• The KillerFrogs

Special Teams Sucks Too...

tcumaniac

I’ve seen lots of complaining about Cumbie, Shawn, and our O-Line (all justified), but I haven’t seen much about our attrocious special teams play.

Punting was crippling. Two shanks in a row puts the defense in a terrible place and kills us from a field position standpoint.

Kickoff and punt returns suck too. Our blocking doesn’t create any openings. I don’t think we got past the 25 yard line once today.

Kicking. Scholarship kicker should be able to hit that kick with the wind to his back. And we can’t kick the ball into the endzone for a touch back.

Offense is atrocious, but special teams is just as inept. Plain embarrassing.

Last edited:

Eight

this game can be encapsulated by the frogs getting a block in the back penalty on the opening kick return

agree on the inability to fliip the field punting and what is really hard to understand is the scholarship punter was an asset

It seems to me that special teams issues have been more the norm than the exception. We had Jaden Oberkrom who was money and we've had Kerley and Turpin and otherwise, it's been more miss than hit. And even with the great Turpin moments, mixed in is how many yards we have given up this season by kickoff returns that didn't get to the 25 when he didn't take advantage of the fair catch rule. Fake punts have killed us and mediocre to bad kicking and punting have pretty much been an issue forever. We seem to consistently have pretty decent return coverage but that's about the only thing that we have continually well over the years.

Spike

this game can be encapsulated by the frogs getting a block in the back penalty on the opening kick return

agree on the inability to fliip the field punting and what is really hard to understand is the scholarship punter was an asset

Not sure if starting punter is on scholarship, but Adam Nunez is out w an injury.

PO Frog

Gary doesn't want a punter that can boom it because then we can’t cover it. If he could have a punt 40 yards in the air and a fair catch every time he would take it. Sadly

Eight

Gary doesn't want a punter that can boom it because then we can’t cover it. If he could have a punt 40 yards in the air and a fair catch every time he would take it. Sadly

that would be great, but there was no risk of tech returns on those last two punts simply because they didn't come close to the tech returner

CountryFrog

Special teams have typically been a strength of the team. This year it's certainly been a mess.

That shank at the end of the game was gut wrenching. Who knows what might have happened if Tech starts that last drive at their 15 or 20 instead of the 45. Then we get a stop and maybe Turpin actually has a chance for a return. At the very least we get the ball probably around our 30 or 35. Instead it leads to their punter being able to pin us at our 2 yard line.

CountryFrog

I highly doubt that first sentence is true. I think most coaches would be ok with 40 yards and a fair catch most of the time though.

CountryFrog

He’s talked about it in interviews before.
There's a difference between not wanting to punt the ball 65 yards and outkick your coverage and only wanting 40 yard punts. No coach wants to outkick your coverage but I don't think GP is intentionally putting bad punters on the field just to make sure the ball doesn't ever go more than 40 yards.

PO Frog

There's a difference between not wanting to punt the ball 65 yards and outkick your coverage and only wanting 40 yard punts. No coach wants to outkick your coverage but I don't think GP is intentionally putting bad punters on the field just to make sure the ball doesn't ever go more than 40 yards.
Well Nunez couldn't kick it 45 with a tailwind and high altitude, and he's been the guy for two years. It's not by coincidence we haven't put a guy back there that's capable of kicking one deep in GP's tenure. Nunez is perfect because GP can punt from the 32 like he did tonight and not even have to throttle the punter down at all.

SnoSki

For such a crucial role they have in games I hate that we rely on walk-on kickers and punters. We could have a K like Oberkrom and a punter who can go beyond 35 yards, but, we’d apparently rather spend those 2 spots every 4 years on WR 17 and 18 who will each get about 6 catches per season.

Bizarro Frog

For such a crucial role they have in games I hate that we rely on walk-on kickers and punters. We could have a K like Oberkrom and a punter who can go beyond 35 yards, but, we’d apparently rather spend those 2 spots every 4 years on WR 17 and 18 who will each get about 6 catches per season.
I think. 6 catches is a bit generous. Maybe a tipped pass for an INT or catch a TD pass then drop it before you get into the end zone for a season killing fumble.

Frogs1983

Nunez had been performing very well IMO. His injury is turning out to be big, because his replacement isn't getting it done. Those 2 shanks last night basically left Tech already in FG range when they got the ball.