• The KillerFrogs

Sewo and Anderson...maybe this is better

Limp Lizard

Many here cry for more carries for Anderson or Olonilua.  And I admit, that Anderson does very well with his north-south style and it seems like every game that Sewo gets at least a few carries, at least one is an "Oh, mah Gawd!" type carry.  They will probably get more carries as they learn the offense.

But...despite loving to see them run, a fact is that they are true Freshmen.  And 18-19 year old bodies, no matter how impressive, can't hold up too long.  Look at Peterson at OU, or Perine...they were great as Freshman, Peterson has been hurt on and off his career, and OU can't get a consistent season from Perine.  At TCU, Lonta Hobbs had a great Freshman season, but was hurt a lot the rest of his career.

OTOH, LT did not carry the ball much his Fr. year, was the #2 back his Soph year, then carried the load as a Jr. and Sr., and had a very successful pro career with few injuries.

So, let them have a few touches, certainly help win games, but don't ruin the rest of their careers.  There is a huge difference between a 18 yo body and a 21 yo body.

Of course, I will continue to sit in front of the TV yelling to give the ball to Sewo!!  But that is selfish.

Wexahu

Every carry that goes to one of those guys is one less that goes to Hicks.  Hicks is the best we have right now, no sense not giving him the ball as much as possible.

The time will come for DA and SO, just like it did for Hicks.

I think the RB rotation has been fine.

Punter1

I was one of the biggest "Sewo is a defensive player" advocates...but I'm a big fan of him on offense now. He's gonna be a beast.

I just wish he had redshirted this year...but he's been great on special teams.

RufeBruton

Limp Lizard said:
Many here cry for more carries for Anderson or Olonilua.  And I admit, that Anderson does very well with his north-south style and it seems like every game that Sewo gets at least a few carries, at least one is an "Oh, mah Gawd!" type carry.  They will probably get more carries as they learn the offense.

But...despite loving to see them run, a fact is that they are true Freshmen.  And 18-19 year old bodies, no matter how impressive, can't hold up too long.  Look at Peterson at OU, or Perine...they were great as Freshman, Peterson has been hurt on and off his career, and OU can't get a consistent season from Perine.  At TCU, Lonta Hobbs had a great Freshman season, but was hurt a lot the rest of his career..
Or Tommy Palmer

SwissArmyFrog

Punter1 said:
I was one of the biggest "Sewo is a defensive player" advocates...but I'm a big fan of him on offense now. He's gonna be a beast.

I just wish he had redshirted this year...but he's been great on special teams.

Some people are great football players no matter where you put them.  He may very well be a great LB or DE, too, had he been put there.   Boykin was a solid receiver, and as time showed, a great QB.  Turpin is GREATNESS, but his size would perhaps prevent him from being as great a CB or RB as he is a receiver.

Have to admit, I like it when I see the QB handing Sewo the ball!  Darius Anderson is exciting, too.

Hicks is one of those guys who, when you see him run, it looks like he's moving slowly.  I know he is not, but...maybe it is just something about his stride, it just looks like he is moving slower when he runs.  I don't know what his 40 time is.  He's great, regardless.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
SwissArmyFrog said:

Some people are great football players no matter where you put them.  He may very well be a great LB or DE, too, had he been put there.   Boykin was a solid receiver, and as time showed, a great QB.  Turpin is GREATNESS, but his size would perhaps prevent him from being as great a CB or RB as he is a receiver.

Have to admit, I like it when I see the QB handing Sewo the ball!  Darius Anderson is exciting, too.

Hicks is one of those guys who, when you see him run, it looks like he's moving slowly.  I know he is not, but...maybe it is just something about his stride, it just looks like he is moving slower when he runs.  I don't know what his 40 time is.  He's great, regardless.
I understand what you mean with that last paragraph. The 40 yard run against Baylor looked like he was Peyton Manning breaking into the open. But clearly it's deceptive. It's the way he runs or something because you don't do what he did to Baylor, with their consent of course, without some outstanding moves and speed.

Herschel Walker (not comparing them) never looked fast but he most assuredly was very fast. It must have to do with their running style.

notyalc

Limp Lizard said:
And 18-19 year old bodies, no matter how impressive, can't hold up too long. 

Sewo does not have the body of an 18 year old. However I agree with you that bringing them along gradually is a good thing and a luxury we have.

maximilian

Just remember, Trevorris Johnson had more career yards, TDs, and carries than Kyle Hicks until the SMU game this year. The garbage time dominance is not necessarily a predictor of future success.

jake102

maximilian said:
Just remember, Trevorris Johnson had more career yards, TDs, and carries than Kyle Hicks until the SMU game this year. The garbage time dominance is not necessarily a predictor of future success.

TJohnson's running style doesn't fit our offense. I do have some worries regarding Sewo, but based on his 33yd run against Baylor he looks very fast.

maximilian

Go watch TJ's runs against Tech in the 4th 2 years ago. He looked like an every down back there. Just as monstrous as Sewo's limited experience.

I also forget that we have Shaun Nixon coming back next year.

ifrog

maximilian said:
Go watch TJ's runs against Tech in the 4th 2 years ago. He looked like an every down back there. Just as monstrous as Sewo's limited experience.

Wow we will a solid stable of running backs next year

These two young men have shown great promise. Their limited exposure, to date, is but a mere 

sample of the promising future that lies ahead. 

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?

I love TJ. He runs angry!