• The KillerFrogs

Retired Numbers

hornedfrogboy41

Are we ever going to retire Jim Swink's or Bob Lilly's number? It seems they are being forgotten in TCU football history. After all of the renovation they should have a re-retirement of all of the numbers already retired with the addition of those two forgotten stars. The numbers could be displayed on the new upper deck edge kind of like the ring of honor.

Leap Frog

QUOTE(hornedfrogboy41 @ Aug 1 2010, 09:20 PM) [snapback]605704[/snapback]
Are we ever going to retire Jim Swink's or Bob Lilly's number? It seems they are being forgotten in TCU football history. After all of the renovation they should have a re-retirement of all of the numbers already retired with the addition of those two forgotten stars. The numbers could be displayed on the new upper deck edge kind of like the ring of honor.

I have been trying for years to get Swink's # retired, but all I get is they are considering it. The latest e-mail from Mark Cohen says TCU's policy will be to honor some numbers, without actually retiring them. Frog DJ told me to keep on the case, so I think I will.

Wog68

QUOTE(ricksterh @ Aug 2 2010, 02:05 PM) [snapback]606007[/snapback]
43 should be retired in basketball! :biggrin:

Couldn't agree more. It should have been done while Mickey was still alive.

frogforlife

QUOTE(hornedfrogboy41 @ Aug 1 2010, 09:20 PM) [snapback]605704[/snapback]

Problem is there are many who are deserving of their number being retired if you retire Swink's or Lilly's. Swink and Lilly made AA only 1 year. Darrell Lester was a 2 time consensus (only he and Jerry Hughes). Ki Aldrich was 2 time although consensus only once. LT deserves to be in the mix(his # is not issued by the coaches, but it is not officially retired to my knowledge).

Rags Mathews was one of the first nationally recognized Horned Frog players and is in the National Hall of Fame. Don Floyd was 2 time AA and 1 year consensus. Floyd is one of only 4 TCU players to earn AA 2 times on major AA teams. Major AA teams are those teams selected by the NCAA to determine which players earn the consensus designation. Others were Lester, Baugh, and IB Hale. And now Jerry Hughes.

Although Swink is listed in the TCU media guide as making AA in 1955 and 1956, the reality is he made no 1st team AA teams in 1956. If anyone can find one for 1956 I would like to see it.

Lilly earned most of his accolades as a Pro. If we retire a TCU number it should be for the accomplishments at TCU, not in the pros. Otherwise there are several great pros who deserve consideration.

hornedfrogboy41

If we don't retire their numbers we should put their names on display along with dutch meyer's and abe martin's.

Jim Swink came in 2nd for the Heisman and Bob Lilly is a known name and is in the College football HoF. LT was only a one year all-american.

tcudoc

Don't retire the numbers. Just make a "Ring of Honor" in the new stadium. Have an inaugural class of 6 or so and then add one every couple of years as needed.
Inaugural class:
Sammy Baugh
Davey O'Brien
Bob Lilly
Ki Aldrich
Dutch Meyer
Abe Martin

The next year, add:
LT and Jim Swink

Then add over the next few years:
Rags Matthews
Mike Renfro
Don Floyd
Jerry Hughes
Andy Dalton
Michael Reeder etc

Leap Frog

To be listed as A-A in the media guide, I believe you must have made one or more first team selections, or there would be 150 0r 200 listed. Tcu lists 32 with 13 being consensus.

When talking about Swink, you are referring to a consummate student-athlete. He made academic A-A twice, and that may be one-of-a-kind.

In addition, he is in the College hall, the Cotton Bowl hall, is a Doak Walker Legends honoree, a member of the Texas Sports hall, and was voted the best #23 of all time. I think he should have won the Heisman in 1955 (so does Dan Jenkins), but he did finish 2nd.

micahjh

I vote yes to Ring of Honor, and displaying jerseys loud and proud. But, I think retiring numbers is generally not a good idea. The Cowboys have done it the right way. The problem is that you can run out of good numbers. Plus, if the numbers have some sort of magic in them, why not keep them to give luck to the next generation! I would be in favor of having a tradition that our starting RB always wears #5, for example, or always have your best DL wear #72.

tcudoc

QUOTE(Leap Frog @ Aug 3 2010, 03:25 PM) [snapback]606580[/snapback]
To be listed as A-A in the media guide, I believe you must have made one or more first team selections, or there would be 150 0r 200 listed. Tcu lists 32 with 13 being consensus.

When talking about Swink, you are referring to a consummate student-athlete. He made academic A-A twice, and that may be one-of-a-kind.

In addition, he is in the College hall, the Cotton Bowl hall, is a Doak Walker Legends honoree, a member of the Texas Sports hall, and was voted the best #23 of all time. I think he should have won the Heisman in 1955 (so does Dan Jenkins), but he did finish 2nd.

Don't forget his Purple Heart and Silver Star and contributions to society through military service and medicine. No doubt in my mind that he is deserving of being honored by TCU. Hopefully it will occur while he is still alive.

tcudoc

QUOTE(Tio Rana @ Aug 3 2010, 03:35 PM) [snapback]606592[/snapback]
I vote yes to Ring of Honor, and displaying jerseys loud and proud. But, I think retiring numbers is generally not a good idea. The Cowboys have done it the right way. The problem is that you can run out of good numbers. Plus, if the numbers have some sort of magic in them, why not keep them to give luck to the next generation! I would be in favor of having a tradition that our starting RB always wears #5, for example, or always have your best DL wear #72.

True. If you retire as many numbers as are deserved at TCU, you would end up with too many people sharing numbers (which already occurs).

tcudoc

QUOTE(ricksterh @ Aug 3 2010, 04:36 PM) [snapback]606647[/snapback]
Where is Jim Swink these days? Is he still practicing medicine or is he retired now? :biggrin:

I don't know him, but I heard a while back that he had a stroke and was no longer practicing. I think I heard he moved back to the Rusk area or somewhere near there. I would be interested to know also if someone else has the info.