• The KillerFrogs

Sources: Gary Patterson a strong candidate at Houston

Sangria Wine

As it pertains to head coaches I always think it’s the devil that you know that should guide decisions. You fire a coach and hire a new coach and the new broom sweeps good for a minute and then you figure out the new coach has his own flaws and also is not Bear Bryant, Nick Saban, Woody Hayes, Knute Rockne, Bobby Bowden or Steve Spurrier like you hoped he was. You know because those are 1:1000 guys. So you get rid of him and rinse, wash, repeat. Like Texas and Texas A&M have done. It’s a fools game hiring head coaches. Churn your assistants…help get them promotions to bigger jobs and keep them cycling through. THAT is the recipe you dream of. Keeps new blood and ideas coming while also maintaining consistency in leadership with the devil that you know.

Endless Purple

Good luck getting anything more out of Coach YoloV-neckBro-swag. Kliff is just the less fun, off-brand version of Holgo.
Who said anything about Kliffy? You asked why fire him, and I simply answered the question you asked on why he was fired. If you do not like it, take it up with Khator.

Limey Frog

Who said anything about Kliffy? You asked why fire him, and I simply answered the question you asked on why he was fired. If you do not like it, take it up with Khator.
The implication was meant to be that if you're just going to hire Kingsbury (which it now seems they aren't) then why bother firing Holgerson. I know Holgo has been slipping but you'd be paying $15M to can him then replacing him with a less likable offensive nut job who also can't win. I totally understand why they fired Holgo if they make a clear upgrade like hiring Traylor.

Last edited:

Wexahu

The implication was meant to be that if you're just going to hire Kingsbury (which it now seems they aren't) then why bother firing Holgerson. I know Holgo has been slipping but you'd be paying $15M to can him then replacing him with a likable offensive nut job who also can't win. I totally understand why they fired Holgo if they make a clear upgrade like hiring Traylor.
How is Traylor a "clear upgrade"?

Sangria Wine

He has a .700+ win percentage as head coach of a program that didn't previously exist. That seems like good work to me. I'd expect him to have success at another south Texas program with better opportunities.
Albeit a.700 win percentage against football teams that mostly shouldn’t exist in D1.