• The KillerFrogs

Sources: Gary Patterson a strong candidate at Houston

tjcoffice

Albeit a.700 win percentage against football teams that mostly shouldn’t exist in D1.
Yea, but. Traylor's two predecessors could not win against those same teams. The first coach was Larry Coker who won a national championship at Miami. Frank Wilson the second guy, was known as a good recruiter when he was at LSU. But, UTSA struggled under both.

Endless Purple

The implication was meant to be that if you're just going to hire Kingsbury (which it now seems they aren't) then why bother firing Holgerson. I know Holgo has been slipping but you'd be paying $15M to can him then replacing him with a less likable offensive nut job who also can't win. I totally understand why they fired Holgo if they make a clear upgrade like hiring Traylor.
Ok. So a tie into Kingsbury from elsewhere.

He did not ever cross my mind as a valid option. Just a lot of media clickbait. Thus I was not sure where your post game from. Makes sense now.

Limey Frog

Article I saw lists Traylor and the Tulane coach as top targets for Whoston.
Yes, GP is clearly the fall-back option, which strongly suggests exactly what many of us said at the end of 2021 when he leaked his interest in coaching again in future: his ceiling in the market is probably a G5 job, which seems entirely beneath him and wouldn't give him a chance to prove any of what he seems to still feel a need to prove. Is he still young enough to put in 2-3 good years at somewhere like UTEP then convince a P5 school that he's got 4-5 more good years still in the tank for them? By that point you're asking an AD to sell his alumni-donor base on a hire that intentionally plans for having a nearly 70-year-old coach. Or is GP thinking he'd take UTEP and make it be his last job? If so, what can he possible do there that he hasn't done already?

I guess he just loves coaching so much that he'd rather be doing it anywhere than nowhere. I hope that's what it is. I'd just hang out and enjoy the absolute freedom that wealth affords, personally, but head coaches are just wired differently.

Zubaz

While I like Gary, I think he burned a bridge when he chose to go out the way he did. If programs reach out to the AD and get both sides of the story, some programs may not want someone who thinks they're above the AD or school. Far too many people blow up bridges on their way out.
1). What sort of bridge did he burn really? We fired him, he chose not to work out the rest of the year, oh well. It tells you that Gary is stubborn and could get Moody....which anyone who paid attention to him already knew. I don't think that's too big a deal.
2). Pretty unique situation there too, considering he was a two decade icon who basically built the program at TCU and who was working with his fourth AD at the school. I would think the dynamics at any other school would be different, and Gary knows that too.

I would think any hesitation on hiring Gary is more age and / or "game has changed" related than anything about his last few days at TCU.

Last edited:

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I guess he just loves coaching so much that he'd rather be doing it anywhere than nowhere. I hope that's what it is. I'd just hang out and enjoy the absolute freedom that wealth affords, personally, but head coaches are just wired differently.
Patterson is "wired differently." I don't think there is any sort of gearbox on him, allowing him to coach in a different manner, only a big switch that says "ON-OFF" and nothing else. When it's on, it's on. Full speed and intensity.

If he has been interviewed, I think this would show through, and I can imagine the Old School in him was roaring out and scaring the living daylights out of the others in the room. Land Frog up top is quite right: His exit was less-than-graceful, and the ADs are a clubby little bunch. It may well be that he's blackballed and won't ever coach again at the P5 level simply because he is stubborn and irascible, and no one wants to deal with that.

Land Frog

Darn baylor!
1). What sort of bridge did he burn really? We fired him, he chose not to work out the rest of the year, oh well. It tells you that Gary is stubborn and could get Moody....which anyone who paid attention to him already knew. I don't think that's too big a deal.
2). Pretty unique situation there too, considering he was a two decade icon who basically built the program at TCU and who was working with his fourth AD at the school. I would think the dynamics at any other school would be different, and Gary knows that too.

I would think any hesitation on hiring Gary is more age and / or "game has changed" related than anything about his last few days at TCU.
I think you answered some of your own questions. He's stubborn. Not something people on a team (school/AD and coach) want to deal with. He could have made a million+ by choosing what TCU offered him back then. Instead, TCU had to fire him. Considering the totality of circumstances, including today's version of the game and NIL, I think it's an uphill desire for him to be a HC at a prominent university.

Wexahu

GP is 63 years old and he was 21-22 in his last 5 years as a P5 coach.

I think the reason why he might not get another P5 job probably doesn't need to be explained much further. He might get a "P5" job, but it's not going to be a very attractive one.

OICU812

I think you answered some of your own questions. He's stubborn. Not something people on a team (school/AD and coach) want to deal with. He could have made a million+ by choosing what TCU offered him back then. Instead, TCU had to fire him. Considering the totality of circumstances, including today's version of the game and NIL, I think it's an uphill desire for him to be a HC at a prominent university.
This, plus, beyond his undeniably quick and fertile mind for x and o thinking, his most recent history is that many aspects of coaching have passed him by.
You can say, “Oh I’ve changed/learned/refreshed,” whatever spin you want to put on it, but unfortunately for him his most recent documented history is mostly negative especially re: dealing with today’s modern players.
I would think that part of it will be between very hard and not possible to overcome for a potential P4 hiring group.

tmcats

This, plus, beyond his undeniably quick and fertile mind for x and o thinking, his most recent history is that many aspects of coaching have passed him by.
You can say, “Oh I’ve changed/learned/refreshed,” whatever spin you want to put on it, but unfortunately for him his most recent documented history is mostly negative especially re: dealing with today’s modern players.
I would think that part of it will be between very hard and not possible to overcome for a potential P4 hiring group.
they said this about bill snyder back '03. he went on to win another b12 championship in 2012 and had the #1 team in the country. he was 73 at the time. gary patterson is 63. have you seen what jerry kill is doing at nmsu? he's 62. mack brown is 72. the game has passed him by is an easy, lazy, but failed canard.

Last edited:

Zubaz

they said this about bill snyder back '03. he went on to win another b12 championship in 2012 and had the #1 team in the country. he was 73 at the time.
To be fair, he then got curb-stomped by Baylor and Oregon, both "new school" offensive teams, finished outside the Top 10, and never sniffed a conference title after that.