• The KillerFrogs

Southwest just cancelled 2/3rds of their flights Today

Airlines are way more worried about this very issue now since UAL made the entire industry famous. Not saying it won’t happen but someone will have to explain a pos space DH bumping a pax off a jet and they may have already been through multiple sched changes.
They will certainly try to avoid it if they can, especially as they've angered so many people already. But their crews are scattered all over the country and they must get them positioned correctly to get the airline back on track. Bumping 20 people, say, off a flight to accommodate crew members to fly four airplanes full of passengers will be seen to be the correct call. Most likely, the poor gate agent will be left to tell bumped passengers that the flight is "overbooked" and involuntary denied boardings are necessary.

I spent over 30 years in the airline business with a couple different airlines and I've never seen a mess this big. I can't even imagine the long term consequences for SWA, to say nothing of the short term consequences to our fans trying to get to the game.

NewFrogFan

Oh man, this made me laugh way too hard, I’m cry-giggling. I read the original post and was like what the hell does any of that mean?

I figured I was just a dumbarse for not being able to figure it out, then I got down to your post and thought you were going to have some intelligent commentary on his post as if you knew what it meant, only to read that. Just struck me perfectly.
So I assume that a 4 ship briefing of 4 A-10’s scheduled for a sortie to include AAR, comm out w 2 Extenders, followed by a south departure into the Hog MOA for some LOWATT w Spad Vipers as Bandits, followed by 9line w an AFAC CS Lite, who will give us a SA and target brief and still make TOT may be a little much?

NewFrogFan

They will certainly try to avoid it if they can, especially as they've angered so many people already. But their crews are scattered all over the country and they must get them positioned correctly to get the airline back on track. Bumping 20 people, say, off a flight to accommodate crew members to fly four airplanes full of passengers will be seen to be the correct call. Most likely, the poor gate agent will be left to tell bumped passengers that the flight is "overbooked" and involuntary denied boardings are necessary.

I spent over 30 years in the airline business with a couple different airlines and I've never seen a mess this big. I can't even imagine the long term consequences for SWA, to say nothing of the short term consequences to our fans trying to get to the game.
Then from a pilot perspective, you have forgotten 9/11 where every single airplane landed at the CLOSEST airport available. Every airline, not just one.

r7commish

So I assume that a 4 ship briefing of 4 A-10’s scheduled for a sortie to include AAR, comm out w 2 Extenders, followed by a south departure into the Hog MOA for some LOWATT w Spad Vipers as Bandits, followed by 9line w an AFAC CS Lite, who will give us a SA and target brief and still make TOT may be a little much?
Of course that's your contention. You're a first year grad student. You just got finished readin' some Marxian historian -- Pete Garrison probably. You're gonna be convinced of that 'til next month when you get to James Lemon, and then you're gonna be talkin' about how the economies of Virginia and Pennsylvania were entrepreneurial and capitalist way back in 1740. That's gonna last until next year -- you're gonna be in here regurgitating Gordon Wood, talkin' about, you know, the Pre-revolutionary utopia and the capital-forming effects of military mobilization.

NewFrogFan

Of course that's your contention. You're a first year grad student. You just got finished readin' some Marxian historian -- Pete Garrison probably. You're gonna be convinced of that 'til next month when you get to James Lemon, and then you're gonna be talkin' about how the economies of Virginia and Pennsylvania were entrepreneurial and capitalist way back in 1740. That's gonna last until next year -- you're gonna be in here regurgitating Gordon Wood, talkin' about, you know, the Pre-revolutionary utopia and the capital-forming effects of military mobilization.
Only Gordon Wood I would ever talk about would be the one that won 9 State Championships in Texas HS football. The end. YMMV.

Then from a pilot perspective, you have forgotten 9/11 where every single airplane landed at the CLOSEST airport available. Every airline, not just one.
OK, fair point. Note that I'm not a pilot, so I can't possibly have that perspective.

Recovery from 9/11 was arduous and incredibly sad, but compared to what SWA has in front of them right now, recovery from 9/11 seems like it was a bit easier. Everyone was grounded, and hence the game was not changing in real time. In this case, the game changes every minute, which makes the recovery problem MUCH harder. I don't mean to minimize anything about 9/11. I was in the airline vendor business -- between airline gigs -- during that time. It was scary.

Outback Frog

Been to all of the TCU bowl games out west since 1998 beginning with the Sun Bowl. Driven to all of them except one time I flew Southwest out to one of the Poinsettia Bowls in San Diego. Driving isn't all that bad, especially if you love looking at snow-capped mountains. We are heading west from Ft. Worth on Thursday, breaking it up with a stay in El Paso, before arriving in Phoenix on Friday.

JogginFrog

Wood drastically underestimates the impact of social distinctions predicated upon wealth, especially inherited wealth.

Been to all of the TCU bowl games out west since 1998 beginning with the Sun Bowl. Driven to all of them except one time I flew Southwest out to one of the Poinsettia Bowls in San Diego. Driving isn't all that bad, especially if you love looking at snow-capped mountains. We are heading west from Ft. Worth on Thursday, breaking it up with a stay in El Paso, before arriving in Phoenix on Friday.

Name checks out.

I sometimes consider it a personal challenge to compose complete sentences that consist only of accronyms and jargon . ....of course i cant think of one right now

Aviation is almost a foreign language.... but amazing the differences in culture and terms between the services and civil.

Last edited:

froginmn

Can I meet Adriana de Alba?
Separated at birth from Alicia Lewis Kare11 in Minneapolis.

eefe614b-3c3a-42c8-a832-c43eb88a3fca_1140x641.jpg

41773055-337932660104684-4448582539417747456-n_orig.jpg

NewFrogFan

I sometimes consider it a personal challenge to compose complete sentences that consist only of accronyms and jargon . ....of course i cant think of one right now

Aviation is almost a foreign language.... but amazing the differences in culture and terms between the services and civil.
My wife the retired CRNA and all her hospital buddies could go on for days! I just kept an eye on the chips y salsa y cerveza con sal!