• The KillerFrogs

Ricky Collins - JUCO wide receiver

McFroggin

Is he just one of the top WRs in the country as a Juco or are we concerned about our current WR depth so much as to pull Juco for immediate need?

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
Is he just one of the top WRs in the country as a Juco or are we concerned about our current WR depth so much as to pull Juco for immediate need?

Kilgore doesn't have a great passing offense but he did have a tremendous YPC last season and as mentioned runs tight routes and has good hands to go with good speed. He has a burst that is for sure.

There is an experience gap that may be trying to fill.

talor

So is the consensus that this guy has some talent and can step in an get some good PT? The WR corps is pretty young.

FrogsMcGee

So is the consensus that this guy has some talent and can step in an get some good PT? The WR corps is pretty young.

Yes they are pretty young, but I think expectation is that several of the incoming true freshman will get significant PT this season. Will still be young, but not inexperienced come 2012. Kid must just be straight up legit if we are using one of our few remaining spots on him. Either that, or there are concerns about another WR exiting early. I haven't heard anything of the sort.

West Coast Johnny

Seems like an odd commit for us.

Yes, a bit odd. But I can only conclude that the coaches think he is better then the other candidates that we would likely get. My thoughts are that losing out on curtis carter & chris hawkins has made our wide receiver depth lopsided towards the young side now and perhaps they feel better about bringing in a 20 year old compared to an 18.

talor

Yes, a bit odd. But I can only conclude that the coaches think he is better then the other candidates that we would likely get. My thoughts are that losing out on curtis carter & chris hawkins has made our wide receiver depth lopsided towards the young side now and perhaps they feel better about bringing in a 20 year old compared to an 18.

That's some good logic. After my binge drinking at the Loon and 5 hours of sleep last night I need someone to do the thinking for me.

Gunner

Someone said on PM he was playing his second season at Kilgore, starting in the fall. Then, would come to TCU in January..?

If June Jones liked this guy so much, why did he not become a Pony? So let me see if I am following this right, he signed a letter of intent to SMU, didn't make the grades, went back to JUCO, then can sign with anyone? Is this a SMU leftover or is this kid really good? Shows me that SMU is scouting well for those hidden diamonds. I bet this is where the Dwight Smith scholly goes...take a risk but doesn't hurt either way?

talor

If June Jones liked this guy so much, why did he not become a Pony? So let me see if I am following this right, he signed a letter of intent to SMU, didn't make the grades, went back to JUCO, then can sign with anyone? Is this a SMU leftover or is this kid really good? Shows me that SMU is scouting well for those hidden diamonds. I bet this is where the Dwight Smith scholly goes...take a risk but doesn't hurt either way?

June Jones does a good job evaluating WR's, I'll give him that

Punter1

SMU doesn't take many JUCOs...plus now he has better or at least one better option. That's why he is not a Pony now.

Agreed...SMU does a good job either scouting or developing slot WRs.

West Coast Johnny

June Jones has a good track record evaluating wide receivers. At the same time, he should have known better than to recruit an academic risk, as kids that are approved by the NCAA clearing house are routinely denied by SMU admissions. Jones has been annoyed by this in the past and is one of the reasons why jones my bolt on SMU one day. It may have been a "sign and place" deal where a coach knows a kid won't qualify so he stashes him away at a JUCO. Any-whooo , the Stangs are very upset about TCU getting their guy. http://www.ponyfans.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=53638&sid=b35c8e5fc79b92e8e6af8af76aec711f

ReedFrawg

I also thought the commit was a bit out of left field...but so was Skye Dawson and he contributed very early. Just have to trust the staff which I am sure we all do!

asleep003

We still need the Big Uglies... and now, how many spots left..?..

No Curtis Carter/Hawkins to come next January... right.?.

Cheers!

ps - and we still have the Gonzales' spot open, right Fiesty.?.