• The KillerFrogs

Remaining Basketball Recruits

whatup1

http://sportdfw.com/2011/05/10/tcus-bballs-remaining-recruiting-mavs-si-jinx-romos-golf-game-and-bynums-apology/

There is a few answers on the situation. Apparently, it will be a few weeks before another commitment

ReedFrawg

I've also wondered about Kone. Big kid. Has anybody watched him practice and can say what he looks like on the court?

Well I have seen him a little bit and he is still a "project" based on my limited observations. He looked very raw, very athletic but a little lost on the court in terms of the speed of the game, etc.

ricksterh

http://sportdfw.com/2011/05/10/tcus-bballs-remaining-recruiting-mavs-si-jinx-romos-golf-game-and-bynums-apology/

There is a few answers on the situation. Apparently, it will be a few weeks before another commitment

I think this signing period ends sometime mid May so maybe in a week more or less. When does the next signing period start so can they sign player(s) before school starts? :blink:

Any more news about the assistants? :huh:

Also as far as Kone coach C must see something or I don't think they would bring him back on scholarship for next season? :unsure:

leofrog

Sorry I missed your question yesterday. A lot of the info I get is fourth hand but I do feel very confident that it is accurate that the coaches had Anderson higher on their board in this case, and the way things went down I think it makes sense. We had been talking to Stokes for a long time, but a better opportunity arose in Anderson, whom we had scouted early, but he didn't think much of us at the time, which was pre Big East announcement and we moved on to other targets in the fall.

When Anderson was released from his LOI we pounced on the opportunity. You didn't see our coaches flying to NY to lock up Stokes at that point because Anderson was now listening to what Christian had to say and saw the opportunity he had to be a starting point guard in the Big East, which was a big part of what drew him to Providence. Meanwhile Stokes never made it here, though he wanted to come, he would have liked to have gone to Iowa too, but the Hawkeyes were no longer recruiting him.

As for the rankings, everything I have seen shows Anderson as a notch above Stokes. Espn ranks Anderson as a 3 star prospect with a score of 89. They have Stokes rated as a two star player with a score of 86. Rivals has Anderson as a 3 star and hasn't bothered to rank Stokes and Max Preps has Anderson as a 4 star player. The national ranking that I have seen for Anderson have him in the high 30s to low 40s for point guards while Stokes is not rated as high. In my opinion, Anderson is the crown jewel of the class so far, and while Stokes would have been a solid serviceable player for us, Kyan is more Division 1 ready at this time, he is a better passer and has more experience as a pg than Stokes. With a healthy wrist, Anderson is also a quality scoring threat.
Thanks Guardian.

mark32

Two things of importance from the sportsdfw quote. First, said there was 1 spot, possibly 2 open. Makes me believe no decision has been made by Moss or the coaching staff yet. Second, with this last possible commitment being drawn out, could this be a transfer player from another school? There are several guys that have left their school that we were in on: Penn PG from Okie St., Okoloji PF from Seton Hall, Nick Russell SG from Kansas St.

sandiegojack

Just saw where Shaquille Stokes committed to Hawaii. I think that was about his last option. Unless you are a star player, you might lose out by delaying a committment. But spending four years in Honolulu is not a bad thing.

sdj

LVfrog

Anderson > Stokes IMO. Anderson has a huge upside and possesses a high BB IQ and scorers touch. Mark, I believe you could be right, a transfer would make sense as there are many quality transfers that I think we would look at. Save the last scholly for next year.

impevan

Think its gonna be quiet for awhile now, but you have to be happy with what JC did (basically by himself) this spring. Anytime you improve size, athleticism (Mckinney, Crossland, and Butler), and sign 2 big east coveted prospects (Anderson and Rhoomes), I think you have done a good job. Plus if Moss is gone, my guess is it probably improves chemistry too. Sounds like the team bonded (i know they didn't win) when Moss left and that may lay the groundwork for improvement next year. I think this team as constructed can make some things happen.

purpleshades

Think its gonna be quiet for awhile now, but you have to be happy with what JC did (basically by himself) this spring. Anytime you improve size, athleticism (Mckinney, Crossland, and Butler), and sign 2 big east coveted prospects (Anderson and Rhoomes), I think you have done a good job. Plus if Moss is gone, my guess is it probably improves chemistry too. Sounds like the team bonded (i know they didn't win) when Moss left and that may lay the groundwork for improvement next year. I think this team as constructed can make some things happen.

If they bonded so well when Moss was out why is Cerina leaving? He was a big part of us even staying competitive towards the end of the year. I would assume he would have a large part of keeping the team together....

impevan

Wouldn't you think he's leaving because he fears his playing time would be less? He was a big part during the 2nd half of the year but was nonexistent in the 1st half.

mark32

Cerina is not a big loss. He was going to the 4th forward on this team behind Fields, McKinney and Rhoomes. Cerina saw the writing on the wall that his playing time was going to go down. The key, whether Moss stays or he doesn't is, can these new guys a. play and b. add to the chemistry that is already there. If they come in and think they are God's gift to basketball, we will have another frustrating year. If they come in and want to help this team win, don't care about stats, then this team will be fine. The MWC is down quite a bit from last year. Gone are BYU and Utah and Boise St. joins the league. Among the other 7 teams in conference, there are only 8 guys who averaged double figures in scoring last year. Colorado St, Bosie St, and San Diego St. do not have a guy coming back who averaged double digits. UNLV and N. Mexico should be considered the top 2 teams, but they are not world beaters. It would be nice to have a better than .500 record and finish in the top half of the league.