• The KillerFrogs

SA Express-News: Mistake-prone Texas slips up against TCU

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Mistake-prone Texas slips up against TCU

Nick Moyle

FORT WORTH - Moments before tip-off, the Schollmaier Arena public address announcer implored TCU fans to remain on their feet until Texas had scored. It would be a show of solidarity, a sign of appreciation for their team’s defense.

Twenty-nine seconds later, Texas senior guard Kerwin Roach II buried a deep 3-pointer and ended the crowd’s one-possession vigil.

Despite Roach’s early take-a-seat three, Texas couldn’t keep TCU down for good Wednesday night in a 65-61 loss.

Read more at https://www.expressnews.com/sports/...prone-Texas-slips-up-against-TCU-13557086.php

hometown frog

The BMDs down in Austin are starting to spur on Shaka Smart. They have no consistency in their performance or style. I’m guessing this might be his last year as the head coach in Austin. Maybe they give him one more.

BABYFACE

The BMDs down in Austin are starting to spur on Shaka Smart. They have no consistency in their performance or style. I’m guessing this might be his last year as the head coach in Austin. Maybe they give him one more.

To my eye, UT seems to resemble more of the NBA game on offense that looks to exploit favorable one on one matchups. When UT doesn’t get that, they seem lost on offense.

Eight

some orangebloods believe that the version of shaka smart now coaching in austin is not the version they thought there were hiring from vcu.

smart's vcu teams were made of under recruited, over achieving players who often were in his program 4 or 5 years and perfectly fit his "havoc" system which utilized pressure on the defensive end and up tempo transition on the offensive end.

his connections and time working with usa basketball has given him access to a level of talent he never would have gotten close to a vcu which in theory is good.

his 5 recruiting classes have been ranked 18th, 6th, 6th, 8th, and 14th nationally and in his 4th season at texas he is 67-58 overall and 26-35 in the big 12.

it is pretty funny listening to some orangebloods try to defend him and justify more time when the guy has been given resources and on paper only been out recruited by kansas.

if you really want to piss off a texas basketball fan (if you can find one) ask them if they ever work on shooting.

MTfrog5

some orangebloods believe that the version of shaka smart now coaching in austin is not the version they thought there were hiring from vcu.

smart's vcu teams were made of under recruited, over achieving players who often were in his program 4 or 5 years and perfectly fit his "havoc" system which utilized pressure on the defensive end and up tempo transition on the offensive end.

his connections and time working with usa basketball has given him access to a level of talent he never would have gotten close to a vcu which in theory is good.

his 5 recruiting classes have been ranked 18th, 6th, 6th, 8th, and 14th nationally and in his 4th season at texas he is 67-58 overall and 26-35 in the big 12.

it is pretty funny listening to some orangebloods try to defend him and justify more time when the guy has been given resources and on paper only been out recruited by kansas.

if you really want to piss off a texas basketball fan (if you can find one) ask them if they ever work on shooting.
What I didn’t realize is Shaka has never won a regular season championship and is 2-6 in the big tournament since his final 4 run. So basically Texas hires a coach who made a miracle final 4 run 5 years before they hired him

Leap Frog

Summary, anybody?
Looks like Frogs won the game on the boards-- 42-33.
FG's 24 for each team.
3 pt. fg's, Texas made 9-- Frogs got 5.
FT's, Frogs 12 of 18-- Horns only 4 for 7.
PF's, Texas lost this stat 20 to TCU's 12.
The assists, turnovers, blocks and steals all about even.

Wexahu

I didn't watch his VCU teams much except a little bit in the tournament, but damn, UT just looks like a horribly coached team to my eyes. It's just a bunch of guys running around out there. Much like uptempo and playing fast in football doesn't equal good, playing full court D and running up and down the court doesn't equal good in basketball.

Eight

I didn't watch his VCU teams much except a little bit in the tournament, but damn, UT just looks like a horribly coached team to my eyes. It's just a bunch of guys running around out there. Much like uptempo and playing fast in football doesn't equal good, playing full court D and running up and down the court doesn't equal good in basketball.

the rub to many in austin is they aren't doing at texas what he did at vcu.

the claim by those who defend shaka is that he hasn't recruited the kids that fit that system and he is recruiting a different type of player now in austin.

gary has tweaked the type of kids he recruits, but fundamentally he wants the players in his defense to play the same roles. his d-tackles are going to try to clog thngs up. big difference is he needs guys who go 300+ instead of the smaller guys he had in the wac and mwc.

the roles are still the same just as corners have to play man, linebackers have to cover a great deal of space, and his best safeties do a little of everything.