• The KillerFrogs

TCU 360: ‘We literally cannot keep up’: Spike in COVID-19 cases prompts warning

TCUdirtbag

because it spiked on Wednesday with a little more than 100 new cases. The last couple of days have trended way down. I don't understand with ZERO hospitalizations why there should be panic. If the infection rate trends around where it was Friday, they should have people getting cleared at the same rate so no issue.

Looking for a downward trend is the right thing to look for - problem is that it appears they update the charts as of the test date - not the result date. So the appearance of fall off has been consistent but deceiving. IOW, when they get results of a Wednesday test on Thursday, they add the case to Wednesday’s total during the Friday morning update. So don’t read too much into the appearance of a drop off just yet.

Also FWIW, I’ve heard anecdotes that the “isolation beds” don’t include where they are isolating entire suites/apartments. For example, if 4-suite makes test positive they just isolate them in-place. That’s happening with some frequency and keeping some isolation beds open.

Best course of action right now would seem to be to find more isolation beds since students seem to be doing fine and not passing it on to employees. Again—IMO employee numbers are the ones to watch (assuming they can obtain more/enough isolation beds). If students aren’t getting severe cases or passing it to faculty/staff, they can keep going.

tyler durden

Tyler Durden
Again how many are severe cases? Hospitalizations? Or are these generally mild/non-severe/asymptomatic cases? Quarantine 10-14 days, treat it and push forward. We know cases are are not typically going to be be severe in healthy young people. Deal with it, follow guidelines and push forward.
Where do you quarantine? Who pays, the parents or the school?

tyler durden

Tyler Durden
I would think that most if not all of the cases are due to non-classroom exposure. TCU is coed: if religions promising hell-fire, disapproval of parents and friends and serious diseases(for young adults) cannot prevent boy-girl physical interaction, a disease which so far has not been generally serious for young adults, keeping 18-23 YO, men and women from close "social interaction", is virtually impossible.

Going to electronic media classes if the students remain on campus would be a waste of resources.

The main thing is keeping the covid cases from leaving campus. No hugging mom, dad or grandparents for a while, kids.
Where will they buy groceries? Are their rights revoked to have the freedom to go where they want?

steelfrog

Tier 1
hence my question from above:
“Why is Texas not participating in the Apple/google Covid tracing with Bluetooth technology? Is this just fear of large corporations and privacy concerns? I’m missing something...”

how exactly do you propose such a thing would be enforced, assuming a non compliant populace (which many will be), constitutional privacy rights and limited manpower in law enforcement that is already overtaxed? This is fantasy and has nothing to do with electing people you trust, as if that’s possible. It’s called reality.

bleedpurple

how exactly do you propose such a thing would be enforced, assuming a non compliant populace (which many will be), constitutional privacy rights and limited manpower in law enforcement that is already overtaxed? This is fantasy and has nothing to do with electing people you trust, as if that’s possible. It’s called reality.
That question is well above my pay grade. If there are other states doing it, it can be done.

Al, Nd, Sc,Va to name a few. I think a few others are going to as well.

steelfrog

Tier 1
That question is well above my pay grade. If there are other states doing it, it can be done.

Al, Nd, Sc,Va to name a few. I think a few others are going to as well.

there aren’t other states “doing it.” It’s not possible to do. Is the point.

exactly what are you talking about? Forcing people to allow their phones to be used to contact trace? That is not being done. Not in the US

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
It's impossible to stress the importance of reading the linked piece. The CDC has just (sheepishly) admitted that this whole thing has been a great lot of panic over very little. Of the roughly 161 thousand deaths attributed to the Chinese virus, only 6% of that total were noted as being killed by COVID alone. Under 10,000. The rest of the dead had an average of 2.6 co-morbidities. There has been a lot of stat-padding going on...

The article also reveals the latest CDC guidance on dealing with a possible infection: Go home. Drink fluids. You'll feel better in a few days.

HFrog1999

It's impossible to stress the importance of reading the linked piece. The CDC has just (sheepishly) admitted that this whole thing has been a great lot of panic over very little. Of the roughly 161 thousand deaths attributed to the Chinese virus, only 6% of that total were noted as being killed by COVID alone. Under 10,000. The rest of the dead had an average of 2.6 co-morbidities. There has been a lot of stat-padding going on...

The article also reveals the latest CDC guidance on dealing with a possible infection: Go home. Drink fluids. You'll feel better in a few days.

BKSledge

They way you are interpreting this information is just so mind-numbingly stupid.

100 million people in the Us have hypertension.

100 million people have diabetes or pre-diabetes.

40 percent of people over age 20 are obese and 71.6 percent are overweight.

This is a country of full of people with comorbidities.

Many of these comorbidities in the data are conditions that result from virus like sepsis, respiratory failure, acute respiratory distress syndrome or renal failure.

HFrog1999

They way you are interpreting this information is just so mind-numbingly stupid.

100 million people in the Us have hypertension.

100 million people have diabetes or pre-diabetes.

40 percent of people over age 20 are obese and 71.6 percent are overweight.

This is a country of full of people with comorbidities.

Many of these comorbidities in the data are conditions that result from virus like sepsis, respiratory failure, acute respiratory distress syndrome or renal failure.

lol, KMA moron

bleedpurple

didn't realize the ceo's of those tech companies were elected
I think you missed my point eight...
I was saying if you don’t trust the elected officials with the power don’t elect them. The CEO’s of the tech companies are doing there jobs. They created a possible solution to slowing the rona.