• The KillerFrogs

Strong Big East Co Coach of the Year

Texas Otto

University of Louisville football coach Charlie Strong garnered co-Coach of the Year honors in the Big East Conference on Wednesday morning. By late afternoon some pundits had him as a candidate for the Florida job after Urban Meyer announced he would step down.

<BR itxtvisited="1">

Strong spent the previous seven years as the Gators' defensive coordinator before getting his first head coaching job at U of L last December. The Cardinals (6-6, 3-4 Big East) were picked to finish last in the league's preseason media poll, but Strong led them to their first bowl appearance since the 2006 season.

U of L athletic director Tom Jurich said he's always worried when a job opens up, “whether it was Florida or anyplace else,” because Strong would be at the “top of the list.”

“He brings everything to a job from A to Z,” Jurich said. “I will do everything in my power to make sure he stays, because he is a perfect fit for this city and this university.”

Strong, who shared the Big East award with Connecticut's Randy Edsall, has been in Florida recruiting since Sunday and could not be reached for comment.

Texas Otto

Looieville is better off having a coach that everyone wants, than one nobody wants-- paraphrasing Coach Fran.

We all are.

I wholeheartedly agree, bad for the conference if he leaves, and a good Louisville program in football and basketball is good for the conference.

Texas Otto

He has waited a long time for this chance and he sounds to loyal to bolt after a season.

I hope you are right and hope he wouldn't be so low as to change after only one year not fair to the kids, the university, or the conference. There just seems to be such a lack of loyalty in college coaching these days that one wonders if it is his dream job and they dangle a boatload of money will he be loyal?

The Big East needed two things:
1) to add another strong tradition rich program (checked that box with TCU)
2) coaching stability (been a little lacking the past few years on this one) :wink:

Texas Otto

Good info and I would agree he probably won't go anywhere right now. I was just speculating on the annual coaching who will be where game and I know FLA will go after him hard (why not right former employee with success as a head coach). That said we need to restore balance in football and basketball and have Cuse,WVU,Pitt, Louisville excel in both sports TCU excel in football and get better in basketball and have Rutgers end up in last place in the conference in both sports (hey it is what they are used to), and have Cincy become a basketball only (as far as being good) school again and all will be right with the world!

kruxcards

Truth is we need ALL teams in this conference to do well. Cincy had a bad year this year but is coming off back to back BCS bowl bids. We need them back too.

Word on our boards is Coach Strong is staying and is currently picking off UM and FU recruits right and left down there. According to the Miami boards we have as many as 6-7 former cane commits visiting this weekend including Teddy Bridgewater (#3 QB in the country).

Btw can't wait to start playing you guys again! Good luck winning tue roses!

halfwaytoheaven

Truth is we need ALL teams in this conference to do well. Cincy had a bad year this year but is coming off back to back BCS bowl bids. We need them back too.

Word on our boards is Coach Strong is staying and is currently picking off UM and FU recruits right and left down there. According to the Miami boards we have as many as 6-7 former cane commits visiting this weekend including Teddy Bridgewater (#3 QB in the country).

Btw can't wait to start playing you guys again! Good luck winning tue roses!

Thanks. We'll be watching to see who's looking strong for 2012. I always try to cheer for the conference mates in OOC action. I even found myself pulling for 'Cuse when they played MSU in basketball the other night.

Texas Otto

Thanks. We'll be watching to see who's looking strong for 2012. I always try to cheer for the conference mates in OOC action. I even found myself pulling for 'Cuse when they played MSU in basketball the other night.

Why wouldn't you with the Cuse having the most cheerful lovable basketball coach in the known world :laugh:

Actuall he is a miserable sob considering he has such a hot wife!

kruxcards

You guys would crush us right now, but most of us are circling 2012 on our calendars as the date we return to the BCS. 2012 will be year 3 of coach Strongs tenure, his system will be firmly in place and we will have 3 years of his recruits under our belts. It's very exciting times at UofL. UofL and WVU make the Big East when they're both good, you guys are icing on the cake. We could very well have 3 top 10 teams come 2012!

BelushiBob

You guys would crush us right now, but most of us are circling 2012 on our calendars as the date we return to the BCS. 2012 will be year 3 of coach Strongs tenure, his system will be firmly in place and we will have 3 years of his recruits under our belts. It's very exciting times at UofL. UofL and WVU make the Big East when they're both good, you guys are icing on the cake. We could very well have 3 top 10 teams come 2012!

And our next QB will be in his second year

Texas Otto

And Coach DM will be in his fourth year at Cuse and will have that program completely rebuilt. Beware of The Orange!

:cool:

mtmedlin

USF cant wait to get in on the TCU action...your first year will be the Senior season for our Top 25 recruiting class. It should be a tough year for yall, gonna be great!

As far as Charlie Strong, I cant see him pulling a Petrino (or is it now called a Kiffin?) and completely [Kragthorpe-ing] all over Luisville who gave him his first big chance...actually, speaking of Petrino, I wouldnt doubt he switches to Miami. He has no loyalty and wants a higher profile job then Arkansas. Miami would pay him well...then again, so would Florida. I wouldnt doubt at all that he goes to one of them.

Its funny how everybody says the BE sucks, but when they need a coach, who do they go after?

kruxcards

You know USF and Cuse fans bring up a good point. The biggest reason we were down this year is because of new coaches and young teams. 2012 could be a monster year for the conference in general. You guys could be walking into a tough year.

kruxcards

I thought so initially too but I know some people close to Jurich and Strong. They say the same thing, he's more loyal to the cardinals than you would imagine. Said he might leave one day but that he feels obligated to TJ and UofL to see the rebuild thru because of the opportunity we gave him.

He's alot like Patterson, cut from a different mold.

Texas Otto

I thought so initially too but I know some people close to Jurich and Strong. They say the same thing, he's more loyal to the cardinals than you would imagine. Said he might leave one day but that he feels obligated to TJ and UofL to see the rebuild thru because of the opportunity we gave him.

He's alot like Patterson, cut from a different mold.

I think you're right Krux, and I hope you're right! I would love to have some epic battles between the Cards and Orange unlike the past several years when that game determined who would come in last place and who would come in second to last). :angry: