• The KillerFrogs

Since chef Tim Love is TCU related ....

Boomhauer

frogs9497 said:

From Lilli's website and served in a stein:

DRAUGHT
Samuel Adams, Boston, MA(Seasonal) 5
An American wheat beer, brewed with malted wheat, lemon zest and grains of paradise.

Maredsous 8 - Brune, Belgium 5
Dubbel Brown Ale - A refined flowery-fruity aroma and delicate sparkle.

Blue Moon, Colorado 5
Belgium White - Crisp and tangy and ends with coriander and orange spiciness.

Staropramen, Prague 6
Soft, malty flavor with a gentle bitter end.

Am I the only one who doesn't like Blue Moon?  And I see it everywhere.

cdsfrog

Ron Swanson said:
It's not like that at all

People have different tastes. I think about 90% of the beers all my buddies have me try suck. I try to be a good sport and drink all these fancy beers, but the problem is the bad flavor... my taste buds don't like them

There's a reason it's rated a 0 on ratebeer. No one actually being serious pretends that it tastes good compared to any decent beer.

Compared to the other domestics it's fine. Are there worse beers out there? Sure, keystone light, Milwaukee's best, etc. I'll drink it if it's free, but it tastes like bad carbonated water to me.

You're right about different tastes, like I said some people think frozen steaks taste better than high end steak houses. Your definition of bad flavor isn't really wrong or right. Seems crazy as hell to me but it's just an opinion.

Hell try Staropramen , it's a lager similar in style just doesn't taste bad. If you genuinely tell me that Miller Lite pale lager is better than Lager beer you get on tap from Czech Republic that would be crazy. It's a very similar style just much better in every regard.

One of the best pale lagers in the country is Yuengling. Of course it's not available in Texas....yet

cdsfrog

Boomhauer said:

Am I the only one who doesn't like Blue Moon?  And I see it everywhere.

Tons of people hate Belgian White beers because are they are much sweeter than a standard lager/ ale.

That and the fact and it's one of the worst Belgian white beers out there (still not horrible in my opinion) makes plenty feel that way.

Easy to drink in quantity and you can buy it everywhere for pretty cheap. I had it at the Coors Factory and it wasn't much better there either. Coors Light was better on site though; not great but improved for sure.

List of worst beers in the world
http://www.ratebeer.com/Ratings/TheWorstBeers.asp

What's funny is our crappy beer is on a whole different level of crap than our countries. The #1 selling beer in the world (Snow Beer) in China isn't in the the bottom 100.

Frog-in-law1995

cdsfrog said:
Couldn't make it past Sleeman Clear.

Incidentally, I hope you aren't seriously citing that as a reliable study. Its methodology is terribly flawed. The only people who voted are self-defined "beer enthusiasts." People who consider themselves "beer enthusiasts" are never going to vote for Lite because enjoying microbrews is what began their journey towards becoming an "enthusiast."

Doesn't mean they have better taste buds, though. You mentioned earlier that you think Guinness tastes good. I happen to agree, but I know a crap ton of people who think that's the worst beer in the world.

Ron Swanson

A better comparison than the steakhouses would be Evan Williams to Johnny Walker Whatever Label. The Johnny Walker could be universally regarded as better liquor than Evan Williams, but I don't like Scotch and I like Evan Williams.

You can call me insane all you want, but that won't change the way my taste buds communicate to my brain. I love some fancy beers, but I think a whole lot of them suck. I like the taste of Miller Lite, I think it's delicious.

Oh, and color me shocked you found a beer rating group that doesn't think Miler Lite is good... really eye-opening stuff, I always thought it was a critically acclaimed lager

cdsfrog

Frog-in-law1995 said:
Couldn't make it past Sleeman Clear.

Incidentally, I hope you aren't seriously citing that as a reliable study. Its methodology is terribly flawed. The only people who voted are self-defined "beer enthusiasts." People who consider themselves "beer enthusiasts" are never going to vote for Lite because enjoying microbrews is what began their journey towards becoming an "enthusiast."

Doesn't mean they have better taste buds, though. You mentioned earlier that you think Guinness tastes good. I happen to agree, but I know a crap ton of people who think that's the worst beer in the world.

Maybe on rate beer that's the case but beer advocate isn't really like that. Like I said, it's an opinion but it's a fact that with 96 calories and being that dirt cheap the process is cheaper, the materials are cheaper and there is less flavor in general. Any of the light pale ales all taste watered down because they are.

There isn't a single reasonable methodology on earth that would rate miller lite as a good beer in general. Maybe in a sub category but even that's a stretch

Evan Williams to Johhny Walker is not a fair comparison. Alcohol wise Miller Lite to Staropramen is Taaka or McCormicks Vodka to say Kettle One or Titos.

As for Guinness, people that think that hate the style of the beer. The ingredients and processed used for that while not necessarily the best is still very impressive unlike that of massively produced domestic pale ales.

Frog-in-law1995

cdsfrog said:

Maybe on rate beer that's the case but beer advocate isn't really like that. Like I said, it's an opinion but it's a fact that with 96 calories and being that dirt cheap the process is cheaper, the materials are cheaper and there is less flavor in general. Any of the light pale ales all taste watered down because they are.

There isn't a single reasonable methodology on earth that would rate miller lite as a good beer in general. Maybe in a sub category but even that's a stretch
Gold medal American-style lager at the 2014 great American Beer Festival.

http://www.greatamericanbeerfestival.com/the-competition/winners/

Evan Williams to Johhny Walker is not a fair comparison. Alcohol wise Miller Lite to Staropramen is Taaka or McCormicks Vodka to say Kettle One or Titos.
I'll bet you a billion dollars that if you did 100 legitimate blind taste tests between McCormicks vodka and Tito's vodka, the result would be a statistical tie, or within 5 points either way.

As an old friend of mine (and great Merican) used to say "if we all liked the same thing, I'd be scheissing your wife"

To me silver bullets are like Krispy Kreme donuts. Are there better donuts? Undoubtedly.. but they taste like home. It's what grew up on etc....

cdsfrog

Frog-in-law1995 said:
Gold medal American-style lager at the 2014 great American Beer Festival.

http://www.greatamericanbeerfestival.com/the-competition/winners/

I'll bet you a billion dollars that if you did 100 legitimate blind taste tests between McCormicks vodka and Tito's vodka, the result would be a statistical tie, or within 5 points either way.
Worked at a liquor store where did blind tests. Titos was one of the first as Western Beverage next to Costco was one of the first to carry it. Taaka doens't just give bad hangovers, it tastes awful. The bite is so damn sharp anybody, no matter the experience can tell a difference. Pour it through a brita filter 4/5 times and maybe not.

As for for GABF American Style Lager Beer- 32 entrants, every single of them are the same watery style of beer. Like I said any credible source. It's comparing beer that's exactly the same. 32 types of bud light, coors light, miller light, etc

jake102

My beer scale ranking system goes something like this:

How many beers I can drink before I fall asleep / cost of beer.

Coors light = 4 beers / $1 per beer = ranking of 4

Most craft beers = .5 beers / $3 per beer = .1666777

cdsfrog

Jake102 said:
My beer scale ranking system goes something like this:

How many beers I can drink before I fall asleep / cost of beer.

Coors light = 4 beers / $1 per beer = ranking of 4

Most craft beers = .5 beers / $3 per beer = .1666777

hahaha. Awesome

Frog-in-law1995

cdsfrog said:
Worked at a liquor store where did blind tests. Titos was one of the first as Western Beverage next to Costco was one of the first to carry it. Taaka doens't just give bad hangovers, it tastes awful. The bite is so damn sharp anybody, no matter the experience can tell a difference. Pour it through a brita filter 4/5 times and maybe not.

As for for GABF American Style Lager Beer- 32 entrants, every single of them are the same watery style of beer. Like I said any credible source. It's comparing beer that's exactly the same. 32 types of bud light, coors light, miller light, etc
What category does it have to win before you'll concede that some people think it tastes good? Stouts?

cdsfrog

A category that doesn't have nothing but [ Finebaum ] beers. They have are some that are good category wise. Winning the [ Finebaum ] beer category isn't that impressive.

Hunt Together

cdsfrog said:

As for Guinness, people that think that hate the style of the beer. The ingredients and processed used for that while not necessarily the best is still very impressive unlike that of massively produced domestic pale ales.
The methodology of pouring it into my my mouth in copious amounts says it tastes damn adequate. Anyone who tells me I'm lying can go hang out with the Soviets and their beer IMO. Is that reasonable methodology? Who knows?

Frog-in-law1995

cdsfrog said:
A category that doesn't have nothing but [Craig James] beers. They have are some that are good category wise. Winning the [Craig James] beer category isn't that impressive.
I don't give two Darns what's impressive. Is it possible for a human being to think Miller Lite tastes good?

cdsfrog

Adequate might be a stretch but that's not at least saying better than the top beers.

For me on a hot long day, I think adequate is correct. Like any beer, the more you drink the more adequate it tastes. However, Taco Bell is adequate to some but they sure as hell don't make the best burritos