• The KillerFrogs

SMU to the Big East

DannyAdelante

Ok, I know there have been about a million threads about Big East expansion, but here's another one.

There have been a bunch of names bandied about regarding the next football member of the Big East - Villanova, UCF, Temple, Army and/or Navy. Has anyone mentioned SMU?

Personally, I think they'd be a good addition. They'd give us a natural in-division rival, they're becoming more competitive every year. It'd give the conference another foothold in Texas.

If I'm looking at it objectively, I think UCF is the best move. But looking as a TCU fan, I would like to play SMU with possible conference titles on the line.

cdsfrog

Like Houston they would need more consistent good play. Houston had 2 good years had 10 sucky ones basically in the last 12 years. Same thing with smu but to an even lesser extent

We need to see consistency of play, heck of a lot more season ticket holders and better attendance first.

Rabble Rouser

We are in a unique position right now being the only BCS AQ school in Texas that doesn't have to live in the shadow of the Longhorns and I don't want us to just give away that advantage to our rival who hasn't earned it. But if we HAD to add a Texas school to the BE Houston would be a much better addition imo.

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
I see where you are going on this but I have to ask what would they bring to the table? Their football is better but its still not up to snuff. Their basketball is not in much better shape than ours. Golf and tennis are not all that great and womens basketball is average. Plus they have no baseball.

I just dont see how they could add any value to the BE

dkfrog

There have been a bunch of names bandied about regarding the next football member of the Big East - Villanova, UCF, Temple, Army and/or Navy. Has anyone mentioned SMU?

How? What would they bring? In any sport other than soccer, if they are still good at that.

SMU soccer is still quite good, but that really isn't the point. I would love to hear what any of the programs listed above bring to the table that SMU doesn't...

SMU solidifies the DFW market for the Big East, they are actually investing in their football program now, and they would be a good addition to the academic makeup of the conference. As for how this relates to TCU, it would solidify our "rivalry game" while freeing up an opportunity to schedule another non-conference game and it would give us a travel partner (not too sure if this is all that valid).

froginaustin

I think the idea of "earning" an invitation to a conference miscasts the quandry.

If a large group of informed business people (likely from the TV networks PLUS our own athletic departments and trustee athletics committees) can convince a bunch of naturally skeptical decision-makers (university presidents) that SMU brings more than it would take, SMU's "earned it". Invite them. If not, don't.

per-school share with SMU > per-school share without = invitation

per-school share without SMU < per-school share without = no invitation

Army Frog Fan

I am one of those folks who cares a lot less about the olympic sports. We play SMU every year anyway. I would love for that to be a conference game and free up an OOC slot. If the BE goes to 10 with say UCF or ECU or Nova and they decide to play 9 conference games, which is likely, then TCU has:

9 BE games
SMU
FCS school (as long as GP likes to continue scheduling them)

that only leaves 1 open slot for home and homes or marquee away/ neutral site games.

cdsfrog

We are in a unique position right now being the only BCS AQ school in Texas that doesn't have to live in the shadow of the Longhorns and I don't want us to just give away that advantage to our rival who hasn't earned it. But if we HAD to add a Texas school to the BE Houston would be a much better addition imo.

Houston is still an awful candidate

Averaging .500 the past decade isnt good

Nor is 5-14 against AQ teams since 02 (didn't look at 01 took for back for espn). Those 4 wins include teams such 4 win Misisissipi state twice and 2 bad OSU teams. Other was 7-5 tech

Totally agree on the unique position. That is a great point

Frog DJ

Personally, I think TCU is better off as the only member of the BE in the state of Texas.

Offering Texas basketball prospects the opportunity to play in the nation's best conference, while still playing home games within driving distance for friends and family is a distinct advantage for CJC.

Plus, TCU has worked long and arduously to garner this AQ invitation, and extending that honor to SMU, UH, Rice, etc. seems to diminish that accomplishment, since none of those schools have achieved anywhere near the success of TCU's football program.

In my view, the distinction of being the only FBS school in Texas to belong to an AQ conference other than the B-12 is worth protecting.

Just my stupid opinion.

Go Frogs!

Rabble Rouser

Houston is still an awful candidate

Averaging .500 the past decade isnt good

Nor is 5-14 against AQ teams since 02 (didn't look at 01 took for back for espn). Those 4 wins include teams such 4 win Misisissipi state twice and 2 bad OSU teams. Other was 7-5 tech

Totally agree on the unique position. That is a great point

I agree Houston is an awful candidate I was just saying they are better than SMU if the BE was dead set on another Texas school. They would add a large unique TV market and have a large alumni base which would make them more valuable for the BE than SMU.

cdsfrog

I agree Houston is an awful candidate I was just saying they are better than SMU if the BE was dead set on another Texas school. They would add a large unique TV market and have a large alumni base which would make them more valuable for the BE than SMU.

true on both points. hopefully they don't add either

halfwaytoheaven

I have yet to hear of a proposed Big East member with anywhere near the credentials of BYU. The conference should be making every effort to bring those guys in - all sports, football only, whatever.

cdsfrog

I have yet to hear of a proposed Big East member with anywhere near the credentials of BYU. The conference should be making every effort to bring those guys in - all sports, football only, whatever.

Considering the type of conference the Big East is, BYU would be a great one, except location wise. Great basketball, decent football with great alumni base and attendance which travel well.

Gunner

Bad idea. Reason, the BE already owns the Texas TV market(or will). I don't care what stats analyst bring to the table, you can't ignore Texas love for a winner. If 5-7 Texas and TCU, were playing at the same time, forgetting the alumni thing, who would Mr. Smith watch. If he's not a Texas alum, you want to watch the best football team, right? Of course.

And who is to say Texas automatically gets better. It is not guarranteed. The Aggies, of all people, are projected higher than UT. After LSU even, that is not a reach. So, right now the Big East is looking good. And they don't need SMU. SMU is somewhat of a sleeping giant, with June Jones at the wheel. But so what.

The Big East would be wise to take in Central Florida. They have consistently gotten better and are 16-8 in the last 3 years in Conf USA. They are a big school with money, and a 50,000 member student body and a decent TV market. They are in one of the hottest recruiting areas in the country and can help BE salesmen.. Momentum from going BCS auto, would be a catalyst to even better quality wins.

The BE should go after Boston College, who is very unhappy with the ACC. Stay away from Houston.