• The KillerFrogs

SI: Southern California prospect went from Cal to TCU to Cal to TCU in 24 hours

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

Cal Football: Surprise! DT Damonic Williams Flips Once More, Signs with TCU​

damonic-gone.jpg

Southern California prospect went from Cal to TCU to Cal to TCU in 24 hours.

JEFF FARAUDO

Defensive lineman Damonic Williams, probably a little dizzy by this point, de-committed from Cal for the second time in two days and signed with TCU on Wednesday afternoon.

A 6-foot-1, 314-pound three-star prospect from southern California, Williams committed to Cal way back in January.

But on Tuesday morning — 24 hours from Signing Day — he changed his mind in favor of TCU, now led by former Cal coach Sonny Dykes.

Read more at https://www.si.com/college/cal/news/williams-signs-tcu

Wog68

So, If you have signed a National Letter of Intent, can you enter the transfer portal before you graduate from high school?

FrogAbroad

I can rather empathize with these young men, who are in many ways still kids, inexperienced in making decisions that truly impact a life.

I recall many years ago -- I was pushing 26 years, just getting my MBA -- I made a tough decision between public accounting and portfolio management. A few months later I had serious second thoughts and contacted the company that came in second in my career race. I wound up sticking with my first decision...fortunately it turned out to be the best decision, by far.

But these guys are younger, less experienced, and are being told how wonderful their football career will be, how success is a virtual given, how they will love being a student-athlete for whatever university is courting them at the moment. It's exciting, it's stressful, it's scary. Most will make good decisions, some will mess up a little but live their way through it, a few will screw up big-time. They're listening to recruiters who are looking to build a great athletic team, but not necessarily to build a great future for every kid they recruit.

I feel sorry for some of these young athletes. They are put on the spot to make a life-impacting decision for perhaps the very first time. It can be daunting.