• The KillerFrogs

South Carolina Now: BCS not changing anytime soon

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
South Carolina Now: BCS not changing anytime soon

By Jeff Zell

Republican Joe Barton (Texas) made national news in 2009 suggesting the BCS should “drop the ‘C’ because the system doesn’t represent a true champion.”

Don’t hate on a system that didn’t fail—at least this year.

Auburn ran the table, played the toughest schedule and took home the conference title in the best league in the country. They are joined in Glendale, Ariz., by the only other team in a BCS conference to run the table this season, Oregon. Oregon blitzed their competition, scoring 37 points in all but one game this season.

Okay, so I’m an alum of the University of Texas. This year’s match-up doesn’t quite peak my interest like the 2005 or 2009 championship game—but I will admit, it’s a good game. I’ll get to the game later on. But first, what about TCU?

The ‘little guy’ ran the table and had the best defense in the nation statistically entering the bowl games. While there is something to be said about winning all your games, you have to look at the competition. I understand they beat a Big Ten team in the Rose Bowl, and that ‘they did it for the little guy’, but none of their regular season opponents finished in the top 25 of the ‘unbiased’ AP Top 25 college football poll. TCU only deserves a shot at a national title when every fan in America throws their hands up in disgust because every school from a major conference slips up more than once. Then a school with a recent tradition like TCU can get a shot.

Otherwise, keep the big boys at the big boy dinner table. ...

sous vide

Otherwise, keep the big boys at the big boy dinner table. ...

"College football is special because each and every Saturday can make or break a team’s national championship hopes. The college football landscape immediately changed when the Gamecocks took out Alabama at Williams-Brice Stadium. Michigan State was on the outside of national championship until they were embarrassed on the road at Iowa (37-6).

The beauty of college football is that every week matters.'"

I truly get tired of hearing this little piece of crap over and over. NO week mattered to TCU/BSU.

And, as has been mentioned, it's not "little". It's "effectively barred". UCF is "bigger" than just about every "big" school, for example. And TCU has as much "tradition" as anyone in the country.

Cougar/Frog

A typical idiot Longhorn, and at 27 years old, one without a sense of the years before Mack.

And dumb too ---

Sure, a playoff sounds nice. A four, six or eight team bracket leaving one team standing alone at the end makes too much sense. But it doesn’t make enough dollars and cents.

Is this losing Longhorn so much of a tool to totally miss out on the value of a playoff and the real reason we don't have one is control and power?

tcunate

This [Cowherd]bag is a hypocrite. Last year didnt TCU play more "AP" ranked opponents than UT? Did he write a column stating that because of this, TCU deserved a spot in the MNC instead of UT? Nope.

neo926

I understand they beat a Big Ten team in the Rose Bowl, and that ‘they did it for the little guy’, but none of their regular season opponents finished in the top 25 of the ‘unbiased’ AP Top 25 college football poll.

# of Top 25 teams on the schedule:

Oregon - 1 (Stanford)
TCU - 1 (Utah)

What am I missing here?

Good grief. What a freakin' tool.

When UT beat Big 10 champ Michigan (who had already lost 2 games that year) in the Rose Bowl in 2005 by 1 flippin' point, it was evidence of their ascension to elite status. That Michigan team came into the Rose Bowl ranked #13! UT was #4, and could only manage a 1-point victory.

According to this moron, #3 TCU beating Big 10 champ and #5 ranked Wisconsin proves nothing?

As long as there are fools like this with a voice, GP will have a fresh supply of motivation for the Frogs.

Kiddmetro

He clearly has his Burnt Orange colored glasses on...

A few more years of the Longhorns losing and the Horned Frogs winning might change his tune a bit.

Mike Brooks

He lost me at:

"Okay, so I'm an alum of the University of Texas..."

Rarely, if ever, does anything remotely compelling follow such a statement. Let me know if I am wrong on this piece.

neo926

http://twitter.com/#!/ZellWBTW

I started getting into it with him on Twitter about saying TCU hadn't beaten any ranked teams. His response was that wins over CSU, UNLV and Wyoming aren't comparable to wins over Oregon St, USC, and Cal. I told him that was a stupid comparison, not to mention TCU beat Oregon St as well. I explained that AF, SDSU, and BYU are at least comparable to Pac-10 teams 3-5, USC, Washington, and Arizona. The Pac-10's bottom is better than the MWC's bottom, but that's not particularly relevant.

He shockingly has not responded to any of my other comments.

Dtx_Frog_Fan

This [Cowherd]bag is a hypocrite. Last year didnt TCU play more "AP" ranked opponents than UT? Did he write a column stating that because of this, TCU deserved a spot in the MNC instead of UT? Nope.

Facts are only relevant when they support the correct side of the argument. Enough now, the beatings will continue until morale improves.