• The KillerFrogs

Rumor from Cougar Board

Boomhauer

Not so sure I believe this guy, but I do agree with his assessment of the BYU football program now that they are independent. Horrible choice for them and they should have stayed in the MWC.

BYU to the Big 12 not happening?

BYU To The BIG 12 Not Happening
As you all know by now President Samuelson has spilled the beans on BYU not going to the BIG 12. Yes, this sucks and yes its easy to point a finger at him for not getting it done. The truth of the matter is the BIG 12 wanted BYU first and foremost to join and an invitation would have come but the powers that be at BYU were unwilling to provide certain athletic department financial information to the BIG 12.

The Big 12 is concerned that BYUs athletic department is partially funded by the tithing of the church, which in their eyes is a huge disadvantage to the other Big 12 schools. BYU being private and church owned is not obligated to disclose financial information about the school publicly and was not going to bend to the Big 12 for what ever reason.

What makes this miss opportunity to go into a BCS conference even worse is the realization Bronco has had in the last few days. He now knows its difficult to motivate a team when there is nothing left to play for. After losing one game as an independent the best you can hope for is some crappy, meaningless bowl game against a non BCS team.

No motivation means there will be few wins for BYU, no matter what level of talent they have. Too few wins means less TV time given to BYU in the future by ESPN. This will equate to less money coming into the program. Quality recruits will be less likely to commit to BYU. The fan base will lose considerable interest in the program since its unable to compete at a high level and before you know it, we will be lucky to ever be considered for BCS conference.

This is the reality facing BYU football right now and I think Bronco, the team and the fans all know its not a pretty picture. Lets hope something changes soon but Im not holding my breath.

HFrog1999

I bet it's about more than not wanting to open the books. I don't think the BYU fan is being fair to his administration. There's a reason why A&M, Nebraska, and Colorado wanted out so bad.

FROGDADDY

I bet it's about more than not wanting to open the books. I don't think the BYU fan is being fair to his administration. There's a reason why A&M, Nebraska, and Colorado wanted out so bad.

It's also not like they can't change their mind if they wanted to (not that they do). If the Big 12 wants BYU more than anyone then I'm sure the ship hasn't sailed on that line of thinking.

HFrog1999

It's also not like they can't change their mind if they wanted to (not that they do). If the Big 12 wants BYU more than anyone then I'm sure the ship hasn't sailed on that line of thinking.
Yeah, BYU has no reason to move unless they get everything they want.

froginaustin

Wishing BYU into a conference with UTx is like wishing the ex-wife from Hell onto the most selfish, sociopathic ex-business partner one can think of.

joejordan

So either we get invited or Big XII raids Big East. It's all or maybe nothing.
The way I see our current options:

Invite to B12 - I think we are a pawn in this chess match between Taxes and the old 8. If DD don't want us, we ain't getting in.

Stay the course with BE - We will have 2 years of AQ status to go East and kick [Gary Danielson]. Perhaps further burnish our reputation nationally, and earn an even better place in the pecking order. Changes will continue to be made, nationally.

Remain in MWC - With TCU, MWC has a chance of getting a provisional AQ, and regardless, we have proven that BCS games are attainable by the MWC champ.

McFroggin

The way I see our current options:

Stay the course with BE - We will have 2 years of AQ status to go East and kick [Gary Danielson]. Perhaps further burnish our reputation nationally, and earn an even better place in the pecking order. Changes will continue to be made, nationally.

Remain in MWC - With TCU, MWC has a chance of getting a provisional AQ, and regardless, we have proven that BCS games are attainable by the MWC champ.

MWC is gutted. I'd rather go CUSA than MWC. I hope the Big East survives!

McFroggin

They just reloaded with the new class. Fresno, Boise, Nevada, and Hawaii are pretty good additions, considering the supporting cast.

We need to start getting comfortable with the idea that those are big games.

UH would dominate Fresno, Nevada, and Hawaii. Those teams are a joke.

Mike Brooks

So funding their program (partially) with tithing from the Church puts the other Big 12 schools at a disadvantage but the LHN doesnt? I see.:wacko: