• The KillerFrogs

Singleton De-commits

mark32

Darius Singleton decommited from playing basketball at TCU for the start of the 2011 season. Kind of surprising since he committed to us when he was a Sophomore. Anyone know why this happened?

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
Darius Singleton decommited from playing basketball at TCU for the start of the 2011 season. Kind of surprising since he committed to us when he was a Sophomore. Anyone know why this happened?

That happened this summer. It was a mutual thing and happened shortly after the break up of his AAU team. Not sure if he wasn't developing as they expected or what was going on but sounded like the staff and the player were no longer on the same page.

I wonder if the late addition of Jarvis Ray had anything to do with it. The three spot is a little busier now than when he committed.

Things have been very quiet with the fall signing period being about a month away, anyone heard of any players we are targeting? Info is pretty scarce online.

freebird

Found this post from OU site

Publicly both Darius and TCU are saying it was a mutual split, but I'm not fully buying it. The fact that this comes at the end of the "AAU season" and the NCAA summer eval period is most likely not a coincidence. Might be TCU got cold feet after watching his progress (or lack thereof) from this time last year. Or, it could be once the Dallas Heroes fell apart, the relationship that connected Darius to TCU eroded.

Like with any of these young men, I only wish him the best; but for my money, I just don't see his game intense enough to compete at a high level in the Mountain West, much less the Big 12.

Probably a better fit for the Southland, and the like, right now. If he decides to wake up one day and really bring it on a consistent basis, then he certainly has the skill and body to do so at the mid to high D1 level.

If I were predicting, he'll end up at a [Deleted] though. Some staff will be willing to take the chance they can get him to be intense because of his potential. Hope he gets that chance.

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
As far as 2011, a couple of kids originally from Chicago Julian and at IMG Basketball Academy (Fla) showed big this past weekend and are being scouted by TCU. Here is a report from somewhere (I forgot):

Jamari Traylor (Chicago, Ill./IMG Academy)
2011, PF, 6-6, 200 pounds
Traylor was the hardest-working player at the combine, but his toughness and athleticism make him a special player. He was most effective on offense running in transition, rebounding or receiving the drop-down pass from guard penetration and finishing with a two-handed slam dunk. Traylor was also able to knock down the 15-foot jump shot, but did not look comfortable. He was relentless on the defensive backboard, coming down with tough rebounds in crowds and was able to start the fast break and deliver passes to teammates. Bradley, UIC, TCU and Nebraska have shown interest in Traylor.

Shayok Shayok (Chicago, Ill./ IMG Academy)
2011, SF, 6-6, 190 pounds
Shayok is a versatile wing who can create shots off the bounce, finish in traffic with either hand or settle for the mid-range jump shot. He likes to use the left-to-right, crossover dribble to attack his defender off the bounce and has an explosive first step when driving the basketball and good elevation and rhythm on his jump shot. He will be an asset at the college level because he can defend both wing positions and as he gets stronger, he could also guard face-up power forwards. Shayok has offers from Bradley, Detroit, Duquesne and interest from Memphis, DePaul and TCU.

Looks like Singleton is going to Central Arkansas. Hopefully it will be a good fit for him. Corliss Williamson is the new head coach there.