• The KillerFrogs

SMU fans

JogginFrog

Is SMU really a rivalry of a sort? I mean really?
When I was in college (mid-80s), most of us would have called SMU our biggest rival. Conference mates, similar profiles, opposite sides of same metro area, Dallas city slickers who played in Texas Stadium vs. boot-wearing Cowtowners who played on campus. SMU had a top-10 team and boosters on both sides competed in pay-for-play. Pranks were plentiful--the best one being the rye grass seed that the SMU band shook out of its pants at the end of a halftime performance, leading to a giant "SMU" growing in TCU's midfield in spring.

The death penalty took the luster off the rivalry, and TCU's revival with Tomlinson & conference change (2000-2001) put the schools on different trajectories.

McDawg

When I was in college (mid-80s), most of us would have called SMU our biggest rival. Conference mates, similar profiles, opposite sides of same metro area, Dallas city slickers who played in Texas Stadium vs. boot-wearing Cowtowners who played on campus. SMU had a top-10 team and boosters on both sides competed in pay-for-play. Pranks were plentiful--the best one being the rye grass seed that the SMU band shook out of its pants at the end of a halftime performance, leading to a giant "SMU" growing in TCU's midfield in spring.

The death penalty took the luster off the rivalry, and TCU's revival with Tomlinson & conference change (2000-2001) put the schools on different trajectories.
The rye grass is pretty ingenious. I knew a guy who put a big “G” on his UT Vol neighbors front yard back in 01’ right after the “Hobnail Boot” game. But the band doing it is definitely a step up.

Froglaw

I kinda struck a nerve with my sMU golf buddy when I mentioned the tcu sMU series - Ford stadium attendance.

He swelled up a little and said SMU fans would have better attendance if TCU got them into the Big 12.

I have my doubts, but that maybe leftover pain from this years crappy Ford Syadium experience.

PurplFrawg

Administrator
Pranks were plentiful--the best one being the rye grass seed that the SMU band shook out of its pants at the end of a halftime performance, leading to a giant "SMU" growing in TCU's midfield in spring.
In the interest of accuracy, they didn't spell out SMU, it was just the "M" with the angled bits they use as a logo.

Froglaw

In the interest of accuracy, they didn't spell out SMU, it was just the "M" with the angled bits they use as a logo.

one more reason to ban their crappy band from our field.

Yes and no? TCU on paper outrecruited SMU but when SMU won in 2019 and 2021 I didn't think we out-gimmicked or got lucky, we just had better players/scheme. When Dykes took over TCU I thought he was in for a rebuild, especially with Evans and your two stud DL transferring out (I wonder how they feel now?). It was no secret that Dykes was recruiting Mordecai to transfer over to TCU last offseason and Duggan wasn't even the starter week 1 and he ends up in NYC for the Hesiman ceremony? [ What the heck? ]

All of this is terrible. I don't know what deal ya'll made with the devil but I hope Georgia beats the absolute brakes off of you guys. But given what I've seen this year I wouldnt be surprised if ya'll win. Georgia has been good for some clunkers this year (Mizzou and Kentucky) and they're not invincible.

Go Dawgs WOOF WOOF
You've never had better players. You had better coaching, which this year was proven 100%.

Wexahu

They were all whining about either Dykes leaving or how Dykes wasn't that good of a coach.
So were a lot of our own fans on the latter part. Had a “ceiling” of about 8 wins since he didn’t win a whole lot at Cal.

There was a lot of ridicule thrown at Dykes last December because he wasn’t a sexy enough hire. How embarrassing we hire a guy from SMU. Remember that?

CountryFrog

So were a lot of our own fans on the latter part. Had a “ceiling” of about 8 wins since he didn’t win a whole lot at Cal.

There was a lot of ridicule thrown at Dykes last December because he wasn’t a sexy enough hire. How embarrassing we hire a guy from SMU. Remember that?
Tough to say if it was "a lot" of our fans or just a vocal minority. But there were certainly people who thought all of that.

Also I'm pretty sure there was a thread on here about how only Deion Sanders could save our program.

MTfrog5

Yes and no? TCU on paper outrecruited SMU but when SMU won in 2019 and 2021 I didn't think we out-gimmicked or got lucky, we just had better players/scheme. When Dykes took over TCU I thought he was in for a rebuild, especially with Evans and your two stud DL transferring out (I wonder how they feel now?). It was no secret that Dykes was recruiting Mordecai to transfer over to TCU last offseason and Duggan wasn't even the starter week 1 and he ends up in NYC for the Hesiman ceremony? [ What the heck? ]

All of this is terrible. I don't know what deal ya'll made with the devil but I hope Georgia beats the absolute brakes off of you guys. But given what I've seen this year I wouldnt be surprised if ya'll win. Georgia has been good for some clunkers this year (Mizzou and Kentucky) and they're not invincible.

Go Dawgs WOOF WOOF
Mathis was not a stud DL. He opened the door for someone who could contribute. He was part of the main reason why SMU could run around the edge whenever they wanted to under Dykes.

Eight

Mathis was not a stud DL. He opened the door for someone who could contribute. He was part of the main reason why SMU could run around the edge whenever they wanted to under Dykes.

this, he was far better on paper than he was in 90% of his games at tcu and he has to be hoping no nfl scouts find the iowa state game films