• The KillerFrogs

So, do we have any Baseball players left?

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Seems like The Portal is about to blow a fuse what with the entire Frog Baseball roster seeming to run for the exits all at once. Do other teams suffer from this kind of tumultuous turnover? Do we have anybody to replace these guys with?

Pray, enlighten...

FrogAbroad

I guess not enough money is being thrown around the baseball department.
That can be either a lazy excuse for poor performance or a legit reason for weak competitiveness, and at this point in the new college athletics landscape I have no idea which it would be. After a handful of years things will most likely settle down and be more or less peaceful, but I'm convinced there will be realigned strata, primarily with the moneyed schools solidifying their positions of recognition in the rankings and the not-so-moneyed sliding into relatively secondary roles. Sort of "the rich get richer" kind of thing. Whatever the result, it should be interesting to watch, but I think there will be fewer upsets, surprises and dark horse candidates.

Oh, and as a side note, I gave BFrog a thumbs-up for intelligent and refreshing alliteration.

Wexahu

That can be either a lazy excuse for poor performance or a legit reason for weak competitiveness, and at this point in the new college athletics landscape I have no idea which it would be. After a handful of years things will most likely settle down and be more or less peaceful, but I'm convinced there will be realigned strata, primarily with the moneyed schools solidifying their positions of recognition in the rankings and the not-so-moneyed sliding into relatively secondary roles. Sort of "the rich get richer" kind of thing. Whatever the result, it should be interesting to watch, but I think there will be fewer upsets, surprises and dark horse candidates.

Oh, and as a side note, I gave BFrog a thumbs-up for intelligent and refreshing alliteration.
As far as the “interesting to watch” part, I beg to differ. I think it’s all a gigantic bore.

EVOfrogMR

Phillip J Fry Futurama GIF

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
So, are we becoming little more than a stepping stone? A little stop for "seasoning" on the way to bigger and better things? If this is the rut we're slipping into (and it sure seems like it), Coach Saarloos needs to stop that crap right quick!

Paint It Purple

We have 2 incoming portal players and 17 high school players signed, so lots of players have to go. Maxwell hurts a little, Robinson has some potential but looked lost at the plate at the end of the year. The others portaling out either played sparingly or not at all.
Crazily, he looked more comfortable at the plate than the big left handed transfer. Loved the young man, but he was lost. Breaking ball down strike one; slider under the hands strike two, gas in or change away, sit down. Felt sorry for him.

LisaLT

My question is this - do baseball players command close to the same level of NIL money as football or basketball players do? Our program is highly regarded - even though this year was below expectations - so I would think we’d be able to get top players here regardless based on our track record. Am I crazy? (Don’t answer that part lol)

Probably year to year there is going to be a lot of turn over like other sports. That is the way things are right now. The grass is always greener for some. Some will realize that they may have to back off a bit to get playing time. Some are, "Show me the Money!!" I didn't have a pot to piss in when I was in school. Given the opportunity, I might have looked for some money, too. But with no speed, power or arm, it was always just a pipe dream anyway. The vast majority of them should be concentrating on getting an education and making contacts. Changing schools, especially if more than once, helps neither. Education did great by me.

Big Frog II

I hope we find the right person to play 3rd this year. That position has been one of our strengths forever. This year is was anything but.

Wexahu

My question is this - do baseball players command close to the same level of NIL money as football or basketball players do? Our program is highly regarded - even though this year was below expectations - so I would think we’d be able to get top players here regardless based on our track record. Am I crazy? (Don’t answer that part lol)
It’s all changed. I don’t think it’s set in yet for some.

The only way we’re going to be able to get, and more importantly keep, the best players is by paying them. For sure in football, basketball and baseball, and maybe other sports too. I don’t think track record means much at all anymore. Maybe our boosters are willing to play the game, but I sure don’t blame them if they aren’t.

I honestly couldn’t name 10 players on our football team anymore (and I used to be to able to name 60+, at least). I have no idea who is still on the team beyond a few kids, and honestly I have no interest in trying to keep track.

Last edited:

Paint It Purple

It’s all changed. I don’t think it’s set in yet for some.

The only way we’re going to be able to get, and more importantly keep, the best players is by paying them. For sure in football, basketball and baseball, and maybe other sports too. I don’t think track record means much at all anymore. Maybe our boosters are willing to play the game, but I sure don’t blame them if they aren’t.

I honestly couldn’t name 10 players on our football team anymore (and I used to be to able to name 60+, at least). I have no idea who is still on the team beyond a few kids, and honestly I have no interest in trying to keep track.
"I have no idea who is still on the team beyond a few kids, and honestly I have no interest in trying to keep track."

Your sentiment is prevalent and growing rapidly. It will kill college athletics, yet the administrators, presidents, networks, media and especially the athletes don't seem to care.

East Coast

Tier 1
"I have no idea who is still on the team beyond a few kids, and honestly I have no interest in trying to keep track."

Your sentiment is prevalent and growing rapidly. It will kill college athletics, yet the administrators, presidents, networks, media and especially the athletes don't seem to care.
I used to know all the football scholarship players, and many of the walk ons. Now, by the time the season starts, I know most of the 2 deep, but even that takes a lot of effort.

East Coast

Tier 1
In general, no. A couple of schools have a rep for paying, looking at you LSU, and a few of the draftable HS guys do, but the rest don't get much (if anything). What is going to help TCU is with the law suit settlement, TCU can choose to give every roster player a full scholarship, not just 11.7 equivalents. This starts in 2025, and will level the playing field a lot.