• The KillerFrogs

TCU 360: University employee steals a quarter million dollars worth of pre-Columbian pottery

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

University employee steals a quarter million dollars worth of pre-Columbian pottery​

By Jaida Joyner, Staff Writer

IMG_2537-1200x894.jpeg

The pre-Columbian antiquities housed in a glass case in Scharbauer Hall don’t just tell stories from ancient times, they also have a pretty good tale from 2001.

Known as the Moorehead collection in honor of the couple who donated them, the pieces were the center of a heist from TCU and a lawsuit regarding their value.

At the time of the theft, the Andean artifacts were housed in the Mary Couts Burnett Library after Donald and Shelley Moorehead donated them in 1997.

Read more at https://tcu360.com/2024/01/17/unive...llion-dollars-worth-of-pre-columbian-pottery/

namollec

Doesn't show when he was arrested nor any outcome.
Was the theft actually solved?
What's the point of this article?
Is it about the theft or about art fraud?

froginaustin

Doesn't show when he was arrested nor any outcome.
Was the theft actually solved?
What's the point of this article?
Is it about the theft or about art fraud?

Clumsy editing, that just chopped off the end of the article?

Doesn't say if TCU (or an insurance company) is still trying to recover stuff, as far as I noticed.

PurplFrawg

Administrator
Clumsy editing, that just chopped off the end of the article?

Doesn't say if TCU (or an insurance company) is still trying to recover stuff, as far as I noticed.

"The suspect David Earl Word was arrested in connection with the theft. Word worked as a temporary painter at the library between 1998 and 2000."
So did the theft occur between 1998 and 2000?

FrogCop19

This is very odd. If this is the case I'm thinking of, I was one of the two officers that went down to Houston to arrest this guy. The lead detective on the case set up a meeting with him, and we grabbed him while we were down there and Houston PD came and picked him up (technically it was their jurisdiction). But, as has been stated, this happened over 20 years ago, so unless there is ANOTHER case of pre-Columbian art that was stolen by a temp painter...yeah, not sure why this is just now becoming a story.

Weird.

The TCU Football Jerk

I just finished a book titled The Art Thief. It's about this French couple who stole hundreds of pieces of art over a decade. Collection valued at around 2 BILLION. They never sold a piece. Fascinating.

A cousin to art theft is art counterfeiting. There are some great books out there on it. It is now guesstimated that around half of modern art by famous artists the world over is fake. The good ones fake provenance, the whole works.

Last edited: