• The KillerFrogs

Special Teams Sucks Too...

jake102

Nunez had been performing very well IMO. His injury is turning out to be big, because his replacement isn't getting it done. Those 2 shanks last night basically left Tech already in FG range when they got the ball.

Nunez is injured? I thought he got benched during Ohio State game for dropping that punt?

CountryFrog

Well Nunez couldn't kick it 45 with a tailwind and high altitude, and he's been the guy for two years. It's not by coincidence we haven't put a guy back there that's capable of kicking one deep in GP's tenure. Nunez is perfect because GP can punt from the 32 like he did tonight and not even have to throttle the punter down at all.
A lot of what you're saying is obviously true I just don't understand why you think ANY coach would be intentionally bringing in bad punters for the reasons you've stated. It seems the far more likely scenario is that they just haven't done a great job of bringing in really good punters.

I do think it's possible that GP values position of a kick more than pure power. But there's no doubt he'd love a guy who can punt it 55 yards with hang time and in the proper position.

froginmn

Never averaged more than 41 in a season. He actually had a decent leg but was prevented from booming it deep.
He pinned every team deep, all the time. About 40% of his kicks landed inside the twenty. And was very "capable of kicking one deep".

If he was punting from bad field position he would have had one of the highest averages in school history. He was 41+ 2 or 3 times.

And again "capable of kicking one deep".

PO Frog

He pinned every team deep, all the time. About 40% of his kicks landed inside the twenty. And was very "capable of kicking one deep".

If he was punting from bad field position he would have had one of the highest averages in school history. He was 41+ 2 or 3 times.

And again "capable of kicking one deep".
Jesus just look at the stats. His average would barely be in the top 90. And since Gary punts from the 50 yard line more than any coach in CFB, inside the 20 doesn't mean squat. I flat out said I thought he could boom it longer than GP would allow. What else would you like me to say, Mrs. Kelton?

WE DON'T PUNT DEEP BECAUSE GARY DOESN'T WANT TO. There are literally 142 players in college football that have higher averages than either of our guys. It is not an accident.

PO Frog

A lot of what you're saying is obviously true I just don't understand why you think ANY coach would be intentionally bringing in bad punters for the reasons you've stated. It seems the far more likely scenario is that they just haven't done a great job of bringing in really good punters.

I do think it's possible that GP values position of a kick more than pure power. But there's no doubt he'd love a guy who can punt it 55 yards with hang time and in the proper position.
Do you really think we are so bad at recruiting or unlucky that we can't convince one of the hundreds of HS guys every year that average more than 45 a kick to come play for us? It is intentional. He does not want a guy kicking it more than 50 yards in the air. It's not that hard.

froginmn

Jesus just look at the stats. His average would barely be in the top 90. And since Gary punts from the 50 yard line more than any coach in CFB, inside the 20 doesn't mean squat. I flat out said I thought he could boom it longer than GP would allow. What else would you like me to say, Mrs. Kelton?

WE DON'T PUNT DEEP BECAUSE GARY DOESN'T WANT TO. There are literally 142 players in college football that have higher averages than either of our guys. It is not an accident.
You seem dense.

You said we haven't had anyone capable of punting deep. I pointed out that Anson was very capable of picking one deep. He didn't have a higher per punt average because he was punting from midfield very often. Since (your words) Gary punts more often from midfield than any other coach, what do you suppose that does to the punters distance stats?

I wasn't talking about either of the two guys we have now, I was responding to your comment that we haven't had anyone capable of kicking deep.

Now you yourself are admitting that we have, and that Gary has been preventing them from kicking deep. And putting it in big bold letters.

PO Frog

You seem dense.

You said we haven't had anyone capable of punting deep. I pointed out that Anson was very capable of picking one deep. He didn't have a higher per punt average because he was punting from midfield very often. Since (your words) Gary punts more often from midfield than any other coach, what do you suppose that does to the punters distance stats?

I wasn't talking about either of the two guys we have now, I was responding to your comment that we haven't had anyone capable of kicking deep.

Now you yourself are admitting that we have, and that Gary has been preventing them from kicking deep. And putting it in big bold letters.
Sorry i didn’t realize you were caught up on the mostly meaningless throwaway line of my post and ignoring the larger point which is that GP doesn’t want someone that can launch it. By the way, I immediately agreed that I thought he had a better leg than what Gary would let him use, so I’m not sure why you’re so invested in the the world’s opinion of Anson kelton’s leg strength (which wasn’t ever used judging by his career average).