain on the Joe T's patio. Or a glass of chilled wine at a 4th of July evening Concert in the Gardens with fireworks. Or a cold beer and a hotdog at a Friday night ballgame at LaGrave Field. Or a lazy Sunday afternoon biking down the Trinity River Trail with a picnic lunch strapped to the back and a pair of binoculars to observe the waterfowl.

Maybe a Saturday night strolling down Exchange Avenue, hearing the chug and whistle of the Tarantula as it rolls into Stockyards Station, and drifting in and out of the saloons to listen the music. Or breakfast at Paris Coffee Shop with long-time pals who've watched one another's kids grow up together since kindergarten.

I prefer leather over vinyl... cotton over polyester... hardwood over composition... genuineness over glitz... authenticity over pretension… and Fort Worth over Dallas.

HG73

TCU needs to put FW on their helmets. Just two small letters on the back, like ANF at Iowa or V at Fresno. "What does that mean" everyone will want to know. The TV announcers will let the audience in on it, "stands for Fort Worth, TCU's hometown." Give FW a little pub, maybe get some FW folks on our bankdwagon, let everybody know where TCU lives.

Or maybe a "D" with a red line through it.

Opintel

Moderators
TCU needs to put FW on their helmets. Just two small letters on the back, like ANF at Iowa or V at Fresno. "What does that mean" everyone will want to know. The TV announcers will let the audience in on it, "stands for Fort Worth, TCU's hometown." Give FW a little pub, maybe get some FW folks on our bankdwagon, let everybody know where TCU lives.

I like it, not that my opinion matters. :mellow:

jack the frog

Pretty neat idea imo, and as someone said earlier, alot of folks from back East are fixin' to discover how great a town Ft Worth really is when their teams visit.

BABYFACE

I don' t have a problem with Dallas and my job has me working all over the metroplex.I just prefer Ft. Worth. As another poster pointed out, better quality of life in the Fort. While I don't deny there are currently more higher paying opportunities in Dallas, the overall big picture is more important to me. Better life and being closer to family and things I love, is in FTW.

TEUFELI

I don't really understand comments like this.

Fort Worth was the first place in DFW I lived when I went to TCU. I love Fort Worth. The entire time I went to TCU it was beat into my head over and over again how terrible Dallas was, and since I never really went to Dallas, I believed that.

When I graduated, I really wanted to stay in Fort Worth, but the better jobs for me were in Dallas. I hated having to move because I thought Dallas was going to be terrible like I had been tought, but I wanted to live in Dallas rather than commute.

It took me all of two weeks to realize that Dallas is great. I don't prefer Dallas over Fort Worth or the other way around, its just different.

It drives me nuts when people say there is stuff wrong with Dallas because MOST people who say that have no idea. They complain about traffic, $30,000 millionaires and whatever else they can find to complain about, but in reality, its your choice what you surround yourself with. I don't deal with traffic. It takes me five minutes to get to work and I actually live and work in Dallas. I don't have to deal with douchy people because I choose not to go Uptown.

I've got more to write but I have to leave.

I lived there for a while as well. And my opinion is opposite. Dallas deserves it's reputation. There is plenty to like about Dallas...but it still deserves it's reputation. If you can't see that...you could be part of the problem. Its ok, somebody has to buy affliction shirts. No offense...

Dtx_Frog_Fan

I live in Dallas now and love it, but I do get pretty annoyed when fort worth is confused with Dallas. Fort Worth is awesome in it's own right and I believe that is diminished when it gets lumped in with Dallas.

Houston Frog

A few years ago I had a meeting with the European president of North American operations for a European high-tech firm that is one of the world's market leaders in its product field. This European country has one of the world's highest standards of living. The company's North American headquarters is in Dallas, but the executive I was meeting with lives in Fort Worth. In fact, his wife was completing her degree at TCU. I asked him why he chose to live in Fort Worth when he had to work in Dallas.

He looked at me as if I were dim-witted, then simply said, "Better quality of life here."

Like him, I never understood why anybody would prefer the plastic-and-tinsel city to the East.

Give me a cold Shiner on the rooftop bar of Reata on a soft summer evening, the music from the 8.0's patio and the lights of Sundance Square wafting up, and the beautiful girls drifting by "dressed in their summer clothes" (as Mick would say).

Or give me a frozen Margarita and a tableful of good friends by a fountain on the Joe T's patio. Or a glass of chilled wine at a 4th of July evening Concert in the Gardens with fireworks. Or a cold beer and a hotdog at a Friday night ballgame at LaGrave Field. Or a lazy Sunday afternoon biking down the Trinity River Trail with a picnic lunch strapped to the back and a pair of binoculars to observe the waterfowl.

Maybe a Saturday night strolling down Exchange Avenue, hearing the chug and whistle of the Tarantula as it rolls into Stockyards Station, and drifting in and out of the saloons to listen the music. Or breakfast at Paris Coffee Shop with long-time pals who've watched one another's kids grow up together since kindergarten.

I prefer leather over vinyl... cotton over polyester... hardwood over composition... genuineness over glitz... authenticity over pretension… and Fort Worth over Dallas.

AMERICA!!!

Houston Frog

I lived there for a while as well. And my opinion is opposite. Dallas deserves it's reputation. There is plenty to like about Dallas...but it still deserves it's reputation. If you can't see that...you could be part of the problem. Its ok, somebody has to buy affliction shirts. No offense...

This guy gets it

SnoopFrogs11

My Young Life leader confused Fort Worth with Dallas the other day when I told him I was in Fort Worth our our friend's wedding. Fort Worth has a bit more culture than Dallas. They are always lumped together but they are not one in the same.

Borat Sagdiyev

[sup][/sup]
Are you implying that I wear affliction tees? If so you could not be more wrong. If that is your view of Dallas I'm sorry you had/have a hard time making friends. While I don't agree with your opinion, I do respect it because you have actually lived in both places and can form your own opinion, unlike most who just say Dallas is terrible because everyone else does.

It's kind of like how I feel about Houston. I don't know much about it, and don't really enjoy it when I go down there, but I don't know enough about to to form an educated opinion about it. I have some buddies down there who like it and that is good enough for me.

Both places are great, but different. While I live in Dallas now, I'm sure we'll be back in fort worth at some point.

Deep Purple

[sup][/sup]
Are you implying that I wear affliction tees? If so you could not be more wrong. If that is your view of Dallas I'm sorry you had/have a hard time making friends. While I don't agree with your opinion, I do respect it because you have actually lived in both places and can form your own opinion, unlike most who just say Dallas is terrible because everyone else does.

It's kind of like how I feel about Houston. I don't know much about it, and don't really enjoy it when I go down there, but I don't know enough about to to form an educated opinion about it. I have some buddies down there who like it and that is good enough for me.

Both places are great, but different. While I live in Dallas now, I'm sure we'll be back in fort worth at some point.

I've lived all three places, plus a year in Nacogdoches during college. I was born and grew up in Houston. It's larger, wealthier, more international, and more cultured than Dallas, but not nearly as pretentious. For all that, I still don't care for it much. As a young man, I lived for a brief time in Dallas -- about 9 months. Never grew to like it. Lived virtually all my adult life in Fort Worth. Always loved it. Neither Houston nor Dallas has the sense of community or civic togetherness that Fort Worth has.

Dallas would probably be no worse than Houston if the city weren't so self-superior and stuck on itself, if it didn't pretend to be so much more important than it actually is. It's just a city that tries way too hard to impress. One wonders if this is actually the mass ego it appears to be, or merely a mass coping with a secret sense of inferiority. I'm not a psychologist; I don't know. I only know it's real. I saw it when I lived there. I see it when I visit there.

Frogcrates

One thing I often remind people is that from downtown to downtown, Fort Worth and Dallas are the Exact same distance from one another as Washington D.C. is from Baltimore. Imagine if you told someone that you lived in Washington D.C. to have them respond with "oh, so you're in the Baltimore area..." or suggesting that the Ravens play in D.C. and that Georgetown basketball is coming to you from Baltimore.

That mistake could get a journalist fired or a visitor punched. I figure it's about time people learn their geography well enough to give the 16th largest city in America its due.