• The KillerFrogs

"Striking First" Dave Campbell's Texas Football

frogbyproxy

http://www.texasfootball.com/index.php/college/

The 2013 Winter Edition of Dave Campbell's Texas Football is on shelves across Texas, but you can get your copy sent to you today from the TexasFootball.com store! Featuring recaps for every college team in the state, a complete high school recap, loads of recruiting info and more — including a captivating look at Johnny Manziel's unforgettable Heisman season — it's a must-read for all true football fans! Order your copy today!
[background=rgb(238, 238, 238)]
Football coaches (and, really, all sports coaches) tend to speak in their own language. It usually consists of vague generalities, tired clichés and relatively empty rhetoric. That’s not to demean the coaches; it’s more a statement of fact than an opinion. Coaches do it because it prevents them from saying something they may not want to say, and coaches do it because it works. In the media, we call it “coachspeak.”[/background]
One of those clichés – a high tenant of the coachspeak language – is the idea of a balanced offense. You want to run close to as many times as you pass, they’ll tell you, in order to keep the defense on its toes.[/background]
This is, like many clichés in the sports world, pretty much totally false. If you catch a coach in a candid moment, they’ll tell you that they want to move the ball as effectively as possible. Whether it’s via run or via pass – and the balance between those two – is largely irrelevant. When you find something that works, coaches who are telling the truth will tell you, stick with it.[/background]
That’s not to say that balance isn’t important. Of course it is. If a team passed 99% of the time, the defense would adjust to that strategy. But in general, teams aren’t balanced. They have tendencies.[/background]

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Decent write up and was wondering what our numbers will be this coming season? "If' is the factor this year meaning will it be Casey, Trevone or Tyler. Heavy on the run or maybe heavy on the pass?

frogbyproxy

I want to read more about Johnny Football, seems to be a lack of coverage on what he has been up to lately.

Sorry about that! I didn't read anything on him just the references on run/pass downs. I'm so tired of reading about him that if an article refers to any type of connection to him I won't even look at it.

By the way another article I had fun reading was "Road Warriors". Kind of nice to see we had the shortest travels for conference this year for once. :tongue:
http://www.texasfootball.com/college-news/view/180305

Homebodies (Traveled the least distance)
TCU
[background=rgb(238, 238, 238)]The Frogs traveled just 2,041 miles to get to their six road games this season (or, 4,082 miles round trip), by far the least distance of any Texas FBS school. What's amazing is that this includes a 1,078-mile trip to Morgantown, WV for the thrilling victory over West Virginia. But alas, the other five games were so close to Fort Worth -- Lawrence, KS (447 miles), Dallas (30 miles), Waco (81 miles), Stillwater, OK (234 miles) and Austin (171 miles) -- that TCU stayed the closest to home.[/background]

joejordan

Sorry about that! I didn't read anything on him just the references on run/pass downs. I'm so tired of reading about him that if an article refers to any type of connection to him I won't even look at it.

By the way another article I had fun reading was "Road Warriors". Kind of nice to see we had the shortest travels for conference this year for once. :tongue:
http://www.texasfoot...ews/view/180305

Homebodies (Traveled the least distance)
TCU
[font=Helvetica Neue'][background=rgb(238, 238, 238)]The Frogs traveled just 2,041 miles to get to their six road games this season (or, 4,082 miles round trip), by far the least distance of any Texas FBS school. What's amazing is that this includes a 1,078-mile trip to Morgantown, WV for the thrilling victory over West Virginia. But alas, the other five games were so close to Fort Worth -- Lawrence, KS (447 miles), Dallas (30 miles), Waco (81 miles), Stillwater, OK (234 miles) and Austin (171 miles) -- that TCU stayed the closest to home.[/background][/font]

I'd like to see a comparison from the year(s) before last year.

Gunner

If we get Tunstill, we will run it more next year. When GP said we need two 320 type guards, that was what he was talking about. Control the run, control the ball, run the clock, give the other team less time to score...

Tunstill is half of the need at guard, weighs 330.. Outlaw is a prospect for a big guard down the road. Michael Thompson is a possible 350 pound guard, if he could ever play a season without injury...

Looks like we came up a little short recruiting linebackers, but there are 2 days left, so we shall see..

frogbyproxy

I'd like to see a comparison from the year(s) before last year.

I had it calculated a few years ago and was well over 11,000 miles a year I believe. It was the only reason I was glad we went into the Big 12 at the time. :tongue:

If we get Tunstill, we will run it more next year. When GP said we need two 320 type guards, that was what he was talking about. Control the run, control the ball, run the clock, give the other team less time to score...

Tunstill is half of the need at guard, weighs 330.. Outlaw is a prospect for a big guard down the road. Michael Thompson is a possible 350 pound guard, if he could ever play a season without injury...

Looks like we came up a little short recruiting linebackers, but there are 2 days left, so we shall see..

Your right Gunner but at the same time it also depends on who our starting quarterback will be. Casey will throw more in at least 5 games; Baylor, OSU, OU, KSU and WVU. We will run the ball a lot but I think the numbers will lean to passing this coming season. IMO